ROOM TREATMENT (NEXT) ?????

Delta77

ROOM TREATMENT (NEXT) ?????
« on: 25 Aug 2017, 05:07 pm »
I sold my Gungnir DAC to a fellow AC'er. So I have around $500-$600 for the next Piece to this Puzzle ..
Like I mentioned in another posting , I want to make this $$$ count , no lateral purchases ( just replacing equipment with basically the same equipment )
So I think that the only component I'm missing is the Room Treatments.

Room is  (15'w - 20'd - 17'h)  with almost nothing on the walls (pictures ect.)
When I clap my hands in this room I can definitely hear an echo..
 S0 I'm thinking
 1  -  (2-4) cloud panels on the Ceiling
 2 -    (1) scatter panel behind each speaker
 3 -   (2-4) absorber panels on the first reflection point (side walls ) & ( 8'-10' ) high on the side walls

All that junk on the fire place is going ,going , gone..

I will try to post more pics of the room tonight...( walls, ceiling, sweet spot , ect..)
                            I'm looking for some advise from fellow ACer's

Please chime in with "which room treatments worked for your set up , & the ones that didn't work"..

A_shah

Re: ROOM TREATMENT (NEXT) ?????
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2017, 06:29 pm »
I sold my Gungnir DAC to a fellow AC'er. So I have around $500-$600 for the next Piece to this Puzzle ..
Like I mentioned in another posting , I want to make this $$$ count , no lateral purchases ( just replacing equipment with basically the same equipment )
So I think that the only component I'm missing is the Room Treatments.

Room is  (15'w - 20'd - 17'h)  with almost nothing on the walls (pictures ect.)
When I clap my hands in this room I can definitely hear an echo..
 S0 I'm thinking
 1  -  (2-4) cloud panels on the Ceiling
 2 -    (1) scatter panel behind each speaker

room treatment is a good idea but costly, you would be better of getting your IC's  and perhaps DSPeaker room correction device, which works very well I have heard it ,  but it is expensive  around $ 850.0
Asghar
 3 -   (2-4) absorber panels on the first reflection point (side walls ) & ( 8'-10' ) high on the side walls

All that junk on the fire place is going ,going , gone..

I will try to post more pics of the room tonight...( walls, ceiling, sweet spot , ect..)
                            I'm looking for some advise from fellow ACer's

Please chime in with "which room treatments worked for your set up , & the ones that didn't work"..

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2017, 06:31 pm »
Thank Sub is Huge !: :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2017, 06:35 pm »
My two cents.....

1)Corner/Bass traps

2)Absorption at first side reflection points

3)Panels behind speakers (could be Absorption or Diffraction, depending on goals, speakers, distances, etc)

4)Ceiling panels

jhm731

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2017, 07:21 pm »
Cover the TV.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2017, 07:21 pm »
My two cents.....

1)Corner/Bass traps

2)Absorption at first side reflection points

3)Panels behind speakers (could be Absorption or Diffraction, depending on goals, speakers, distances, etc)

4)Ceiling panels

This is my opinion as well... Good Job SoCal :thumb:

Greg

Delta77

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2017, 07:08 pm »
Thanks for your support so far,,,
I don't want to loose interest in this component,
I feel there will be an advantage to the system as a whole, IF done in a fairly correct manner..
        (Targeting Echoes from the parallel walls & high ceiling)
Here are a couple more before pics..

Front wall (high ceiling)..

Left (high ceiling)&(window to kitchen)

Right (half moon window)

Rear (just odd shaped)

After discussing with the wife this morning..
Its becoming apparent that this may be the HARDEST purchase yet concerning the (WAF).!!!..
Even though our room needs some serious improvements (decor) , I really have never cared to put in any sort of opinion on her decorating style/skills (not my thing).. & not the reason I love her..
So I have to be careful on this one guys..
Even though I want to get panels/absorbers for every wall ... & ceiling ..
I'm gonna have to get her to agree with at least 80% of the plan..WOW ..

Like most of us at first , this " Room being significant piece of the Whole system " is hard to believe at first,,
nor does she care about the sound all that much ...

September I  will be too busy to do much of anything..
I will try to buy a little now ,and some more later .. all at once might not work with the Wife...
Budget-- $800-$1200.. lets see..???..

brother love

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2017, 07:35 pm »
Based on your budget, it is tough to beat GIK Acoustics Room Kit #3 for $856 + any extras you choose:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-room-kit-package-3/

GIK Acoustics recommended the #3 room kit for my 14' x 20' x 8' set-up & that is what I chose.

It seems that with your 17' height, that a cloud of ceiling panels would be a little less critical, but others with tall ceilings would be better to comment.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2017, 11:17 pm »
The main problem is the Wife/Girl friend factor as most do not want there nice house fucked up with ugly padding all around the walls as decor.  :lol:

You could also try some isolation pads placed directly under your speakers and sub like the Auralex platforms.

pconley2

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2017, 12:51 am »

go to the Guilford of Maine website, under products find Accoustics and look at the speaker/panel products they have to cover ugly panels, get your wife involved and let her chose the colors.  Guilford will send you as many swatches as you want and, while they are not cheap, this is high quality stuff, they are beautiful to look at.  I have 10 panels in my room, covered with 4 different colors, chosen in conjunction with my wife, who has very good ears and very good eye for this sort of stuff.

A happy wife makes life a lot easier for us stereo guys.

https://www.guilfordofmaine.com

Phil

Mike-48

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2017, 04:38 am »
I agree with Phil.  It costs a little more to pick a premium fabric, but it's well worth it.  Guilford has colors and patterns to go with any decor. And if you ever buy a few items from another manufacturer, they can be covered with the same fabric, for a unified look.