getting out of itunes

jazzing up

getting out of itunes
« on: 22 Nov 2017, 01:30 pm »
finding that room for storing cd’s was pushing me out the door a friend suggested storing them on the computer.  i’m regretting the move because i’m in the clutches of itunes.  is there anyway i can access my itunes library and play my music independent of itunes?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: getting out of itunes
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:08 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC jazzing up  :thumb:  I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions to address your issue, lots of knowledgeable & helpful folks here abouts.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:14 pm »
Many music player programs (JRiver, Vox, Audirvana, etc.) will import all your iTunes songs and play them in a new window.  Programs like BitPerfect, Pure Music, etc. use the iTunes window and work in the background.  Do a little checking around to see which interface fits your needs best.  Some programs are free, some cheap and others (roon) are pretty pricey.  Good luck in your search and glad you've joined Audio Circle.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2017, 03:12 pm »
Welcome jazzing up :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2017, 04:12 pm »
  is there anyway i can access my itunes library and play my music independent of itunes?

Drag your music files from iTunes to another folder (e.g. external pocket drive). Then use something like VLC or JRiver to play back. (They also playback Flac/hi-res if that's what you're into...)

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2017, 06:47 pm »
Welcome!

kgturner

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2017, 08:45 pm »
I like JRiver. Since you have iTunes, it might be safe to assume you have an iPhone. You can download the JRemote app and use your phone to control your library. I'm sure there are other solutions. I just chose JRiver for it's ease of use and relatively large user base.

Kevin T

decal

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2017, 09:42 pm »
I'm another JRiver convertee. Easy to use, even for a tech illiterate schmuck like me!!!!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2017, 10:54 pm »
Welcome to the best place in the world to ask audio questions and have lots of folks want the help you spend some money.

There is a Disk less Circle where questions are asked and answered.

You might mention how many CD's and equipment and that cash of money only you know about.  And then post pictures.

Welcome  Alan

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2017, 02:17 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, jazzing up.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2017, 11:12 pm »
iTunes the store or iTunes the program?

I use PureVinyl player which uses iTunes as an interface and improves the quality of the output. iTunes gets a bit clumsy if you have lots of tunes (and supposedly gets worse with newer versions, i am running OSX 10.8 on my dedicated macMini.

I was just looking at Roon, which can directly access the iTunes Library. At some point i will see if it matched the sound quality of PureVinyl + iTunes.

dave