Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

gregfisk, sfox7076, rwolters and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 34860 times.

bavmike

• Industry Participant
Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before
« Reply #640 on: 21 Nov 2017, 09:28 am »
Hi Mike,

Thank you and very fast action from you. I am able to place one order for 2-channel amp. I am satisfied customer of yours and will put my money where my mouth is anytime when you bring in some killer products into the market.

Thanks Peter. You’re a good man and I’ll always have great products available for you and your friends to enjoy.

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #641 on: 21 Nov 2017, 09:30 am »
There's only one way to find out the answer to your question.  :lol:

The Gaoliang was a gift from someone I've known since about 1990. The Solist I bought on the flight in to Taiwan. I love this stuff, but it costs an arm and a leg. It costs $97 USD here, but about $150 in Oregon/WA. I buy a bottle every time I come here. It won't last long once it is opened, I'm afraid.

Sounds like good times! :) Put on some great music and enjoy!

maty

• Nauscopio Scipiorum
« Reply #642 on: 21 Nov 2017, 09:36 am »

Yes it's a nice sounding unit. A bit on the soft and lush side for folks who like that kind of sound. However with this amp there's absolutely no listening fatigue even with completely neutral preamp's. Or DAC direct to the amp. If you want to hear what your front end truly sounds like, this amp will let you know. It won't lie, and it won't add any coloration or fatigue of it's own to the mix...

SPL Volume 2  about €340

https://spl.info/en/products/monitor-controller/volume2/overview.html

*** Manual [PDF], with graphs: https://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/anleitungen/english/Volume2_2612_BA_E.pdf

[Review, 2010] http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/spl/volume2.html  with graphs and inside picture

Neutrik D Shape Adapters , with autotransformers to XLR <--> RCAAbout €33.

NA2M-D2B-TX RCA red

-> http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/inline-adapters/na2m-d2b-tx

NA2M-D0B-TX RCA black

-> http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/inline-adapters/na2m-d0b-tx

Miniature transformer balancing adapter, 3 pole XLR male - RCA / phono socket, black coded

Miniatur transformer balancing adapters

Low cost solution for unbalanced/balanced line conversion and passive DI applications, where no earth or gain switching is required

Audio transformer 1:1
Impedance ratio: 200:200
Source/load impedance in Ohm: 200/2k, (600/10k)
Max. Input level (@ 50 Hz, 1% THD): -3 dBu

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #644 on: 21 Nov 2017, 03:40 pm »
The reason I chose Zenwave Dave to be the cable supplier is not because we are buddies that go way back. In fact I only actually know Dave from a few forum and email exchanges. The real reason is Neotech was the first cable I actually heard a profound difference in sound with my own ears. And Dave is a straight up guy offering Neotech based cables with no BS, and very low profit margins compared to the rest of the industry. Very few people know that Neotech is actually the house brand of the Wan Lung cable company:

http://www.wanlung.com.tw/

These guys manufacture in house the majority of the highest end cables on the market. I'm talking for example the top of the line Siltech is 100% made by them with the Siltech brand just printed on the jackets. Then of course it's marked up 20-30X times. Sure they mess around with different shapes to wow the layman, but the most important thing is the metal grade itself. Exact same grade as what's in Dave's cables. Have a look at the Neotech rectangular cables:

Now lets look at the Siltech used in their $25000 interconnects:

Same thing guys only 10x the price, and oriented in a way to differentiate itself from the Neotech. After all no major audio mag will ever review Neotech cables. So very few will ever catch on. This is how Wan Lung can directly compete with their clients, and never have any issue.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the support. That's a really good way to get across the message I'm trying to convey as far as what's in my cables and the value they offer. I might borrow your photo comparison...  :green:   I do struggle a bit with trying to convey this info. It seems like if people really got it I'd continuously be backlogged with orders, and while I do stay fairly busy I have not hit that point yet.

The big difference with Siltech and Wireworld's top end IC cables is they use a heavy gauge of UPOCC silver, 17g, which is speaker-cable size, in order to get a realistic tone that doesn't sound thin or lightweight. I use less metal, a more normal ~21g for my IC cables, but use a silver/gold alloy in order to avoid the light/thin issue. Also, my D3 IC cable uses silver/gold for the signal and copper for the ground/pin1 leg so it's much more affordable and under $1k, it starts at $399 in fact for a 1/2 m RCA pair.

Michael, if you do get to visit Wan Lung please post about your trip! I'd love to see the OCC casting process and the cable-making machinery...

Finally, Harmonic Tech is also a Wan Lung brand, I've started carrying their speaker cable as it's a good design and the most economical way to get a very high quality UPOCC copper speaker cable of fairly heavy gauge. Making a heavy-gauge UPOCC cable by hand is expensive and a lot of labor in comparison.

jtsnead

• Everybody jumpin' out of they mind
« Reply #645 on: 21 Nov 2017, 05:57 pm »
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the support. That's a really good way to get across the message I'm trying to convey as far as what's in my cables and the value they offer. I might borrow your photo comparison...  :green:   I do struggle a bit with trying to convey this info. It seems like if people really got it I'd continuously be backlogged with orders, and while I do stay fairly busy I have not hit that point yet.

