Endangered Hardwood Species

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Endangered Hardwood Species
« on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:00 am »
I don't know if anyone here has been following the saga but last year Gibson got raided for possibly having illegally imported ebony

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/08/31/140090116/why-gibson-guitar-was-raided-by-the-justice-department

which is used for fretboards and now Gibson is using some sort of plastic

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Custom/Specs.aspx

in it's stead.
As a lifelong Gibson owner, I can't help but feel like I've been transported to Bizarro World.  There has even been some talk of seizing instruments that have already been sold but I don't know if that's actually happened.
It'd be a hell of a thing to have my Lucille confiscated!
I wonder if they'll go to maple or something similar a little further down the road. 

srb

pjchappy

Re: Endangered Hardwood Species
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:25 am »
That model linked to in the OP has a synthetic fretboard, but if you look at many other guitars on the site, they have traditional wood fretboards (ebony; rosewood; mahogany).

Other manufacturers have used synthetic materials in fretboards for certain models for years (including Martin).

Regardless, let's not get into a further discussion of the Gibson factory raid, as it definitely falls under the no political discussion rule.

Paul

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:38 am »
Steve, it's called Richlite and is not used in all guitars.  I'm a wood fan but it looks pretty cool and I doubt I could tell the difference.  If it wears well and doesn't warp like wood can do, I'd consider it.  Nice looking guitar. 

The new Gibbies are very nice. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2012, 10:51 am »
Sorry, I didn't realize that it had been posted before and I wasn't trying to stir up anything.
It just seemed like a really odd substitute for ebony.
I'll have to take a spin down to Guitar Center and see what they feel like, I'd imagine it would be a very fast playing fretboard. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:47 pm »
Those aluminum-neck Kramer basses had some sort of black resin (plastic) fingerboard too.  I've played one a friend owns lots and can't see any negatives to the feel of them vs. wood.  But I'm sure they'll make those Gibsons sound different.