Recommend us a Turntable.

neekomax

Recommend us a Turntable.
« on: 4 Feb 2018, 04:02 am »
Long time listener, first time caller.

My beloved girlfriend has a pretty great vinyl collection that she started at the age of 10 (we're both in our early 40's). I'm a musician, audiophile, and general music freak, and all I want to do is get her a turntable worthy of our love for music, and each other.

Cool part is, I already have a kick-ass system that takes care of everything after the phono pre.

Under $500, what do you recommend? 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Recommend us a Turntable.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2018, 04:09 am »
Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-QL-Y44F-Turntable-in-VGC/152869694044?hash=item2397be6a5c:g:Z5sAAOSwnlFaXyeq
Several of the JVC, Denons, even a Pioneer PL 570 fits in your price range, and provide excellent sound and full auto. Is auto a requirement for the girlfriend?

mca

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:39 am »
Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-QL-Y44F-Turntable-in-VGC/152869694044?hash=item2397be6a5c:g:Z5sAAOSwnlFaXyeq
Several of the JVC, Denons, even a Pioneer PL 570 fits in your price range, and provide excellent sound and full auto. Is auto a requirement for the girlfriend?

No, I don't think manual operation is a problem, if it means a better or more reliable musical experience.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:42 am »
https://uturnaudio.com/collections/all

Thank you. Nice lookin site.

Are these turntables free of the sort of low end bugs I hear about from other models? I.e. - speed problem, stylus alignment issues, etc...

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2018, 07:09 am »
Frank really likes his uturn Orbit, and speaks highly of it's build quality. As I'm sure you know he doesn't give recommendations lightly.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150324.msg1608237#msg1608237 

See the last post.

restrav

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2018, 07:21 am »
i would caution against vintage turntables. modern designs pretty much unanimously sound better, give you less grief, and have warranty.
i have never heard a vintage TT as quiet as a modern $500 TT or have more definition and extention.

Lol999

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2018, 09:37 am »
Under $500 - something from the Rega range.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2018, 01:35 pm »
I've only seen and heard a couple new, entry level turntables and never been impressed. I'd put the Technics SL D2 against any of them. A wonderful starter turntable.

Here's one on Craigslist: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ele/d/technics-sl-d2-direct-drive/6483714806.html

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2018, 01:36 pm »
double post

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2018, 01:39 pm »
Project DC Carbon and ask for an upgrade from the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge to something better

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2018, 03:54 pm »
i have never heard a vintage TT as quiet as a modern $500 TT or have more definition and extention.
We have had different experiences.  The Technics SP10- MKII is easily comparable to modern $2K tables.  I'd put several vintage tables against a low end Rega. 
But I agree that the Orbit looks like a great value.

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2018, 03:58 pm »
I bought my 24 yo daughter a loaded U-Turn Orbit with a Grado, acrylic platter, builtin phono stage, etc for well under $500. She is absolutely thrilled with it, using it with a pair of AudioEngine 5 powered speakers. It took less than 15 minutes for her to set up by herself and be playing, right out of the box. Highly recommended.

restrav

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2018, 04:07 pm »
We have had different experiences.  The Technics SP10- MKII is easily comparable to modern $2K tables.  I'd put several vintage tables against a low end Rega. 
But I agree that the Orbit looks like a great value.

well i guess if you get a good deal get lucky not to end up with something that will enbd up with expensive and time consuming repairs then you can fgind some sweet sounding vintage gear.

my research lead me to this for the best value in the world of TT:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pro-ject-debut-carbon-esprit-sb-turntable-beatles-1964-edition-white-and-black/5655630.p?skuId=5655630

the platter ANd THE SPEED CONTROL upgrades make it a screaming deal IF YOU DONT MIND THE UNINSPIRED AND KINDA  generic beatles themed design. pro-ject's dc motors have been criticized QC wise but even if you end up putting a new motor in every 2 years for the next 5 years still it would be a bargain. that tone arm, that performance,the speed control, the decent mm cartridge for that price is pretty sweet.

neekomax

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:28 pm »
well i guess if you get a good deal get lucky not to end up with something that will enbd up with expensive and time consuming repairs then you can fgind some sweet sounding vintage gear.

my research lead me to this for the best value in the world of TT:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pro-ject-debut-carbon-esprit-sb-turntable-beatles-1964-edition-white-and-black/5655630.p?skuId=5655630

the platter ANd THE SPEED CONTROL upgrades make it a screaming deal IF YOU DONT MIND THE UNINSPIRED AND KINDA  generic beatles themed design. pro-ject's dc motors have been criticized QC wise but even if you end up putting a new motor in every 2 years for the next 5 years still it would be a bargain. that tone arm, that performance,the speed control, the decent mm cartridge for that price is pretty sweet.

Interesting, thanks. Guess it's on deep discount because of how totally fugly it is.

neekomax

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:35 pm »
I bought my 24 yo daughter a loaded U-Turn Orbit with a Grado, acrylic platter, builtin phono stage, etc for well under $500. She is absolutely thrilled with it, using it with a pair of AudioEngine 5 powered speakers. It took less than 15 minutes for her to set up by herself and be playing, right out of the box. Highly recommended.

Leaning towards an Orbit. But every now and then I hear feedback like the motor isn't smooth or some or other dealbreaker. Seems to be a thing with these cheaper TTs. There's no unanimity on their quality, whichever one I research.

For instance, this comprehensive video review with measurements and whatnot makes you not want to buy any of the three in the shootout (Pro-Ject Primary, AT LP120, Team TN300). Like, at all. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LzV45Ha30

TomS

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2018, 06:17 pm »
Leaning towards an Orbit. But every now and then I hear feedback like the motor isn't smooth or some or other dealbreaker. Seems to be a thing with these cheaper TTs. There's no unanimity on their quality, whichever one I research.

For instance, this comprehensive video review with measurements and whatnot makes you not want to buy any of the three in the shootout (Pro-Ject Primary, AT LP120, Team TN300). Like, at all. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LzV45Ha30
All I can say is that for my daughter, a complete non-audiophile (no OCD to worry about!), she would never know or care unless it simply fails. Perfection is the enemy of just making her happy, which she is  :thumb:

neekomax

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2018, 07:54 pm »
All I can say is that for my daughter, a complete non-audiophile (no OCD to worry about!), she would never know or care unless it simply fails. Perfection is the enemy of just making her happy, which she is  :thumb:

That's a great point, and I'm happy to hear it. Just want the table to sound good to me as well, so we can enjoy it together.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2018, 08:25 pm »
Project debut Carbon @ $400 is the no-brainer. $100 will get you a serviceable Project phono preamp. Do spend a bit more to improve the throw away RCAs it comes with. Even $25 Wireworld Terra’s would be a big a step up.

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2018, 08:47 pm »
Neeko,
I'd swap a decent vinyl rig for those SAM 1's.  I've always lusted over a pair of those.  :thumb:

Scott