Why? Do you play music?

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Why? Do you play music?
« on: 16 Nov 2011, 02:08 pm »
Isn't it enough to listen to music?? Why study and practice for years on end knowing that your biggest audience is family at holidays and social events?

I played because I saw a marching band and the bass drum beat hit me in the chest. Its a very strong memory and for some reason got me motivated to play. I always felt some sort of spiritual (for lack of a better phrase) connection or feeling like I was in some small way connected to a larger conscience or powerful presence, all around us and easily tapped into if so motivated. The overall biggest draw for me though--Chicks! :wink:

drummermitchell

Re: Why? Do you play music?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2011, 02:59 pm »
Biggest draw:Emotions,the 40yr. party came after(chicks incl.)
Still have my 79 Gretsch kit stored in their Anvil case beds.
I still play,(Roland TD-20 Expanded)connected to sound board and cdp.
The only electronic kit I found that really sounds like a drum kit.
Actuall 100's of sets :o :lol:.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:00 pm »
  Well mostly for emotional gain. Playing a real instrument in a real space is a great reminder of what we are trying to accomplish with our reproduction systems. The live experience.

charles
SMA

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:27 pm »
I play because it's fun!  There is something about actively making music that I really enjoy.  It's totally different than the enjoyment I get from passively listening to music on my system.  To me, there is something really special, almost primal, about making music, even if it doesn't sound good (which often times it doesn't!).  Of course, I also like to try to play along with my guitar when I listen to certain music.  I've done this since I was a little kid. 

Also, there is something really cool and rewarding about people gathering around and singing songs or playing songs on a piano or guitar, or whatever.  I was in Ireland a couple years ago for a wedding, at a castle.  The night before the wedding, everyone gathered around in a big room with huge ceiling and everyone took turns singing songs.  Some of the older guys were really good singers, some were not, but everyone sang!  It was awesome and something I wish more people would do around here.  I love hearing my wife sing.  In her case, she is a classicly trained singer and she sings very well, but even if she didn't, I would still love it.  I'll never forget that night in Ireland as long as I live.

People in America seem to put too much emphasis on technical skills when it comes to performing.  There were several Americans in the group in Ireland who said, "I don't sing".  Bull! Eveyone can sing, maybe not well, but if you have a voice, you can sing!  After a while, and several drinks, everyone at least attempted a song.  There was a beat up old guitar laying around and a couple of us even played a few numbers.  The next day, I was coaxed into hitting the stage with the wedding band to sing a "rousing" rendition of Suspicious Minds.  It was a blast!  I know I'll never do this for a living but who cares!  Once you get over the self consciousness, performing music is a blast. 

Also, singing, playing or attempting to do either in public will give you a better appreciation of people who do it well...as long as it doesn't stop you from playing, because you think you aren't good enough.  If that was the case, for me at least, I'd never sing or play again in my life!  :thumb:

(sorry, I corrected a couple typos in my original post.  writing this as I listen to a conference call at work...shhhhhh).  J
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2011, 08:03 pm by jackman »

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:43 pm »
I play because it's fun!  There is something about actively making music that I really enjoy.  It's totally different than the enjoyment I get from passively listening to music on my system.  To me, there is something really special, almost primal, about making music, even if it doesn't sound good (which often times it doesn't!).  Of course, I also like to try to play along with my guitar when I listen to certain music.  I've done this since I was a little kid. 

Also, there is something really cool and rewarding about people gathering around and singing songs or playing songs on a piano or guitar, or whatever.

Also, singing, playing or attempting to do either in public will give you a better appreciation of people who do it well...as long as it doesn't stop you from playing, because you think you aren't good enough.  If that was the case, for me at least, I'd never sing or play again in my life!  :thumb:

Yes! You totally nailed it jackman.  :thumb:

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2011, 07:09 pm »
Awesome stuff......awesome......

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2011, 08:21 pm »
I play to record. I have been doing this for many, many years. It's very interesting to see how a piece develops and many times I can't believe that I actually did the piece.

One project called Yuwintapi, inspired by the Storden-Jeffers Petroglyphs made by the Dakota Indians 5000 years ago had some interesting side effects. I had gone to the site and had taken many pitures do get a feel for the music I was about to do. Perhaps it was my imagination, but i think I brought home some friends (spirits) from the site. Many scary things happened that year and I always felt a presence in the studio while I was recording. I also think some of the music was spiritually guided. Call me nuts, I don't care.

Anyway, I have slowed down lots 'cause of my hands not working so well, and I've had other projects going on. This winter I want to get another project going, if possible.

Wayner  8)

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2011, 08:22 pm »
Okay, one last thing.  There was a time, in the early part of the last century, when singing and playing music in the home was very popular.  People didn't have access to recorded music (or even before it was invented) and they played their own music.  Some played piano or guitar, and in the American south, some even played banjo!  There were no video games or iPods, people just made music in the home.  Some did it well enough to earn a living but, more importantly, many people did it because it's an awesome thing to do! 

We spend time focused on the rare individuals with exceptional musical talent but I think we should focus on developing the voice within each of us to create music or to at least perform music.  Regular people who have no intention of being a Star, performing music simply because it's a fun thing to do.   This is not about making a million dollars, getting dates with attractive people, being more popular or impressing your friends, it's about the joy you get from making or performing music.  IMO, this type of interaction brings people together in a very unique way. 

That's enough from me.  Sorry for the long posts but I think this is a cool thread.   

