New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!

modwright

Re: New Digital mod work begins tomorrow!!!
« Reply #40 on: 5 Oct 2016, 11:44 pm »
I have not compared it to the Hap-Z1ES because I don't have one on hand at the moment.

My gut says that the Marantz is still better! My entire staff here is really blown away.  Without exception, all of my employees have commented that this is the best our system has ever sounded.

If interested, please let me know as I am running a promo for the first ten people to commit.  Those who commit first get the best deal.

So far Customers #1 - #3 have confirmed.

Thanks,

Dan

smargo

« Reply #41 on: 6 Oct 2016, 12:58 am »

If interested, please let me know as I am running a promo for the first ten people to commit.  Those who commit first get the best deal.

Thanks,

Dan
[/quote

Did i miss the cost of the mods?

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 6 Oct 2016, 01:10 am »

Thanks,

Dan
[/quote

Did i miss the cost of the mods?

See post number 31 and the modwright.com website for the price of the Sony and Oppo mods to give you a general range Dan is shooting for.

decal

« Reply #43 on: 6 Oct 2016, 01:14 am »
Dan, sign me up, I sent you an e-mail.

modwright

« Reply #44 on: 6 Oct 2016, 01:19 am »
Sure, did you also email me directly?  If so, you are either #4 or #5.  It makes a difference.  I am expecting a call any minute from another customer.

This is the deal:

Customer #1: 50% discount.
Customers #2 - #5: 40% discount.
Customers #6 - #8: 30% discount.
Customers #9 - #10: 20% discount.

I have confirmed customers #1 - #4 for sure, likely #5 and #6 tonight.

Thanks,

Dan

decal

« Reply #45 on: 6 Oct 2016, 01:34 am »
Gotcha,thanks!!!!!

modwright

« Reply #46 on: 6 Oct 2016, 03:19 pm »
Customers #1 - #5 have confirmed.

The next three customers to confirm their order will quality for 30% discount.
The next two customers after this will qualify for 20% discount.

If you are interested, please contact us right away.  I expect to have all 10 discount slots filled by the tomorrow if not the end of today.

To confirm, we only require a 50% deposit on discounted rate.  Retail price for the mod will be $2500.  The deposit (due by Friday 10.6.2016) will reserve your start date.  The remainder + return shipping will be due upon completion, prior to shipping.  The mods will be completed within a two week window from time of scheduled start date.

Example:
30% discount customer mod cost = $1750. Deposit = $875 due to reserve start date.  Player need not be purchased or sent until mod start date.

Thank you,

Dan W.

talk2me

« Reply #47 on: 6 Oct 2016, 04:31 pm »
I am (still) a huge Elyse fan. Dan, you just mentioned you learned a lot in the past 2 years, so, any possible Elyse upgrades/mods? I had Alex mod the diods(?) last year.

modwright

« Reply #48 on: 6 Oct 2016, 05:36 pm »
The Elyse DAC is still our BEST digital product.

I am comparing the modified Marantz to the Elyse because it is a lesser cost option that includes DSD.

I have nothing new for the Elyse at this time.

It is still the King!  :D

Wig

« Reply #49 on: 7 Oct 2016, 02:29 am »
 Dan,

I'm using a Philips 5R4GYS in my PS 9.9 and it's a Big improvement over the 5AR4; lower floor noise, better dynamics, more transparent, wider/deeper soundstage and images are more vibrant and bigger...

So excited about the progress of this mod and can't wait to hear about the next stage of development.

Wig

modwright

« Reply #50 on: 7 Oct 2016, 02:44 pm »
That is the rectifier of choice with this mod also!

I am going to evaluate the PS 9.0 vs. PS 9.9.  I expect it will be a matter of taste, with the PS 9.9 offering a bit fuller presentation with the use of tube regulation and tube rectification.  The PS 9.0 has tube rectification and SS regulation.

Thanks,

Dan

dminches

« Reply #51 on: 11 Oct 2016, 08:18 pm »
Dan, any update on the mod?

modwright

« Reply #52 on: 11 Oct 2016, 10:10 pm »
Only a few slots left.

