Tavish Adagio Phono Pre

jtsnead

Tavish Adagio Phono Pre
« on: 16 Nov 2017, 05:54 pm »
https://tavishdesign.com/products/adagio-vacuum-tube-phono-stage-mm-mc

Anybody try one of these, I am about 3 weeks a way from one being shipped to me. The questions I have is that I use multiple cartridges, main one is Ortofon Quintet Black, just got a Audio Technica ART9, also in rotation old Sumiko Talisman S and a Grace F9. The pre can be ordered with Jensen JT-44K-DX (1:10), or the  the JT-347-AXT (1:8 or 1:12 have to choose one) with such a range of cartridges would the 1:8 be the most usable one?

I am using the new Technics SL1200G just so I can change head shells for the different cartridges

Also have a Bob's with 1:20 and 1:40 step up ratios

Blu99Zoomer

Re: Tavish Adagio Phono Pre
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2017, 08:40 pm »
I got a chance to hear one of the Adagios at a CT Audio Society meeting several years ago when the designer/builder was first starting out in business.  It was played through a Tavish Designs tubed amplifier.  I enjoyed both meeting the designer/builder and my time listening to his products.  They also brought along for a listen his other two preamps.  The Adagio definitely got my vote of his three, though the two $500 units sounded nice.  I had not heard the system used that day prior to the listening session for comparison.  I have not had one in my own system either though I am sorry to say.  Listening gave me the feeling that tubed pres were the way I wanted to try next.  But I still have my Lehman Black Cube SE II.  I noticed that you had a LKV pre previously.  I will be interested to hear your comparisons as that is a highly regarded unit.  I don't believe that a step up was used the day of the listening session either.  Sorry I can't help more than encourage you to enjoy your listening...

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

CurtisIIX

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2017, 08:58 pm »
I haven't listen to the Adagio, but I can try to provide some insight in terms of phonostage gains.

The Grace F9 is a MM cart, so the Adagio has you covered with the MM inputs.

Jensen transformers has good spec sheets and application notes on their website. The JT-347-AXT appears to be significant upgrade over the JT-44K-DK in terms of measured distortion performance and DC resistance of the secondaries.

I would go with the JT-347-AXT 1:12 ratio if your preamp can handle it. The Sumiko, Ortofon and A-T MC carts are 0.26, 0.3, and 0.5 mV output, respectively.
You'll have 65dB gain from the Adagio. Add this to the -71.7, -70.5, -66 dBV output of the MC carts. Add another 18 dB for programming headroom. You end up with +11.3, +12.5, and +17 dBV peak programing - in volts, this is 3.7, 4.2 and 7.1 V. The Adagio phono preamp can handle these output levels since it has 36dB !! headroom [with a 0.5mV input]. Can your preamp handle these input levels without clipping?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2017, 09:04 pm »
Too bad it dont have point to point solid wire at this price.

jtsnead

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2017, 09:13 pm »
Thanks I am torn was thinking the 1:8 the mfg says I would be fine with the standard 1:10 that is probably the way I will go since tge other ones are a $500 add, I have  PS Audio BHK pre into Nord mono blocks

RPM123

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2017, 09:30 pm »
I have had the 1:8 ratio version since August and love it! It is very well built and comes with a 6 year warranty. The 1:8 ratio also gives you more loading options. Using it with a WTT Versalex and Kiseki Purple Heart N.S. cart. Hope you enjoy yours.

RPM123

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2017, 09:32 pm »
I forgot to add that the 1:8 uses larger transformers and will give a better bass response, providing your system is up to it.

jtsnead

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2017, 12:35 am »
Should with PSB Imagine T3

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2017, 09:23 pm »
Just curious...how long have you been waiting for this?

Every time I look at the site the Adagio is "sold out".

RPM123

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2017, 09:30 pm »
Wait time is typically about 4-5 weeks.

jtsnead

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2017, 11:05 pm »
8 weeks

RPM123

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2017, 01:12 am »
Yikes...they must be getting even more popular!

jtsnead

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2017, 06:22 pm »
Sounding good, gain is fine with standard transformers

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2017, 07:25 pm »
Looks nice on your stand!  Congratulations.  I look forward to hearing how it breaks in.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer