« on: 18 Nov 2012, 09:49 pm »
If so, show us your work & websites!   :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Any Luthier's here on AC?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2012, 10:06 pm »
Here is a luthier that I know.  Here is his website:

http://www.freewebs.com/stmoritzguitars/

Lou built Tony Iommi's new version of the red SG Special.  Very nice guitar!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2012, 11:05 pm »
 I read Lutheran. :oops:  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2012, 04:40 pm »
Here is a luthier that I know.  Here is his website:

http://www.freewebs.com/stmoritzguitars/

Lou built Tony Iommi's new version of the red SG Special.  Very nice guitar!
Very cool.  Do you know if he does any acoustic work?

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2012, 04:51 pm »
Hal, thanks for the link.  Very impressive looking work, especially those restorations.   

I wish he was closer to my house.  I have an old guitar that just had the fretboard replaced, including the binding.  It looks and plays perfectly, but the new binding has a slight pink hue and does not match the 15 year old binding on the rest of the guitar.  Next summer, I'm going to leave it in the sun to see if UV can lighten it up. 

medium jim

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2012, 05:10 pm »
Jackman, without seeing your guitar, it would be difficult to tell if the color is due to pigment bleed to the new binding or the material of the binding itself.  Leaving it out in the sun is not advisable for a myriad of reasons. Playing it is the best thing you can do to make the binding color become more like the original binding.

The other alternative is to mask off the guitar and leave only the offensive binding exposed and put the guitar in a UV tanning bed for about an hour.

Jim

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2012, 05:18 pm »
It's a slight pigment bleed.  The stock binding is white and they finished I with lacquer to match the guitar.  It's close but slightly pink.  I might just put it in the window to get some sun.  I understand this type of thing was common a long time ago.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2012, 05:36 pm »
Very cool.  Do you know if he does any acoustic work?
Jason,
I think Lou works on electrics only, as I have never seen a picture of an acoustic guitar on his site.

There is another luthier local to me that does acoustic work.  He is at Nanbo's Guitar.

Here is a weblink to the shop and contact info:

http://www.manta.com/c/mm054l6/nanbo-s-guitar-emporium

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2012, 06:24 pm »
It's a slight pigment bleed.  The stock binding is white and they finished I with lacquer to match the guitar.  It's close but slightly pink.  I might just put it in the window to get some sun.  I understand this type of thing was common a long time ago.

Pigment bleeding is normal,  it will take more hours of natural UV Sun to do the trick.  I'm telling you, an hour or two in a tanning bed should be the cure.

Jim

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2012, 06:49 pm »
Thanks Jim,

I was freaked out when I saw it.  The body binding is a nice yellow-ish color and it looks very cool.  The neck binding is pinkish because of the toner used in the lacquer.  The shop said it would lighten up with age and evenaually match the rest of the guitar.  I'm not going to a tanning salon because I'll feel stupid.  Will put the guitar in the window during the summer and see if that helps.  It's my good guitar and I'm going to take it in for a setup and fret polish.  The new fretboard is nice but the frets are not as smooth as I'd like.  Maybe the luthier has a UV light we can put on it.   

J

dflee

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:02 pm »
If you are looking for a luthier, I use Toms guitar service in Winston Salem.
He does incredible work. He repaired my 1918 mandolin and has worked on
my D35. He's got a great web site.

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:05 pm »
Thanks Jim,

I was freaked out when I saw it.  The body binding is a nice yellow-ish color and it looks very cool.  The neck binding is pinkish because of the toner used in the lacquer.  The shop said it would lighten up with age and evenaually match the rest of the guitar.  I'm not going to a tanning salon because I'll feel stupid.  Will put the guitar in the window during the summer and see if that helps.  It's my good guitar and I'm going to take it in for a setup and fret polish.  The new fretboard is nice but the frets are not as smooth as I'd like.  Maybe the luthier has a UV light we can put on it.   

J

The yellowing is from the clear coat of lacquer turning yellow...it will take literally 100's of hours in natural sun to replicate or cause the clear coat of lacquer to turn yellow.   

Jim