Learning to play guitar (for a child)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Learning to play guitar (for a child)
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2008, 02:32 am »

drphoto

« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2008, 03:04 am »
Why does your son want to play? Does he like rock music? If so, I would suggest getting a cheap, but decent electric like a Fender Squire Strat. (used. of course) Then he can start playing power chords, which are fairly easy and sound like he's playing real rock. Most people seem start off w/ an  acoustic, learning traditional songs like 'Michael, row your boat ashore' and such, but if the kid wants to rock he'll be really bored w/ this approach.

I started playing at age 47 with this method. I can play hard rock rhythm guitar fairly well now. I stink at finger style acoustic folk. I want to learn it, but as of now I can have fun jammin' w/ my wanna be musican friends on classic rock stuff.

My lady friend's son is 12 and he's basically doing the same thing. Because he can play the stuff he likes, he's really motivated to practice.

Just MHO of course.

BTW: if you go electric, you can't beat the Roland Cube amps. Cheap, sound decent, are bombproof, and have a headphone output for everyone else's sanity. I have a nice tube amp, but I still love my little Cube 30.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2008, 11:01 am »
Bassboy, Thank you for the heads up on that. A guitar you can plug into a PC via USB. Cool stuff.

Chris, Hmm... The reviews don't look good, but one of the people said "everybody else loves theirs", almost signifying there were shining reviews listed elseware.

Dr. He's the typical nine year old with Guitar Hero. Now he thinks he's a rock and roll superstar.
I've still not bought him anything. He fiddles (no pun intended) with that acoustic but I've played around with it and it really does wear on your fingers, pretty quickly actually. Neither one of us have an callouses built up. Going electric apparently is easier.

Thanks for thinking of me Bassboy, :thumb:
Bob

lonewolfny42

« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2008, 11:14 am »
OK....more reviews....here.......and here...(mixed reviews)  :thumb:

He fiddles (no pun intended) with that acoustic but I've played around with it and it really does wear on your fingers, pretty quickly actually. Neither one of us have an callouses built up.

More practice....you do need to build up your callouses ....
then you can play all night... :wink:

One more....

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2008, 11:19 am »
Wow Chris, you sure are quick on the trigger! Thank you very much.
I haven't even tried yet to find reviews yet.  :lol:
Thanks for doing the footwork for me. Hey, why you come down here and teach us both?  aa
I have speakers you can lean on. And of course there's beer.  :wink:

Bob

lonewolfny42

« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2008, 11:24 am »
I'd make a bad teacher Bob...but thanks for the offer... :beer:

Keep playing....it gets better. :guitar:

Just happen to find this photo.... :lol:  :rotflmao:

acwd1950

« Reply #26 on: 6 Sep 2008, 12:40 pm »
Bob,
I suggest getting lighter gauge strings to start off with. They are easier to fret even if the string height is too high. I use electric guitar strings on my acoustics. Also have him ask around at school and see if any of his friends play maybe they can show him some chords and such. On the strings I use extra light gauge and you can get them cheap at walmart also. Just be careful tuning them they break fairly easy.

HTH
Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 6 Sep 2008, 12:46 pm »
Good advice Steve thank you. I didn't know about about those "string tweaks".  aa

By the way, I had to Google the meaning of "HTH"............"Hope that helps":thumb:  :lol:

Bob