Cheers,

J

acresm22

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2011, 08:37 pm »
Playing just stirs the soul. And so does collecting instruments...its much more fun that collecting audio gear ; )
I took piano, drum, and guitar lessons as a kid, and have three kids of my own who are all taking lessons on various instruments. In the house now I have the mid 70s Rogers drum kit I played as a youngster, a 1980 Chickering baby grand, a 1960s Gibson small body acoustic, a 1974 Guild jumbo acoustic, and several other guitars of lesser quality.  Can't walk by any of them without sitting down to play a bit. Love them all...

eclein

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:17 pm »
A confession - I can't read music, never have, kinda wish I could but it wouldn't be necessary at this point. I'm ..what..ADD...the one where you can concentrate real long. So I could never get the hang of reading music because for one at that time I didn't care, I was playing and "why do I need to know that"...well if I would have learned to read it things would be a lot different.
 So for me its totally and completely about the chill I get when things come together onstage and YOU KNOW the music is tight and right!!!
 I never thought once about getting chicks while playing--well maybe once--but its a cool thing to say. Its very uncool to come out and say--it makes me feel connected to the spirit of the whole life force thing going on. It makes me feel closer to a God, a power, a something thats going on!!!! Follow me....thats why I play, played, performed, its the chills I get!!!!!!   It has nothing to do with anything else and even at 53 I still get uncomfortable talking about it because people who have never experienced it have no clue what I'm trying to communicate to them. I know you guys can relate...right!!....  :thumb: :thumb: it only took me 53 years to admit that...progress not perfection...LOL

Wayner I understand 100% what your saying and everyone else also...folks who haven't felt it sadly I think are missing an amazing part of life.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:58 pm »
I just now found this thread.  It is a blessing to play music and share its message and emotion with people.  I played clarinet through high school and then quit, since I had to work my way through college.  15 years later I discoverd a new symphonic band forming here in Austin, so I borrowed a horn and sat in.  that was 35 years ago, and the Austin Symphonic Band is a world-class community symphonic band.  There is no better feeling than moving an audience to an emotional, enthusiastic standing ovation!
http://www.austinsymphonicband.org
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2013, 07:15 pm by Hank »

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2012, 05:05 pm »
I did it for the money. :lol:

Doc

decal

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2012, 05:36 pm »
Well, to  :deadhorse:, money for nothing and the chicks are free of course!!!! 

stlrman

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2012, 06:02 pm »
I am not a musician ! That said, I own a flute, have fiddled on a sax, have an African drum that I enjoy playing in drum circles. I enjoy singing too. :)
There is something magical and spiritual that happens when playing music with other people.
Wish I could read music, and do more than just fiddle. Maybe one day.
Todd

jjthomas

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:21 pm »
Inner Peace.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2012, 10:24 pm »
I known a bass player who does not have much desire to listen to music, he really likes to play bass or guitar.
He said that after three days without playing he is nervous, irritated and shaking hands.   :hyper:
Being a musician does not seem to be as wonderful as I thought.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2012, 11:11 pm »
I remember in the early eighties when Bill Bruford said something to the effect that the interaction with a passive instrument is somewhat like looking into a mirror, and you often don't like what you see in the reflection. This is actually why music has always been a struggle for me.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2012, 02:43 pm »
If a former musician is permitted a reply here, let me play the role of devil's advocate for a moment. I started playing music (began with flute in 3rd grade) because it called to me. That broadened as time passed to include sax and guitar. In the beginning, it was fun work. In our youths, we are language sponges and the vocabulary of music became deeply engraved in my brain. As I aged, I improved my technical ability through rigorous practice, but the fun seemed to fade – it became hard work. I was plagued by a belief that I had to play perfectly, and that became my focus and the source of a powerful paranoia.

I intended to become a professional musician...until I discovered what they earned. Even worse was playing the same material again and again and again and again and again... I put it down and pursued other interests. I still regret that decision, but I can't say that I haven't enjoyed my life, nor can I suggest that my life hasn't been greatly enriched by music – as an avid listener. To this day, I cannot listen to music without feeling it in my fingers – but I no longer play. My daughter, on the other hand, plays many different instruments – for fun (but she has the same mental problems I did/do).

Playing an instrument is a wonderful thing. I have to agree with those who spoke in favor of the enjoyment of playing over the need for technical mastery. I let a drive for the latter destroy the former. By the way, I should set the record straight: I don't think I ever achieved the latter to any special degree (don't want any of the forgoing to be read as bloviation).

---

It ain't money for nothing. Remember the 10,000 hour rule - that's a lot of time (certainly not nothing).

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2012, 08:21 pm »
I have played acoustic guitar since I was a teenager - my father had played piano at school a lot and also some acoustic guitar. After playing the basic folk tunes from a Burl Ives paperback book, I aquired a few albums as I got older and began to buy acoustic artists and got a decent steel string. But I have also played classical guitar.

I love acoustic stringed instruments - the tone, the texture, the color of the wooden resonance!

Finally got a hand-made guitar and worked up a repertoire for the local coffee shops, even had a paying gig with another guy.

Recently put the guitar down for a year or so to the point that all visible callouses disappeared - then this past weekend playhed with my brother and brother in-law. Amazingly, I was able to make it through about 3 hours of limited playing on some light guage strings.  Had a great time - that is why I play.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2012, 08:52 pm »
Gibson electrics for me and it's for entertainment, relaxation and it's also a challenge when I hear something and decide to figure it out.
The bass line is this so the chords are like so because it's in such and such a key which means the solo is done like so, crap, what's he doing there?