Will Open LP Shelves Work?

ifanpayne

Will Open LP Shelves Work?
« on: 15 Nov 2017, 05:19 pm »
I am setting up a new listening room 24ft wide, 30 ft long, and 10ft high. I have thousands of LPs that have to be shelved in that room. Instead of mounting the 8ft high LP shelves against half the length of both side walls (that is the half behind the listening position), would it be more effective, in terms of acoustic treatment to either:

1) Build the shelves a foot out from the side walls so that there is a 1ft deep, 15ft long "sound trap" in the space between the shelves and the walls
or
2) have a longer run of low (say 5ft or 6ft high) shelves running the whole length along the side walls.

Hipper

Re: Will Open LP Shelves Work?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2017, 07:28 pm »

ifanpayne

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2017, 10:14 pm »
Thank you for directing me to that video which I had not seen before. Many of the principles already knew but they re well illustrated in the video. Thanks

Two points:
1) My room is a great deal wider (24ft) than his 16ft width and he does say that diffusion could help in a wider room. Somthing for me to think about.

2) I was not as naive as the impression that I probably gave when I wrote about a freestanding wall shelf of LPs. I am well aware that neither shelves of LPs nor of books work as diffusers. What I had in mind was to have, say, 15" high shelves for the records so that there would be a gap above the records, and gaps in the records, so that sound would be able to go through to the space behind. Given the width of the room, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with a similar construction.

As I said, thanks for the link.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2017, 12:14 am »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2017, 11:31 am »
Nice big/well shaped room, a good compromise for audio and HT.  Size/shape of room should allow you to stay away from the walls and minimize the need for any treatment.

In my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room I use three 6.5ft tall by 2.5ft wide by 1ft deep bookshelf units on the side walls, filled with a 'strategic' assortment of books, binders, nik-naks, and photos to create some diffusion.  LP's being all the same size could only offer minimal diffusion IMO.

Of course based on the laws of physics diffusion typically only works down to a given frequency for the maximum depth.  Perhaps the best diffusors I've found are here:  http://www.pmerecords.com/Diffusor.cfm, but note that they weigh 23 pounds per 1.5ft square.

Hipper

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2017, 03:31 pm »
I've no experience of it. All I have is some understanding of how standard room treatment products work and I can't see using your LPs in these two ways as having much impact.

A typical room, even one that is quite large by most listening room standards, with typical box type speakers, will still likely have issues with smooth bass response. Only large bass traps, usually placed in the four wall-wall corners of the room, will have a good impact.

If no-one comes forward with experience of your ideas, you could just experiment by, for example, putting all the LPs down one side wall on the floor and listen for any change in sound.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2017, 02:08 pm »
BTW, why the interest in treatments?  What are your gripes?  Have you taken any measurements?

ifanpayne

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2017, 06:14 pm »
Thanks for all your replies. I have no "problems", only an interest in seeing how, or whether, I can improve my sound stage.