Yer guitar

DTH

Yer guitar
« on: 30 Apr 2003, 03:34 am »
Alright, so this seems like a reasonable conversation for this group. We are all gearheads here, so talk about your gear. And if your instrument is something other than a guitar, let's hear about that as well.

Mine:

1974 Fender Telecaster Deluxe. For those of you not familiar, the popular opinion is that the Telecaster Deluxe was meant to compete with the Gibson Les Paul. It has 2 Humbuckers and a Strat neck. Much bigger sound than the traditional Telecaster. I play it through a recent Fender Pro Junior, 60 watts, tube combo(one speaker). It is a small amp, but plenty loud for playing in my house.

2003 Martin D-15. This was a recent purchase, I am getting back into playing again and wanted to avoid annoying my wife & neighbors,  my amp does not really sound good until it is a little on the loud side. This Martin is a low priced(for Martin) Mahagony dreadnought. I am very happy with it. It is not as lively as a D-28, but I can justify that kind of $ until I am much better.

Hantra

Yer guitar
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2003, 02:12 pm »
Well, my main axe is a 2002 Martin D-16RGT, and my old one that I no longer play is a '98 Fender DG-25S with a cedar top.  The Fender was my first guitar, and after playing the Martin, I realize just how bad I had it while learning on the Fender.  hehe  The action is amazingly high, but any lower is intolerable.  I had Tony Rice sign this one a couple of years ago, so I put it away for good when I got the Martin.

DT, I like the D-15, and I would encourage you to try the D-16RGT when you get ready to upgrade.  I really couldn't afford what I wanted, which is the Santa Cruz Tony Rice model.  That's the nicest guitar I have ever played, and although I love the D-18GE, the TR would win that battle for my 3G's.  

Anyhow, the D-16RGT is shouting distance from the 28.  She is solid East Indian rosewood back and sides with a solid spruce top.  The only difference between my 16RGT, and the 28 is the fingerboard, bridge, and pickguard.  The fingerboard and bridge are Micarta, and the bridge pins are graduated.  I will bet that the 28 will go to a similar bridge design.  The bridge pins are now parallel to the saddle.  This makes all the strings break at the same angle, and they sound more consistent because of it.  The pickguard on my 16RGT is the tortoise type that the HD has.

There are arguments about Micarta, but I will tell you that in my mind, it takes nothing away.  Micarta is much more consistent than ebony, and its properties are very similar.  Vibrational properties are actually better than ebony, but you'll never hear that from any of the die hards.  

Anyhow, the 16RGT is the best value in the Martin stable, and I am proud to own one.  I will say that if I fall into lots of money, I am getting the Santa Cruz, or the D-18GE if I find a good deal.  Guitars are worse than audio.  hehe

B

Arctos

Yer guitar
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2003, 02:47 am »
Greetings,
I just noticed this forum on Audiocircle!!  I have not played in many years, but I own a 1980 Fender Stratocaster (serial # S938019).  I also play drums (again, not for many years) and my set is a 1960's Ludwig "trap" set in White Marine Pearl.  I really don't know much about my guitar, but I liked the sound when I played years ago and it was easy to play due to the thin neck (I think it is maple), though I was never very good.  I bought it used back in 1982.  It is in decent shape, with some wear on the pickups from the pick, and the back plate covering the "whammy bar" hardware is not very tight anymore.

I have thought of selling it recently, as I would like to see it used by someone that still plays, but I'm not sure that I want to part with it.

Regards,

RDS

nathanm

Yer guitar
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2003, 03:41 am »
I currently play an ESP Horizon.  Before that I played guitars I had built myself (electrics).  They turned out pretty good, but I didn't go to the proper lengths to make them strong enough.  Consequently the necks bowed out of shape over time. (no truss rods)  If I did it again I would buy a pre-built neck and make my own body I think.

I still have never owned a guitar amp though, which is a shame.  I play through a SansAmp GT-2 and a SansAmp Bass DI unit plugged into my mixing console.  For apartment living it just makes sense.  I would love to be able to record proper guitar with a mic and blaring cabinet, but it just isn't gonna happen in this place. :(  I am intrigued by real low wattage amps though such as London Power and such.  I would like to own both a Marshall and Mesa Boogie head one of these days.  They just aren't condusive to thin-walled apartments unfortunately.

