Romo hanging it up!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Romo hanging it up!
« on: 5 Apr 2017, 06:10 am »
According to news reports (and Tony Romo's twitter account) he's retiring and taking a job as a color commentator.  Kind of strange not to have ol' Romo to kick around! :lol:  That will be interesting in free agency, but the big question is- what will Satfrat do? :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Romo hanging it up!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2017, 11:31 am »
Smart.  He's been fortunate enough to make $ millions, so get out before he suffers a really serious injury.  Hopefully he's also smart enough to invest wisely.

Why do so many rich jocks blow their money when it's mindlessly simple to put it into something like a "dated" Fidelity mutual fund?

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2017, 12:00 pm »
His golf handicap is +.3...he has a future playing in "celebrity" golf tournaments and could rake in some serious appearance/speaking fees. My take is he should have tossed the cleats after college and called Butch Harmon.  He'd be a lot less banged up and could very possibly be a force to be reckoned with on the PGA Tour. Endorsement money is where its at for him now!

Bye Bye Tony  :wave:

Oh and can you teach the new kid how to throw more interceptions...

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2017, 01:08 pm »
Smart move for Romo :thumb:

he's 36 and injury prone. He can now spend more time with his wife.

Poor, poor Tony

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2017, 01:15 pm »
And he pulled down around $120,000,000 over the last 14 years.  Beautiful family, cushy well paying job in front of him, one of the top  rated QB in NFL history- life hasn't been too shabby for a free agent kid who barely made it onto the roster his first season.  The loser in this drama is the Houston Texans.  That team is QB cursed, and should have made an conditional offer. 
And by the way, Satfrat is doing just fine. 

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2017, 03:39 pm »
Why do they have to have ANOTHER Cowbore commentator???  :scratch:  They are such homers, it drives me nuts. Hate listening to Aikman during Cowbop and their division rival games.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2017, 06:45 pm »
I don't think Houston would have pulled the trigger, otherwise they would have Romo under contract today.  They know he's done, he only made it three plays this past season before he was out for essentially the whole year.  He's damaged goods and is making the right decision hanging 'em up, I congratulate him for that, not so sure the top spot in a network show is the best place for a rookie to start out.  I wish him all the best, always liked the guy even though he was on "that" team.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2017, 08:26 pm »
I think Chicago would be willing to trade Cutler for Romo!

After growing up watching me yell at the TV on Sunday's, my kids are under the impression Cultler's first name is "Dammit"

It might be fun to yell at Romo instead...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2017, 08:30 pm »
Houston is still recovering from "stealing" Osweiller away from the Broncos. Giving Romo a huge payday and having him go down for the season in August would have been enough to turn Texans away from the Texans.

I'm hoping Prescott proves to be a one and done boy wonder. Then the sports pundits can rant endlessly about giving up on ole Tony in his prime.

All I get from Romo is an image of fun loving and good natured enjoyment. He's going to be paired with Jason Witten again on the sports talk shows within a year or two. Happily ever after.

Come to think of it, isn't Tony an apt replacement for Terry Bradshaw?

I believe I read that Chicago acquired Mike Glennon to replace Cutler. Tony would be a good fit, though. He might be able to match Cutler pick for pick.

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2017, 09:39 pm »

I believe I read that Chicago acquired Mike Glennon to replace Cutler. Tony would be a good fit, though. He might be able to match Cutler pick for pick.
Romo would have to play blindfolded to throw picks like Cutler.  Cutler's career int% was 4.6, Eli 3.2, Payton Manning 2.7, and Tony Romo also 2.7.  The myth that Romo threw lots of picks doesn't stand up to scrutiny.  Career stats don't lie. 

firedog

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2017, 06:06 am »
Romo would have to play blindfolded to throw picks like Cutler.  Cutler's career int% was 4.6, Eli 3.2, Payton Manning 2.7, and Tony Romo also 2.7.  The myth that Romo threw lots of picks doesn't stand up to scrutiny.  Career stats don't lie.

Third highest career QB rating in NFL history; best 4th Q rating. Led multiple comebacks.  Also has a playoff QB rating in the 90's. For some reason people only harp on his few mistakes. Most of his career he didn't have a great team around him - either offense or defense. All those 8-8 seasons would have been 4-12 or 5-11 with most other QBs. Played hurt. Came back into game with puntured lung and broken ribs and led his team to 4th quarter comeback and over time victory.
Playoff losses?
Not because of him- he played well. Playoff wins are team victories.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2017, 10:22 am »
Third highest career QB rating in NFL history; best 4th Q rating. Led multiple comebacks.  Also has a playoff QB rating in the 90's. For some reason people only harp on his few mistakes. Most of his career he didn't have a great team around him - either offense or defense. All those 8-8 seasons would have been 4-12 or 5-11 with most other QBs. Played hurt. Came back into game with puntured lung and broken ribs and led his team to 4th quarter comeback and over time victory.
Playoff losses?
Not because of him- he played well. Playoff wins are team victories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVuQ5aw0HAQ

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2017, 12:36 pm »
Macro, so glad you found another negative thing to post.  You never disappoint.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2017, 12:38 pm »

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2017, 12:47 pm »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2017, 01:57 pm »
Macro, so glad you found another negative thing to post.  You never disappoint.
It's just data. The polarity is provided by the reader.

At worst, you can view it as a correction. Tony Romo is a guy I have always liked even though he played for an owner I despise.
His career amounts to the noted statistical triumphs terminated by the failure ultimately to bring home the bacon. Fewer rings than Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Mostly a right place, right time issue. Phillip Rivers is a better QB than Romo by my estimation and will probably be forgotten sooner.

In his new gig, he will have smaller shoes to fill since Phil really wasn't very good. I do have trouble imagining Tony chattering unnecessarily in the booth the way the networks want their color guys to bloviate. However you read it, Tony has always had more talent than luck.

S Clark

« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:19 pm »
Tony has always had more talent than luck.
That's something we can agree upon.  Well said.

firedog

« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2017, 04:51 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVuQ5aw0HAQ

I get it, one play, not as a QB, defines a career....

Proves nothing. First, he drove the team down the field at the end of the game.
Second, after that play, Seattle got the ball at about the 2 yard line. Dallas would still have had a chance if their defense could have made a play. They couldn't stop Seattle. End of game.

Get it...team game
But of course I'm sure you won't understand it. Better to be a hater.