Any bass players?

Rclark

Any bass players?
« on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:34 am »
I really want to pick up a bass guitar sooner than later (I'm learning regular guitar too), and I want to start poking around at least. The way I envision having fun on bass is finger style, and playing on something with a nice fat tone, so probably something oriented more for rock than jazz, I would think. I like a powerful bass sound. Also, thinking eventually I may want to pick up a regular or electric upright bass to try out too.

Any recommendations?

Crimson

Re: Any bass players?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm »
I played guitar all my life and started playing bass about two years ago. There are a few things you'll have to unlearn to play the bass, specifically for your left (fretting) hand. Right-handed finger picking was not a problem for me since I also play classical guitar (be prepared to get callouses on your right hand as well). Slapping and popping will take a bit to master, and you'll initially go through quite a few strings. Theory is the same, although if you're sight-reading you'll have to read a bass clef. A lot of playing is based around fifths and octaves, as well as some of your more common scales. The whole thing to bass is the timing, more so than guitar.

As to gear, look into entry level Ibanez, ESP, or similar, usually around $300. Amp-wise, I went through quite a few till I found the right tone (Ampeg and Hartke). As a rule of thumb, you'll need at least twice to triple the rated output of the highest powered guitar head/amp in your band. If your guitarist(s) uses a 100W head, you should look at 250 and above. It takes quite a lot of power to hear a bass above a loud guitarist and a hard-hitting drummer.

Good luck.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:43 pm »
That's good advice Crimson. Especially the part about the timing, and playing 5ths and partial scales. I have only been playing bass for a few years and I'm not good at reading music, but I've payed more attention to the notes and where the music is going ever since I've been playing bass. It's a completely different mindset for me compared to strumming a guitar. I like it.

But it can be a lonely instrument if you're not in a band. Playing bass with friends in a garage band is really the only reason why I have kept up with it. You may require some external motivation like that to feel needed as a bass player. Keep that in mind before you spend too much money on bass gear. (FWIW)

If you are only going to play at home, or when you do practice at home without your band,  you don't need any special amplifying gear. In fact, the smaller the better. Dont get sucked into the gear buying black-hole to get some other guy's special tone. It's all about the bass itself, how it feels in your hands, how much it begs you to pick it up and play along with your favorite songs. When that happens, you will create your own satisfying tone, and you will be happy.

I would go down to you local guitar center and play every bass on the wall under 1000 dollars. Squire makes a decent p bass that will get you to the point of knowing whether or not bass is something you want to pursue. Don't be afraid to use a pick. A lot of rock tunes just sound better with a pick, IMO.

Hope that helps, from another newbie bass player.  :D

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2013, 02:00 am »
This is the best way to buy a used bass (or anything for that matter).

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

Get an idea of what you want and you'll find it for less here.  I'm lucky to have 5 Guitar Centers within 1.5 hours of me here in Boston so I can plug in a price range, a 100-mile search radius and see every bass that fits in those Guitar Centers.  I've also shopped nationally and had them ship to me.  The guys at GC are pretty good about answering questions about condition over the phone.  And they ship guitars all the time.

If I had, say $300 to spend on a good sounding bass I'd probably get a MIM Fender Precision;  5 choices at above site for $279-299.  The possibilities really open up for $500.  I got my Warwick at GC for $499.  And it is one of the German-made ones, with active pre.  Not a Korean one!

Let us know what you get!

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2013, 05:53 am »
Hmm, I do like the idea of Fender bass. I've been watching lots of Yngwie video's, my interest in rock listening is now gravitating towards the shredders. Anyway he's got a video showing off his guitars. Gets to his Fender bass, and that thing looked awesome.

Rocksmith and the Bandfuse software both have bass training built in so I want to learn both instruments.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2013, 01:04 pm »
Shredders, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1oW0OF-_n8

Getting back to bass.  If a Fender Precision is good enough for Steve Harris then it's good enough for the rest of us!

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm »
nice vid. Yeah, players like that are interesting now. Funny how that turns out. And suddenly I'm listening to power metal too.

I kinda want to see what the Chapman MLB-1 bass turns out to be. I really like that guy's guitars, from what I've seen. In fact he's just unveiled his signature model guitar which appears to be a cross between a telecaster and a stratocaster, and just seems like an awesome guitar. The guy behind the design of their bass is also a freaking genius.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2013, 05:31 pm »
My 2 cents on bass amps.