Hantra

Yer guitar
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2003, 01:34 pm »
I still have never owned a guitar amp though, which is a shame.

That's not really a shame.  I haven't owned an amp either, but with the Martin, you don't really need it.  It's a cannon at times. . .   ;-)

RD, if you sell that Fender, post it here first. . . What color is it ? ?  I really want the EC in black, but for that kind of loot, I'd be half way to my dream guitar. . .

mojoman

Yer guitar
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2003, 09:56 pm »
I have a few quitars.  My primary one is a 1979 Martin HD-28 that I bought from a music store going bankrupt.  This is the best acoustic guitar I've ever played.  I also own a 1974 Guild F-50.  I had it custom made with a half sunburst finish.   The sides and back are sunburst and the top is clear.  I like this guitar but it's real heavy.   It doesn't get played as much since the Martin came around.  As a knock around guitar I own a Taylor Baby.  It's the guitar I take to the beach or camping.  It can be easily replaced whereas the other two can't.  For electric stuff I use a Godin LGX that I had made with Seymore Duncans instead of the Godin pickups.  It has an LR Baggs acoustic transducer in the bridge and through the right amp can sound very much like an acoustic guitar.  I've had a bunch of guitars over the years but these have been the stable for going on 4 years now.  About the only other guitar I'd like to get someday is some version of an ES-335.  Probably would look at the Heritage guitars because they seem to be better made then the Gibsons and a lot cheaper.

Hantra

Yer guitar
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2003, 01:08 pm »
Looks like we might have to get a NC guitar/hi-fi get together!  

That HD-28 should almost be broken in by now. . .   ;-)

mojoman

Yer guitar
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2003, 09:04 pm »
Quote from: Hantra

That HD-28 should almost be broken in by now. . .   ;-)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yeah it's just about right.

Any NC folks close to Carborro looking for some good music, Peter Rowan is playing at the Cat's Cradle on Saturday.  Show starts around 9 or so.

Hantra

Yer guitar
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2003, 10:03 pm »
Mojo. . .

PLEASE tell me TR is playing with him. . .  

Is it the Texas Trio? ? ?

B

mojoman

Yer guitar
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2003, 01:43 pm »
Hantra,

I don't think it's the Texas Trio.  It's billed as Peter Rowan's Reggaebilly but I can't seemed to find who is in that band.  I think it will be a band composed of Jamiacan reggea players.  Jerry Douglas plays on the cd so maybe he'll be there.  Regardless, it should be a great show.

Hantra

Yer guitar
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2003, 02:01 pm »
Unfortunately, my wife has Dixie Chics tix for that night, and I HAVE to go. . .  But if Tony was playing, I'd scalp those in a minute!  ;-)  I saw Jerry there a few months ago, and he is amazing live. . .

B

BlackCat

Yer guitar
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2003, 02:52 pm »
My favourite:  Ric 360 - Jet black
Others I play occasionally
Ibanez RG-470  Metallic Blue
Ibanez Iceman (original, not the new knockoff) - black
Schecter C-1 natural (nice but all that inlay on the fretboard is distracting)
Martin 000-15 acoustic (blonde)
Cordoba 12-string classical (gut strings)
I have about 8 others, I don't play them too much anymore, but couldn't bear to part with them.

Amps:
Usually play through my new Line6 2x12 Stereo Flextone, eliminates the need for lots of pedals.
Also love the old Fender amps, use an old Princeton Chorus for casual playing in the home.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Yer guitar
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2003, 05:10 am »
Really enjoying this topic! There are a few NC acoustic cats around here!

Mojo - let me know if you find any other Martin dealers going bankrupt...

I also have a mahogany Martin 000-15 which I bought in 2000 after a few years of playing only a generic Classical guitar. It is decent guitar (mahogany is supposed to be a great sound for acoustic blues) and when you open the case and pull it out you get a shot of aroma therapy from the mahogany soundbox.

My baby is a Doolin custom OM style guitar, December 2000. The double cutaway and pinless bridge is standard. I got the 1-7/8" neck for my long fingered pickin.

My fourth guitar is a Korean Fender Squier-Strat which I rarely play.

mojoman

Yer guitar
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2003, 05:20 pm »
Quote from: jqp
Really enjoying this topic! There are a few NC acoustic cats around here!

Mojo - let me know if you find any other Martin dealers going bankrupt...

