OK, so anyone here play anything *other* than a guitar ;)

JohnR

...or drums!!

I played the cello for nearly two years as an adult. The only instrument I ever played (out of four) that I "connected" with. I was really quite bad, but what do you expect?! ;) The fact is that I'm a much better engineer than I am a musician. Oh well. Still, I'm considering taking it up again.

grub

« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2003, 03:43 pm »
I play the bass trombone (does anyone know what that is?)...actually, I just got a degree in bass trombone performance a month ago.  Since I still have plenty to learn about playing it, I'm going to go to grad school in Cincinnati and continue my training.

Sometimes I wish I was a better engineer than a bass bonist though, cause the pay is MUCH better!! ; )
-->grub

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2003, 05:17 pm »
I like to beat on my array of drum machines for a good hour or so after work.  Great way to ease stress.  I've got a Boss DR-660, a DR-770 and an Alesis DM-Pro all layering different sounds together.  What's really fun is if I can get a guitarist to jam along with me.  Doesn't happen too often though.  I have thought about trying my hand at real drums, but I can't get my feet to cooperate.

The only problem with the pads is that it is really hard to get dynamics.  The 770 has much greater sensitivity than the 660 though.  It's got some programming quirks which prevent me from using it for that, though.

Really good drum hit samples are hard to come by, and the really good ones are too big to fit on the DM-Pro.  That Gigasampler thing is pretty wicked, but I strongly dislike mixing computers and audio hardware.  I've played with Cakewalk a bit, but it is ultimately too frustrating.

mojoman

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2003, 05:34 pm »
Besides guitar I played tenor trombone from 4th grade through college (and yes grub I do know what a bass trombone is) including a couple of years in a small town symphony (made 45 bucks per rehearsal and 60 for a performance, does that make me a professional musician :lol:) and in a 19 piece big band.  I learned enough piano to complete a minor in music theory.  I've also experimented with flute and  alto sax but never went very far with either of those.  I can play enough mandolin to know I suck at it but would like to get better.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2003, 10:15 pm »
I played the trumpet for 6 years in school then another year in college in a goof-off, few gigs here at there, ska band.

House de Kris

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2003, 01:24 am »
Started on a Baroque recorder, then switched to alto sax.  Then discovered electronics and started building many synthesizers.  That was when I had more time than money.  Now I buy factory built equipment.  If I were to list my favorite instruments, I'd probably list everything.  Keeping it down to three, the Korg Prophecy, Nord Modular Rack, and F.A.T. FreeBass.

A picture of my studio is in a completely unrelated thread at: HdK Studio at the very bottom of the page.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2003, 03:03 pm »
Well, besides the guitar and drums I do play an old Emerson AM radio model 744 series B.The knob on the left works the volume,knob on the right works the tuning.Not much music but lots of news and talk ! :D  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Harlots+of+42nd.+Street&btnG=Google+Search

cyounkman

sort of ex-serious musician
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2003, 06:25 am »
I started playing the piano when I was 6. I did competitions and so forth, and got into Oberlin, where I studied piano performance and political science.

Now I'm -- surprise! -- a consultant for a software company. Go figure.

I don't play much any more, but my wife (who studied at the Royal Conservatory here in Toronto) and I are determined to start again.

So my system is a big emotional crutch / angst well into which I pour all my guilt for not pursuing music professionally like all my friends who didn't sell out.

RR

Other Instruments
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2003, 08:21 am »
I played trombone too.  5th grade through college and some beyond.  Pretty good, not great.  Spent one summer at Eastman, got to play in the trombone choir.  Other than that some community orchestras, some recordings - no one you know. :lol:

Here I am going for that high F  :oops:

KevinW

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2003, 09:00 pm »
Color me eclectic...  (as if you didn't already know that)

I play congas, djembes, udu, and other percussion with some moderate talent level.  I also play didgeridoo pretty good for a non-aborigine