I have just gone over the stock supplies and determined which caps to upgrade and areas where the stock design is weak. To be honest, with all Elna and Elna Cerafine in critical locations, there were not many PS caps upgraded!

Audio Magic and Bybee rails are en route for evaluation.

Mod PCB mechanical and final layout nearly complete.

Tube circuit is COMPLETE, just looking at any/all ways to further improve it, including anything that can be done to improve the PS 9.0.  I found that the PS 9.9 with all tube design was too warm for this circuit and I also found that I prefer copper to silver for internal signal wiring.  The balance is just right this way!

The supply is still tube rectified and the 5R4GYS STILL sounds the best to me!

Aside from evaluating the Audio Magic and Bybee rail upgrades and getting in the final mod PCBs, the only thing left is to evaluate some possible improvements to the external tube supply.

Thanks,

Dan

Wig

« Reply #53 on: 12 Oct 2016, 04:13 am »
I can't imagine how awesome this SA 8005 is going to sound, especially with the addition of Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX Premier, Bybee rails and caps upgrade; definitely another level of refinement and transparency...

Wig

modwright

« Reply #54 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:35 pm »
You will be VERY PLEASED!

Thanks,

Dan

decal

« Reply #55 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:46 pm »
Man, I'm lookin' forward to putting ears on this!!!!!!

modwright

« Reply #56 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:48 pm »
Very exciting.  I have our unit out of the system as I finalize things and my techs are complaining that it doesn't sound as good without the Marantz.  The funny thing is, we have music playing here all the time and my techs don't normally comment.  It is that good!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #57 on: 14 Oct 2016, 09:56 pm »
OK, updates!

1) PS 9.0 (Tube rectified and SS regulated) Vs. PS 9.9 (Tube rectified and regulated): The PS 9.0 offers the clearest windo to the music and I believe suits the Marantz SA8005 the best!
2) Audio Magice Pulse Gen Zx Option: Installed with switch and tested in and out of circuit.  Subtle but worthwhile improvement in resolution, detail and openness.  While the mod is on par with a component upgrade, the Audio Magic is on par with a cable upgrade.  Optional additional upgrade, recommended ($400).
3) Bybee rail option (1) installed at 5V supply to DAC. Clearly measures better and lower noise to DAC chip results in less jitter and better sound. Optional additional upgrade, recommended ($225). Like Audio Magic upgrade, subtle but audible, like a cable upgrade.

To be clear, when I say subtle but audible, I mean that you can hear the difference in an A/B.  The mod itself is like a component change or upgrade in that it is 100% obvious from the first notes that things are BETTER!  This is what I feel you hear comparing the stock SA8005 to the ModWright tube modified SA8005.

Addition of the Audio Magic and Bybee Rail upgrades are worthwhile and audible.  Like changing cables, the improvement is there, just not always as obvious as a component upgrade.

The difference in power supplies is also fairly obvious to my ears.  Some may prefer the more romantic and tubey presentation of the PS 9.9 power supply and we can certainly supply the mod with that if desired.  Other mods have included this supply because, to my ears, the net synergy was best with this supply over the PS 9.0.  In this case, I feel that the best synergy is with the PS 9.0.

Units are coming in and the first will be done soon.  I have just about fully optimized every aspect of our first article and then the first units will begin rolling out.

Please note, we have TWO Early Customer discount slots available still, at 20% off of retail.

All of the first ten Early Customers will also have the option to return their units for any upgrades that are made in the future, at no cost to them (aside from shipping).  This is sort of a Beta Group and the benefits of discount pricing and future updating all apply.

Thanks,

Dan W.

dminches

« Reply #58 on: 15 Oct 2016, 12:09 am »
Dan, thanks for the update.  Looking forward to hearing this.

decal

« Reply #59 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:49 am »

All of the first ten Early Customers will also have the option to return their units for any upgrades that are made in the future, at no cost to them (aside from shipping).  This is sort of a Beta Group and the benefits of discount pricing and future updating all apply.

The news just keeps getting better !!!!!!!!