I've been looking for another one of those myself.  :)

That Doolin is a sweet looking guitar. I've never heard of it until now.  Did you buy it local?  I want to know more...

Dozer

Yer guitar
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2003, 10:05 pm »
2002 Martin HD28V
2002 Martin D18V
1997 USA Strat Plus
2001 G&L ASAT Special

I don't know what I was thinking - I can't play a lick.  All of them are for sale now.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome is even more insidious on guitars than it is on hifi stuff - way worse!

PM me if you might want to buy any of the above listed guitars.  $1800, $1600, $700, $700.

Rocket

hello
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jun 2003, 02:15 am »
hello guys,

a muso friend of mine has offered to sell his godin electric guitar to me.  he is also a teacher and has offered several free lessons to me, so i can get started.

as i'm not familiar with this name (he indicated that the godin guitars are quite good), i was wondering if you can comment on the guitar in general terms.

the list price (australia) was $1100au it is about 4 years old in good condition and he is selling it for $500 au.  are godin guitars similiar in quality terms as fender/gibson.

regards

rod

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Yer guitar
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2003, 04:31 am »
mojoman wrote:

I've been looking for another one of those myself.  :)

That Doolin is a sweet looking guitar. I've never heard of it until now.  Did you buy it local?  I want to know more...

I ordered it via the internet from Portland. I did talk to the luithier a couple of times on the phone after I had done a lot of research. I just couldn't find any decent guitars I was willing to buy in Charlotte or in Boone. We had a Martin dealer in Charlotte, McIntyre Guitar, but they had moved hours away.

I got the "barebones" version of the Valerie model - regular ebony binding, no inlay on the ebony fretboard. I did get the 1-7/8" neck which is great for my fingerpicking. I also do a lot of flatpicking. This guitar really booms it out and has great voicing - he takes special care to voice it and makes sure the fretting is accurate all over the neck.

The guitar shipped in its case inside a giant fedex box.

It made it that much easier to order 80lb marble speakers from Thailand!

mojoman

Re: hello
« Reply #17 on: 7 Jun 2003, 03:17 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
hello guys,

a muso friend of mine has offered to sell his godin electric guitar to me.  he is also a teacher and has offered several free lessons to me, so i can get started.

as i'm not familiar with this name (he indicated that the godin guitars are quite good), i was wondering if you can comment on the guitar in general terms.

the list price (australia) was $1100au it is about 4 years old in good condition and he is selling it for $500 au.  are godin guitars similiar in quality terms as fender/gibson.

regards

rod

Godin makes a lot of different styles of guitar.  Do you know the model you're buying.  I play a Godin LGX and can say its a great instrument.  I had mine made with Seymore Duncan pickups rather then the stock Godin ones.  It has a great neck and a beautiful quilted maple top.  Plays like butter.   I saw Al DiMeola a couple of months ago and he plays a Godin Multiac acoustic electric.  IMO, they are well made and attractively priced.  Most people who have played my guitar think it costs a whole lot more then I paid for it.  In many ways I think Godins are a much better value then any fender or gibson.

Hope that helps some.  

http://www.godinguitars.com/

mojoman

Yer guitar
« Reply #18 on: 7 Jun 2003, 03:21 pm »
Quote from: jqp
mojoman wrote:

I ordered it via the internet from Portland. I did talk to the luithier a couple of times on the phone after I had done a lot of research. I just couldn't find any decent guitars I was willing to buy in Charlotte or in Boone. We had a Martin dealer in Charlotte, McIntyre Guitar, but they had moved hours away.

I got the "barebones" version of the Valerie model - regular ebony binding, no inlay on the ebony fretboard. I did get the 1-7/8" neck which is great for my fingerpicking. I ...

It is one sweet looking guitar.  I found their web site and read all about it. This is the first acoustic I've seen and long time that has me lusting after it. Gotta resist.....

Rocket

hello
« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2003, 02:49 am »
hello mojoman,

thanks for replying to my post.  i'm going to my friend's house this week and will find out more regarding the model number.

i've always wanted to play electric guitar and i think it is a good offer.  especially including the music lessons for me.  i played the trumpet for 10 years (and still do on occasions) and regretted this as i really like rock music.  trumpet playing and rock music don't really intertwine.

thanks and i will let you know more details.

regards

rocket