I feel bass amps are generally far overpowered.  I can only guess that this came about as players ditched their more expensive (and heavy!) tube amps, they then required 3 or 4 times the SS wattage to achieve the same punch and volume.  Hence, most players now seem to think you really need 300-400 watts to gig.  I don't buy it.  I've played concert levels with a 100 watt SS combo with no issues and I have a buddy who toured the country with only a 50 watt Traynor tube head.  The sad thing is, the idea of needing high wattage has stuck so that makers of all-tube equipment feel they have to offer 300 watt tube heads.  Talk about expense and waste!  I would love to see reasonably-wattaged tube combos (remember the Ampeg SB12 or B15?) make another appearance.  But I know of no one making anything giggable and 30-50 watts all-tube.  This same touring buddy has retired from the rock concert stage but still plays small venues and can't live without tubes.  So what did he do?  He bought a 30 watt Crate GUITAR amp and is now happy as a clam.  How's that for throwing the bass-amp world upside down!

If you want to hear more of that dude in the video check out the band Nevermore.  He's their shredder.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:16 pm »
What he said. ^

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2013, 08:58 pm »
I definitely recommend trying your future Blackstar amp with a bass before deciding you must have a  dedicated bass amp.  It might be just fine for bass.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2013, 10:14 pm »
Yeah, not as much worried about the amp part. On the BS ID videos they commented on the powerful bottom end.

I am interested though in his new signature guitar, the tone is intriguing in that you'd have something nice and bright to cut above the bass and the drum, and then a strato type pickup for more crunch.

penguinpaul

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2013, 07:32 pm »
I have a Yamaha RBX 270 and I think it's great for the money.
I also like the Ibanez bases, again, excellent value for money.

I'd be a bit cautious of putting bass through a guitar amp though. I've seen many a damaged amp from that happening. At least keep the volume fairly low  8)

Quiet Earth

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:09 pm »

I'd be a bit cautious of putting bass through a guitar amp though. I've seen many a damaged amp from that happening. At least keep the volume fairly low  8)

I agree 100% penguin.

I think the basic advice about not freaking out over how many watts or how many 12s you have is generally good for the weekend warrior, and certainly for practicing at home. The guitar amp idea is cool if you don't crank it up too loud (like at home),  but don't ever push one hard at a gig. I did that with an old Peavey tube guitar amp and wasted the speakers. Buzz and rattle. The amplifier section was fine though.

:nono:

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2013, 01:11 am »
Hmmm. You know I have a couple Adire Brahma 15 subs just sitting around. I wonder if they could be mated with an amp head in a big sealed box. That might be a fun way to output bass guitar, with a couple monstrous sub drivers.

Or with a couple cheap class d amps and a 1/4 jack ampless head of some type..

Booboooooomm. That could be pretty sweet. The Brahma can play very high too.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2013, 02:41 pm »
I agree 100% penguin.

I think the basic advice about not freaking out over how many watts or how many 12s you have is generally good for the weekend warrior, and certainly for practicing at home. The guitar amp idea is cool if you don't crank it up too loud (like at home),  but don't ever push one hard at a gig. I did that with an old Peavey tube guitar amp and wasted the speakers. Buzz and rattle. The amplifier section was fine though.

:nono:

Just to be clear, I'm saying the electronics of a guitar amp are, usually, perfectly fine for bass.  Of course, the guitar speaker's cones and voice coils aren't designed for bass excursion at high volumes.  But for low volumes, guitar speakers should be fine.  And for the 'usually' part in my first sentence, it's my understanding that some guitar designs begin attenuating frequencies below the guitar's open bottom E so those amps may be a bit low-end lite for bass.

If you wanted a 50-100 watt all-tube head for bass, then you're limited to guitar heads.  And there are lots of choices there.  And many for cheap.  I occasionally look at tube heads locally (using that Used Guitar Center link above) and have seen respected 50 watt all tube heads go for $200 (oodles of choices for $500 - try finding an all-tube bass head for under $500...).  Slap it onto a good bass cab and you'd be road ready for $500.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2013, 09:48 pm »
I suggest any guitar or bass with the Novax scale:
This is a active preamp low priced instrument:
http://www.dingwallguitars.com/basses/combustion/

Or this DIY 4 strings neck for $550:
http://www.novaxguitars.com/parts-accessories/necks-bass.html
I prefer the fully assembled Combustion model, much more value per money at just $1200 and a beautiful natutal real wood looking:
On sale at bottom of the page:
http://www.basscentral.com/2003/dingwall.shtml
Please Note> Avoid any painted instrument, the paint modify the timbre and ever block part of the sound.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2013, 11:21 pm »
Never had an opportunity to play one of those Dingwalls.  Always wanted to try one.

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2013, 11:33 pm »
If I played bass at all even slightly half-ass I'd find away to get the bass pictured in #15 above...that is just so smooth looking!!!! :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2013, 11:34 pm »
Never had an opportunity to play one of those Dingwalls.  Always wanted to try one.
Me too, but once I listen one 4 strings live, maybe Prima model.
It seems four basses playing at the same time, cause each string had a clear individual sound.
The various notes accumulated and continued to sounding at the same time.
This Novax scale is a great advance to fretted string instruments;

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2013, 12:01 am »
Fretboard looks different. I'd be worried it would mess up my guitar playing.