Need help setting up a Berhinger 2496 for dual sub duty

lokie

Anybody familiar with this popular processor?

Just trying to set up two subs and corresponding inputs, outputs and xover points.

Thanks

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Need help setting up a Berhinger 2496 for dual sub duty
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2017, 02:40 pm »
Anybody familiar with this popular processor?

Just trying to set up two subs and corresponding inputs, outputs and xover points.

Thanks

Hi!

Sometimes situations like this are easier to handle with sequential conversation (like a phone call) which I can't do right now since I'm traveling overseas. But perhaps these 3 links can help:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vfKcSy2tYjE

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/248-669-behringer-dcx2496-manual-41812.pdf

http://www.hifizine.com/2011/06/bass-integration-guide-part-1/

Best,
Anand.

lokie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2017, 04:07 pm »
(like a phone call)

Agree! a short phone call w someone familiar w this guy would be great. If I could just get the inputs and outputs assigned i would be off to the races.

Thanks for the links but I previously exhausted those suggestions. 

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2017, 05:04 pm »
I'm driving a pair of subs in a 3-way trip-amp'd setup through a Behringer DCX2496 and it works perfectly.  My main speakers are 2-way hybrid ESL's.  In my case it was easy:

Left channel input "A" feeds Low/Mid/High outputs 1L, 2M & 3H.  Right channel input "B" feeds outputs 4L, 5M & 6H.   
The subs connect to left & right Low outputs 1 & 4, the mid-bass woofers to 2 & 5 and ESL panels to 3 & 6. 

If you need to configure the DCX as a two-way setup for your application, you could configure as:
Input A to 1L & 2H and Input B to 3L & 4H  (channels 5 & 6 would not be used).  Subs on outputs 1 & 3 and mains on 2 & 4.       

lokie

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2017, 05:18 pm »
Thanks so far for all your post.

I had the input and outputs correct (I think) but the I had to raise the input gain by 9db.

Is that normal or OK? Can I raise it more without problems?

The sub output is still 25% lower output than the mains which are 100db efficient.

I'm pretty sure my preamp output voltage is pretty standard.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2017, 05:48 pm »
If you "need" to boost input because of too low input signal then you're not close to digital clipping inside the DCX. That's OK to do, that's why they are there, to get a strong signal to noise ratio before going into DSP section. Raise it as much as you need to achieve the levels you want. Just avoid lighting the "clip" lights on the input and output level meters during playback and you're fine.

The sub output level can be a different than the other outputs, that's OK. This is the nature of any active speaker crossover, different drivers will have different sensitivity, and the DCX can compensate for this and make them play well together.

Some tube preamps can put out 20V, so that would be too much for the DCX and would trigger the input clip light and sound distorted. SS preamps might make 2-5V or more. DCX, being a pro audio tool should have no problem handling a consumer signal level. Just use common sense and avoid the dreaded clip lights and it will all work out fine.

The clip lights merely indicate when the headroom in DSP for the signal level has been exceeded. This digital clipping sounds horrible so it's not hard to avoid it. :)