The big difference with Siltech and Wireworld's top end IC cables is they use a heavy gauge of UPOCC silver, 17g, which is speaker-cable size, in order to get a realistic tone that doesn't sound thin or lightweight. I use less metal, a more normal ~21g for my IC cables, but use a silver/gold alloy in order to avoid the light/thin issue. Also, my D3 IC cable uses silver/gold for the signal and copper for the ground/pin1 leg so it's much more affordable and under $1k, it starts at $399 in fact for a 1/2 m RCA pair.

Michael, if you do get to visit Wan Lung please post about your trip! I'd love to see the OCC casting process and the cable-making machinery...

Finally, Harmonic Tech is also a Wan Lung brand, I've started carrying their speaker cable as it's a good design and the most economical way to get a very high quality UPOCC copper speaker cable of fairly heavy gauge. Making a heavy-gauge UPOCC cable by hand is expensive and a lot of labor in comparison.

Dave I will be contacting you either as a pm here on on your website, I have PSB Imagine T3 with mono amps that I use Wireworld cables with since I have 2 each of Mikes amps on order I want to change my speaker cable to a shorter run for mono amps. I will be using each stereo amp to power vertically my speakers with one channel hooked to the lower woofer and the other channel hooked to the mid/tweeter inputs. DO you think this would be a good way to do it etc. I am using the Eclipse 7 copper cables now with a 1.5 meter speaker length. You can PM me to keep this off this thread.

Mike while I am thinking about it could I have one channel wire to both of the stereo inputs on the amp to use it as a mono amp?

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #646 on: 21 Nov 2017, 06:07 pm »
If you want to run it mono just use one of the channels only. The 2nd channel doesn’t enable unless it senses a signal. So it’s no different than using the 1200AS1 when you do this.

Unless you’re referring to wanting to bi-amp. In this case you can use either an external adapter, or I could solder both R/L amp inputs to 1 input connector. But then the other one will be non functional.

jtsnead

« Reply #647 on: 21 Nov 2017, 06:15 pm »
Yes I know but why not use the other channel to power the lower woofer on my speakers which have 3 each binding posts

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #648 on: 21 Nov 2017, 06:17 pm »
I can solder both R/L inputs to just 1 connector if you want.

jtsnead

« Reply #649 on: 21 Nov 2017, 06:21 pm »
Yes that is what I was thinking and I could always change it later if I want to use it as a stereo, please do

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #650 on: 21 Nov 2017, 06:22 pm »
Okay. Yeah just need a soldering iron to change it later.

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #651 on: 22 Nov 2017, 06:16 am »
Lot #4-2 channel 50% sold out! May have 5 orders in for the lot #1-6 channel amp. We will see. I order parts for that lot when we reach 8 amps.

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #652 on: 22 Nov 2017, 06:52 am »
We have a few fence sitters :)

https://vimeo.com/89041545

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #653 on: 22 Nov 2017, 04:16 pm »
Thinking, thinking,   :scratch: :dunno:

I've had a number of class D amps roll through my living room. A few I liked such as was the Nuforce 9SE V2. But then a Pass Lab came along and well...

A Halcro Class D performed multichannel use for a while but was too sterile for 2 channel use. I've had a few N-Cores that folks raved about but they sounded awful to my ears. A few months ago I got to try a Lindemann class D amp paired with my Musicbook DSD 25. That sounded good but not nearly as good as my current BMC amp.

I know it's a matter of time before these type of amplifiers punch with the class A/B amps and maybe the time has come. I just gave my stepson my Arcam 7 channel beast (with 1 busted channel). Now I'm tempted to buy the 6 channel 1200AS. The big Ushers might love the power as I believe they're 4 ohm speakers.

Wife wants to hear this thing. Count me in.

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #654 on: 22 Nov 2017, 04:24 pm »
I think you’ll be shocked by what you hear from this amp. You can’t use any class D amp from the past as a comparison. This is a whole new level. I left the amp over at Don’s place since the weekend. He’s a hard core tube afficiando and he’s blown away by this amp. He can’t find any weaknesses for the life of him. Looks like the local demo sold 6 amps. And only that few because there was only 3 people there. :)

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #655 on: 22 Nov 2017, 04:43 pm »
If you're a tube guy just use a tube preamp. This amp is so transparent it sounds like a tube amp without any of the tube amp weaknesses if you put tubes before it.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #656 on: 22 Nov 2017, 05:04 pm »
I notice there is no choice of silver or black for the case for LOT 4, does that choice come later?

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #657 on: 22 Nov 2017, 05:36 pm »
Yes there’s still the choice. I’m just taking deposits until the lot fills, then I’ll open up the orders and people can choose their color of choice.

orientalexpress

« Reply #658 on: 22 Nov 2017, 06:20 pm »
After talking to Jay
I'm in  :thumb:

lap

ZimAhUm

« Reply #659 on: 22 Nov 2017, 08:24 pm »
We have a few fence sitters :)

https://vimeo.com/89041545

Mike,

I've looked, but can't find it anywhere: what are the terms and conditions of the sale?  I saw you refunded one guy because he didn't pay the balance.

There was also a question regarding warranty earlier in the thread (something like "what happens if you meet your demise, Mike?").  Because you require full payment before ordering parts: what if something happens to you before you order parts?  How would we get our money back?

I'm just hesitant because I've never done business in this fashion before and don't know you personally.  Also better to get this stuff out of the way before situations arise.

I sincerely hope you live a long and enjoyable life and everyone gets their amazing amps, by the way!  :thumb: