Any bass players?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Any bass players?
« Reply #40 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm »
The other day he jokingly asked, when are you going to be good enough that I can take you on the road? I wouldn't lie but it would be fun to play at least one show or just do one song in front of a crowd.
As a bass player I'd agree with him.  Any good guitar player can pickup a bass and play.  Not true for a bass player with a guitar IMO. 

But everyone is different and I've never claimed to be very good.

Crimson

« Reply #41 on: 25 Apr 2013, 01:05 pm »
Pick up and play? Yes. Play well? Not really. This is from personal experience. As I was intially told by more than a few folks: you sound like you're playing rhythm guitar on the bass.  :icon_lol:

medium jim

« Reply #42 on: 25 Apr 2013, 02:45 pm »
Real bass players would disagree.

+10   

Jim

Ericus Rex

« Reply #43 on: 25 Apr 2013, 02:56 pm »
The truth is guitarists think they play the bass as well as a true bass player but in my experience that is rarely the case.

medium jim

« Reply #44 on: 25 Apr 2013, 03:04 pm »
The truth is guitarists think they play the bass as well as a true bass player but in my experience that is rarely the case.

And visa versa.  There are some who can play anything, but these/they are the exception.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2013, 01:21 am »

My goal is to show up my friend on guitar within 2 years. He's lazy.

WireNut

« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2013, 02:11 am »
What's a decent starter bass guitar for a beginner that's left handed?

medium jim

« Reply #47 on: 26 Apr 2013, 02:20 am »

I would go for a made in Mexico Fender Precision or Jazz Bass.  Well made and sound and play as good as anything in their price range...about $500.00 new and 300-350 used. Here's a link to a Jazz Bass:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-standard-left-handed-jazz-bass-guitar-wiht-rosewood-fretboard/h76505000001001

Jim
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013, 04:32 am by medium jim »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #48 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:21 pm »
You would prefer passive pickups, the actives(which had that 9V battery) are less versatile in the range of timbres(the sound envelope is the same), they tend to be repetitive in the timbre range they provide.

Also some low priced active basses/guitars use low quality wood, hence the sound of these instruments has less to do with wood body and more to do with the active circuit PCB.

I would prefer a 5 string classic model as Precision or ATK305(active :cry:) and remove the battery if need.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVw7sYdbjPA

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_series13.php?series_id=116&year=2013&cat_id=2

This semi-acoustic model is perfect for Jazz, standard song rep or rock-a-billy:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page13.php?data_id=219&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=2&series_id=117
Big body sound are great:  No find left hand basses sorry.

« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2013, 04:11 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

Crimson

« Reply #49 on: 10 May 2013, 11:12 pm »
You would prefer passive pickups, the actives(which had that 9V battery) are less versatile in the range of timbres(the sound envelope is the same), they tend to be repetitive in the timbre range they provide.

I agree with this, but most good modern bass guitars that use 9V batteries (I have one that uses 2!) are for the electronics (2- and 3-band eq, etc.), not for the pickups. And most have defeat switches on board to bypass the eq. Other than EMG, no manufacturer makes actives exclusively for bass.

As to woods and hollow, semi-hollow, solid, etc., it all depends on the tone you're looking for. No one instrument will give you everything.

As to a starter bass, the MIM Fender is good. I'd also consider Ibanez.

Rclark

« Reply #50 on: 11 May 2013, 10:43 pm »
Lot of good posts here. Having fun learning to play, bass is great  :thumb:. Learning to play an instrument is one of life's most profound joys, I suggest it to anyone.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #51 on: 12 May 2013, 12:00 am »
I also agree the MIM Fender is a great starting point.  But you know, the quality of cheap instruments has gone way up in the past 10 years or so.  I picked up one of those $200 Yamahas (sadly not available as leftie) the last time I was in Guitar Center and thought to myself 'Man!  This same quality bass would have been $800 back when I was starting out 30 years ago!'  The same can be said for guitars.  Used Fenders can be quite cheap but used Ibanezs are even cheaper.

Rclark

« Reply #52 on: 12 May 2013, 12:07 am »

Yeah, that's what I have, about an '09 Ibanez guitar and probably same year Fender Squier bass. They stay in tune after good long sessions, even the next day. For a cheap guitar, I can't ask for more than an instrument that stays in tune while I step on its toes.

werd

« Reply #53 on: 13 May 2013, 08:19 pm »

Left or right handed it doesnt matter. Dont get a cheaper bass that uses dual pickups. Buy a single pickup cheap bass. Ime you have to spend some decent coin to get dual pickup and not buzz. If you are just practicing and playing around at low volumes its nice to have what comes out of the amp just bass and not noise. My Rick is nice and quiet. Dont play much any more. Just go the store and try and some and you will see what i am talking about.

Alnico5

« Reply #54 on: 24 May 2013, 06:33 pm »
For many years I played through a Yamaha PB-1 preamp into a SAE Mark IV power amp with 2 JBL D140f speakers in a reflex ported cab. It was like a really loud and clean bass stereo.