Lets get Pickey

dflee

Lets get Pickey
« on: 13 May 2011, 02:12 pm »
I have all kinds of different guitar and mandolin picks acquired through the years and came across Pro Pleck. They really changed my sound so I started looking into others. Came across a few that look really cool but megabuck for a pick (Red Bear and Blue Chip). Has anyone out here tried the uber priced picks and what are your comments?

Thanks
Later
Don

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Lets get Pickey
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2011, 02:58 am »
Never have - what kind of price are we talking about and what exotic materials are they made of?

decal

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2011, 01:07 pm »
I use picks cut out of clorox jugs. Hey,a new circle idea "Cheap and Cheerful Guitar Picks" !!!!!!

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2011, 02:38 pm »
I'd be interested in knowing what materials the expensive ones are made of, I used drumsticks with nylon tips to get the nice clicky/chink/sparkle sound off of cymbals and playing the bell of a cymbal with the nylon tip stick was my fav...so I'm guessing picks made of different materials do the same sorta thing with guitars??

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2011, 03:44 pm »

bside123

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2011, 04:01 pm »
Modulus Graphite USA Nylon Heavy (with the embossed Modulus label)

These picks (previously made by the Modulus Bass Manufacturers) have been out of production for many years. Fortunately, I still have a small stash. When they can be found, they bring a premium. This pick is my personal preference especially for electric guitar. It's extremely stiff making it very fast, and yet has enough texture to really grab and control the string. If you drop one onto a hard counter top, the pick makes a distinct clicking sound similar to the revered tortoise shell. Great for tone... blues, jazz and expressive solo playing. If anyone knows where to get some of these, please let me know!  8)

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2011, 08:32 pm »
I shoulda figured like everything else if you want to really dig into a hobby/instrument choice there is the little extra special stuff that mae it more fun.
 I loved the guys review when he talks about the way the pick comes off the string.
Everybody who ever tried to play guitar or bass with a pick can immediately relate to that explanation, very cool picks!!!!!

Steven Stone

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2011, 03:32 pm »
I love the Blue Chip picks. I reviewed them some time back in Vintage Guitar Magazine. After several years of use, still no wear and they still feel better than any TS pick I've used.

dflee

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2011, 05:59 pm »
Steve:
Thanks for chiming in on this. Which Blue Chip are you using? They vary in price from $20 to $75. To some it may not seem like much but I really have to watch the expenditures as the wife has had three operations on her eyes with a few more to come. Is there a shop or like that one can try a Red Bear or Wegen Or Blue Chip prior to purchase? I had a conversation with a pro guitar player today and he strongly endorsed Tortoise but said he lost too many during the years.

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2011, 06:35 pm »
$20-75 for a pick????  Yikes, I lose too many to make that work, even if they sound better. 

I have a stash of old Fender heavy and extra heavy picks from the 80's but it's winding down.  Tried the newer ones but they are different.  Newer Fender picks seem to be less stiff and they wear out quicker.  These old ones are stiff and seem to be more durable.  I also have some nice stiff picks (Ernie Ball I think) that work well but I can't recall the exact model.  They are also inexpensive, which is great for a guy who misplaces picks quite frequently.  Are fancy picks worth the extra $$$?   What do they do, that old picks do not do? 

Reminds me of a story about Merle Travis, one of my favorite old-time guitarists.  Merle was walking off the stage after a show and a young guitarist came up to him and asked him what kind of strings he was using on his guitar.  Merle scratched his head and looked at the kid and said,"What kind of strings do I use?  Why, I use GUITAR strings young man...". :thumb:

RIP Merle and here is a clip of a young Mr. Travis (inventor of Travis picking) in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8x_1fD5vM

dflee

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:34 am »
Found a store in Raleigh, NC that has Wegen picks and got a chance to go by his shop on my way to look at a project. There wasn't a huge night and day type difference in guitar picks (TS 120, he did not have anything thicker in guitar) but really liked what I heard. They were $15 for a two pack so I got them. The M150 for the mandolin was a real sound opener and great on the A4 and go for $15 for a three pack. I am looking forward to see how well they hold up.
I feel that if you pay good bucks for an item you (or at least I) tend to keep track of it better. I have now had a pair of fairly expensive sun glasses for 12 years.

Later
Don

Eric

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:30 pm »
I play classical. My picks are my nails

pjchappy

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2011, 06:02 am »
I took a semester of classical guitar (finger picking) my last semester of college in 2000 (an elective).  The teacher had precisely honed, burr-free, finger nails.  It was amazing to see him play.

For about 6-years after that class, I still was unable to play worth a damn, simply because I never dedicated the time.  Nevertheless, once I finally started putting some time into the guitar, I never forgot the basics of classical guitar, as taught by the adjunct professor.  Regardless, someday I must learn how to finger pick a Strat like Knopfler, as my teacher really couldn't grasp finger picking an electric.  Screw those long-ass fingernails! :P

Paul

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm »
I had a friend, Guitarist, who's brother was like incredibly smart-MIT guy-and also played serious classical guitar and to this day he taught me more about nail care in a 10 minute casual conversation than I really wanted to know. Apparently from what my buddy said keeping your nails strong and with the right amount of flex in them is a major, major thing with classical guitarists, his brother was constantly filing them, and whatever else one does when concerned with that. He also carried with him religiously, just in case he needed it, the little fold up foot stool that was fixed at the proper height for his leg and knee to hold the guitar in the perfect position when he played. He was good but all the extraneous stuff going on made me think it was weird for some reason to even try and become good at nail maintenance/classical guitar. No groupies

dflee

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2011, 06:31 pm »
Eric
I'm not going to say I'm jealous (I really am) but not having the opportunity of having lessons, I must rely on my pick. Besides on metal strings i would bet I can get louder than your nails (as if that really mattered). I have had the Wegens for a while now and like them quite a bit. They seem to be wearing fairly well on both guitar and mandolin. Would love to try the upper echelon picks sometime but am happy where I am now.

Later
Don

dflee

« Reply #15 on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:44 pm »
That was then. This is now.
I started with a 1.2 mm pick and enjoyed the sound, but like audio equipment found the 1.4 to be a big step up. While playing with the tf140 for a while, I took a chance and bought a pick Wegen calls the Trimus 250. It is taking a while to get used to this pick but man alive what a difference in sound. The guitar sounds unbelievably clear and full of tone. If you ever get a chance to try one, go for it. And yes I'm f*$@#n nuts for paying 20 bucks on a pick.

Later
Don