Welcome to the Project Studio circle

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Welcome to the Project Studio circle
« on: 8 Sep 2007, 10:51 am »
Welcome,

This circle is a forum to discuss anything and everything related to home recording studios, mix or mastering rooms and recording technique.

There's a few 'sticky' topics which cover the broad strokes and should help anyone new to this with the basics.

Over the last decade, the price of setting up a small studio has drastically fallen.  With hardware prices tumbling, vast competition between brands, and overseas manufacturing (for good and bad) a decent studio is no longer a megabuck affair.  A functional bare-bones project studio can be put together for as little as a few thousand dollars and be able to output tracks of reasonable quality.  If you have $6K - $8K burning a hole in your pocket you could setup something quite nice.  A number of recent popular recordings have been done in studios just like this.

As with most things, there's the situation of diminishing returns. My goal is to help create a forum where we can share info so you can do more with less, find your personal price/performance sweet spot, utilize some great techniques and create your sound.

My name is AdamM, i'm your friendly neighborhood Mod here .  The standard AC rules apply: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37305.0   
Basically: no politics or religion, don't drag in outside conflict, and show respect for your fellow circle friends.

Have fun, share your thoughts - and your tracks!

Cheers,
/Adam
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2007, 07:31 am by AdamM »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Welcome to the Project Studio circle
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2007, 05:02 pm »
Good luck Adam in this new circle...its a good idea...should benefit many that are into recording and home studios.... 8)

Chris

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2007, 05:39 pm »
Hey Adam,

Best of luck with the new circle dude!  :thumb:

Always remember to arm (enable) your tracks before you press the Record button!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  8)

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2007, 09:49 pm »
Always remember to arm (enable) your tracks before you press the Record button!

How many times has THAT happened?!  Ahah

Oh and, tweaking a mic pre on the wrong channel. <twist...  twist more... twist a LOT....twist nearly all the way... wait a second! oh it's on track 4, whoops>

Another favorite i'm sure you've run into is when the talkback isn't working / armed.   You go into this long discussion about something and wait for a response... wait..... more waiting.... uncomfortably long waiting now..... then look over and hit the button again  "Jeff?"  "Yeah!?" 

/A

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2007, 10:38 pm »
Always remember to arm (enable) your tracks before you press the Record button!

How many times has THAT happened?!  Ahah

That's a classic! 

"Hey man, great solo!  Let's listen back to the playback!............Uh, why is there just Shhhhhhhhhhhhh????"

Another favorite i'm sure you've run into is when the talkback isn't working / armed.   You go into this long discussion about something and wait for a response... wait..... more waiting.... uncomfortably long waiting now..... then look over and hit the button again  "Jeff?"  "Yeah!?" 

Nah, my favorite is when I push the talkback and forget to turn down the bus to the control room monitors and they feedback into the talkback mic. OUCH!!!  :duh:

The classic dufus move!

Cheers

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2007, 10:47 pm »
Hey, Lonewolfny, DGO, thanks for the props here on this new circle :)

I thought it in my head, but realized i didn't say it

Cheers,
/A

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2007, 10:48 pm »
You forgot to press the talkback again? Is that why we didn't hear you?  :lol:

Cheers  :wink:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:17 am »
Glad to see this circle.

It has been a dream of mine to have a small studio to record acoustic music, so looking forward to good ideas and discussion.

Also, it seems that more audiophiles will have to make recordings (commercial) if we are going to have uncompressed music to listen to!

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: Condenser Microphone
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2012, 06:32 pm »
Hellllllllllllllllllllllo:

Can  someone recommend a condenser microphone for recording acoustic guitar? I have tried my behringer 800 I use for room acoustic measurement, but it does cause feedback !!!!!! I am looking for a mic with good flat response, still not too expensive.

Harrison

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2012, 07:23 pm »
I have been recording since I was about 12 years old (now 58) and have owned many, many recording machines and recording software (in recent years). I have one of the earliest Cakewalk serial numbers (3 digits) and currently run Pro Audio Nine (now it's called Sonar and owned by Roland).

A mic that I have used with great outcome is the Shure SM-94 cardioid, with the usual 48 volt phantom power requirements (tho this model can also accept a battery for non-phantomed mixers). It has a fairly flat frequency response and records acoustic guitar, mandolin or violin fairly well. Better then that, it's reasonable priced.

Wayner

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:57 am »
If you can afford the difference, go with a true capacitor condenser such as the AKG 451.  The sound quality difference is worth it, and the quality will remain when the price is forgotten.....

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2018, 05:00 pm »
Thanks for setting up this site!  I look forward to communicating with other fellows about their gear choices and techniques!

Micatel

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2020, 06:31 am »
Hi Vulcan.  I've been in the studio business for more years than I care to say  :lol:

Advanced Audio microphones in Canada make some of the most cost effective mics in the industry (they source low cost components from China built to their specs - they have some unique stuff).   Suggest looking at their CM48 which offers great headroom, good signal to noise, and multiple pick-up patterns which can greatly shape the sound of the recording...  Great value.  Use it for years on anything that makes noise - great start to a pro level mic locker. 

Also suggest you invest in a good mic pre, the Focusrite ISA series can be purchased used for very reasonable money (it's a Rupert Neve design).  It offers slight Neve coloration but still captures the instrument/voice with great fidelity.

In the meantime, if you have a Shure SM58 on hand (yep, "the $99 live vocal mic"), it can do wonders on an acoustic guitar.  Un-screw the ball windscreen, aim it at the 12th fret, and enjoy...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2020, 08:38 am »
The OP says something quite nice for $6-8k, how nice is it today ?

Per chance 24/192 or DSD64 ?

Micatel

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2020, 08:02 am »
Hi FRM!   I was hoping no one saw my post since I misread the date and accidentally revived a couple year old thread - guys my age should ALWAYS wear glasses at night  :oops:    :lol:

Since you asked, ...happy to offer an opinion.  $6-$8K goes a long way today; it's enough to invest in new ("prosumer") equipment that will yield truly pro level results.

For $7K, one can buy enough gear to multi-track and mix a full band.  Here's one suggested path to be specific:

DAW and Computer
$300 Protools DAW license
$1200 computer (Protools users typically chose Mac - based on legacy prioritized SW releases tested on Apple machines)

Interface
$1500 Antelope Audio Discrete 8 interface, 24 bit/192 Khz, 8 built-in mic pres, lots of I/O, and reference quality analog monitor outs.  Internal DSP runs included plug-ins - low latency and easy on CPU usage.   Excellent A/D, D/A performance with great clock stability (proprietary designs).

Vocal Chain
$800 outboard mic/eq pre for vocal chain.  Warm Audio '73 is an outstanding value. 
$800 Klark Teknik  1176 KT and L2A (compressor and limiter)

Mics
$400 Shure drum pack, 3-SM57s and a Beta 52A
$800 AA pair of CM48 condensor mics
$100 Shure SM58

Monitors/headphones
$900 Presonus Sceptre 8 coaxial monitors
$70. AKG 240

Misc
$300 cables, stands, pop filter

There are more quality choices today than ever.  While gear is critical, having great players with well cared-for instruments making lush in-room sounds is the number one prerequisite to quality recordings.  To capture it requires expertise including managing the acoustic environment that will ultimately determine the quality of the recording.   

Today's DAWs with a good plug-in suite allows one to "fix it in the mix" to a degree but getting good sounds into the machine as close to mix-ready is actually easier in a home setting (since your not paying by the hour to track) and yields better results.    :) 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2020, 08:49 am »
Thanks Micatel its a interesting list price.