BDP-1 Troubleshooting

c_note

BDP-1 Troubleshooting
« on: 10 Dec 2017, 10:29 pm »
James, I hope you can help me.  For the past several weeks, my BDP-1 has not been able to play.  The display reads:

BDP1 000536  Error 05
R0 2.0 2010-10-19  220

I've turned the machine off, disconnected the power cord, and rebooted numerous times, with no luck.

Any suggestions?  Thank you!

zoom25

Re: BDP-1 Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm »
Is this plugged into a power conditioner, isolation transformer or something like that?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2017, 10:54 pm »
Mine's been plugged into a power cond for eternity, no issues.

Flash card maybe?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2017, 01:40 am »
Error 05 is over voltage, voltage on the power line is to high.  You may want to try pulling the power cord and plugging it back in to allow the micro to reset if you haven't already.  Some power isolaters/conditioners that use a large transformer could be bumping the voltage high enough, if your using one of these you can try plugging the bdp directly into the wall.  Have you changed your hard drive configuration? Assuming your using USB hard drives.

Chris
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2017, 04:02 pm by unincognito »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2017, 03:12 pm »
James, I hope you can help me.  For the past several weeks, my BDP-1 has not been able to play.  The display reads:

BDP1 000536  Error 05
R0 2.0 2010-10-19  220

I've turned the machine off, disconnected the power cord, and rebooted numerous times, with no luck.

Any suggestions?  Thank you!

Error 05 is over voltage, voltage on the power line is to high.  You may want to try pulling the power cord and plugging it back in to allow the micro to reset if you haven't already

Chris

Chris,

I think the OP has tried that already....as indicated on their orig post

c_note

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2017, 03:49 pm »
You were right: it was a voltage problem.  I had the unit plugged into a voltage-regulated outlet on my new power conditioner.  I simply switched  to an un-regulated outlet, and the problem disappeared. 

Sincere thanks to all: never in a million years would I have guessed this was the problem!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2017, 03:55 pm »
why would a voltage-regd outlet cause spikes/over-loading?  :scratch:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2017, 04:06 pm »
You were right: it was a voltage problem.  I had the unit plugged into a voltage-regulated outlet on my new power conditioner.  I simply switched  to an un-regulated outlet, and the problem disappeared. 

Sincere thanks to all: never in a million years would I have guessed this was the problem!

is it adjustable? Or do you have your power amp connected to it?  If you have a power amp connected to it, then turning the power amp on first could cause the voltage to sag just enough to bring it into tolerance for the BDP.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2017, 04:24 pm »
why would a voltage-regd outlet cause spikes/over-loading?  :scratch:

If its anything like our BIT or BIT AVR products then it uses an enormous transformer which when not under any significant load will increase the voltages output by a handful of volts.  Remember one of the main benefits of these products is to make sure the power is available when the system needs it and a large power transformer is a great way of doing this and also provides isolation.  If your line voltage is already a smidge high (because 120v service is never 120v exactly) then this extra couple of volts from the transformer could push it outside of the BDP's tolerance, its not unheard of to get up to 127-130v, just not very common.  If you can load down the BIT and/or BDP though like connecting and power more devices on the BIT or usb hard drives to the BDP you can cause a voltage sag and correct the problem.  The BDP's acceptable voltage range is more narrow then any other electronics we sell, but that's due to the nature of the device and the power supply.  The BDP requires quite of bit current because its essentially a low spec'd desktop computer, but because its audiophile orient it uses a linear supply, this combination generates all lot of heat that needs to be dissipated and its billed as a no moving parts system (no fans).  The BIT AVR should be able to compensate for this as its capable of adjusting the line voltage by 5v increments, so if the line is a bit high or a bit low then it can adjust it up or down.

Chris

Chris

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2017, 07:40 pm »
Good explanation. Thanks Chris.  :thumb: