Bryston BDP-Pi

Marius

Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #160 on: 12 May 2017, 02:18 pm »
Other than for copying whole drives, why would you take out the usb drive?
Just copy over the network, and select the selective-folder-update to, well, update the latest album/folder ;-) Quite fast.

Might be useful to select the option on the BDP to show the new files/folders in red to point you in the right way. I have that selected and in the odd case i forgot a folder earlier, it will always remind you to click update when browsing that folder.

Cheers,
Marius

Grant Hill

« Reply #161 on: 12 May 2017, 04:00 pm »
Yes, but you need to have BDP connected to a lan to do that.

Marius

« Reply #162 on: 12 May 2017, 06:07 pm »
Yes, but you need to have BDP connected to a lan to do that.

True. No point denying that.

Which is very useful for many other uses of the Bdp. Yours isn't ?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #163 on: 12 May 2017, 09:03 pm »
If I understand you correctly, with the BDP attached to my router via Ethernet, I will be able to upload files to the storage drive attached to the usb input without it being a network storage device, just an ordinary external hard drive. That would make me happy.

Yes, it'll appear as a network share and you can copy files to and from it.  The BDP-Pi only has 100Mb/s ethernet, so it won't be lighting fast but it should get the job done.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #164 on: 12 May 2017, 09:05 pm »
No. BDP-1. I figure if it can run on the front low-powered ports than it should be easy on the Pi. I do remember their power consumption was lower than 500mA. I looked into it specifically before I got dedicated drives for the BDP-1. It may have been even been as low as 350mA.

That is quite reasonable, the BDP-1 is by far our most limited unit, even if it runs off the lower rear USB port the BDP-Pi should be able to drive it without issue.

Grant Hill

« Reply #165 on: 14 May 2017, 05:43 pm »
True. No point denying that.

Which is very useful for many other uses of the Bdp. Yours isn't ?

I don't own a BDP but I am interested in buying one in the future and I wanted to understand how it works.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #166 on: 1 Jul 2017, 11:39 am »
Hi James,

Recently one of our BDP-pi's was reviewed on Youtube by Hans Beekhuyzen

Here is the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4FU1tqZdeU&t=65s

Have a nice weekend

Hein

Nordkapp

« Reply #167 on: 3 Aug 2017, 12:32 am »
Can I use JRIVER for control of the pi?  I am close to grabbing one. If not I'll use MM. Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #168 on: 3 Aug 2017, 02:24 pm »
Can I use JRIVER for control of the pi?  I am close to grabbing one. If not I'll use MM. Thanks.

you can enable upnp renderer, but it'll use different playback software

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #169 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:41 am »
My pie has been unplugged for four months.
The partnering kef ls50w that I purchased at the same time has been in continuous use : )

I burnt 20 cd's to wav on usb sticks and brought both systems down to Myrtle Beach for a golf party.
The pie > optical > kef would only play one song at a time, kind of embarrassing having to get up every five minutes.

Am I missing something really simple?
Shawn

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #170 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:26 pm »

The pie > optical > kef would only play one song at a time
, kind of embarrassing having to get up every five minutes.

Shawn

Check that the max limit on your playlist setting is > 1.
( I don't own a Pi, just a BDP. )

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #171 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:08 pm »
My pie has been unplugged for four months.
The partnering kef ls50w that I purchased at the same time has been in continuous use : )

I burnt 20 cd's to wav on usb sticks and brought both systems down to Myrtle Beach for a golf party.
The pie > optical > kef would only play one song at a time, kind of embarrassing having to get up every five minutes.

Shawn

if your clicking play (push option twice) on the song file then it just plays the song, if you do the same but the folder containing the music then it should play the entire contents

Marius

« Reply #172 on: 16 Aug 2017, 08:16 pm »
missed this before, Bryston gets mentioned http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2017/01/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-as-usb.html

interesting measurements included, especially worth reading conclusions in regards to the power supply.

Cheers,
Marius

Bwilson1

« Reply #173 on: 25 Aug 2017, 08:48 pm »
Hello,

New here and I am considering purchasing a BDP-Pi as it appears to meet my needs:  1) standalone solution which can accept my HDD of FLAC/ALAC files (up to 24/192) and simply play them without the need of an external computer, 2) simple connection and operation and Turnkey (I have no tolerance for having to fidget and I am not nor want to have to be an IT professional) and 3) is coming from a well-respected company which stands behind their products (5 year warranty)

My question is as follows:

Will the USB output of the BDP-Pi be a no-fuss "plug and play" i.e. Just Works with my USB DAC (NuPrime IDA-8) ?  The NuPrime will accept sampling rates up to 4xDSD so that should not be a problem.

The reason I ask beforehand is that I am only interested in the USB output of the Pi since I am already using the sole Coax input on the IDA-8 and the Toslink is limited to 96k and I have little knowledge about computers and most importantly even less desire to attempt to deal with connection issues after the fact.

Thanks,
Eric

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #174 on: 28 Aug 2017, 03:03 pm »
Hello,

New here and I am considering purchasing a BDP-Pi as it appears to meet my needs:  1) standalone solution which can accept my HDD of FLAC/ALAC files (up to 24/192) and simply play them without the need of an external computer, 2) simple connection and operation and Turnkey (I have no tolerance for having to fidget and I am not nor want to have to be an IT professional) and 3) is coming from a well-respected company which stands behind their products (5 year warranty)

My question is as follows:

Will the USB output of the BDP-Pi be a no-fuss "plug and play" i.e. Just Works with my USB DAC (NuPrime IDA-8) ?  The NuPrime will accept sampling rates up to 4xDSD so that should not be a problem.

The reason I ask beforehand is that I am only interested in the USB output of the Pi since I am already using the sole Coax input on the IDA-8 and the Toslink is limited to 96k and I have little knowledge about computers and most importantly even less desire to attempt to deal with connection issues after the fact.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

I wouldn't recommend using the BDP-Pi if you want DSD playback over USB or use of a USB DAC, the DSD doesn't work very well over USB, DSD over the digital COAX has never been tested as our own DAC's don't support and using a USB DAC will disable its display during playback.  I would recommend using either a BDP-2/3 if want DSD capability.

Chris

Bwilson1

« Reply #175 on: 28 Aug 2017, 05:45 pm »
Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  I have no interest in DSD at all I would only want to be able to handle up to 24/192.  Sorry if that part of my question was unclear.

So all I would be looking to do is to send up to 24/192 over USB to my NuPrime IDA-8 - hope that makes things clear

Eric

schmidtmike76

« Reply #176 on: 31 Aug 2017, 01:30 am »
I have a ton of issues with tidal.  I cannot log in it defaults to some other player and cannot logout fully?  Any fixes iam updated

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #177 on: 2 Sep 2017, 01:05 am »
I have a ton of issues with tidal.  I cannot log in it defaults to some other player and cannot logout fully?  Any fixes iam updated
I don't think the Bryston/Tidal interface application is all that great. There was a problem a while back logging in if your Tidal password had special characters (@#!$,etc) but I think that was fixed. I still have a problem in that it frequently defaults to raspberry and I have to reset it to my NAD USB DAC. Right now I am having a problem because it says I have no internet connection (my internet works, and the correct lights are indicated on the pi Ethernet port). I have e-mailed Bryston Support, but it's the weekend.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #178 on: 2 Sep 2017, 04:35 pm »
I don't think the Bryston/Tidal interface application is all that great. There was a problem a while back logging in if your Tidal password had special characters (@#!$,etc) but I think that was fixed. I still have a problem in that it frequently defaults to raspberry and I have to reset it to my NAD USB DAC. Right now I am having a problem because it says I have no internet connection (my internet works, and the correct lights are indicated on the pi Ethernet port). I have e-mailed Bryston Support, but it's the weekend.

That should have no bearing on tidal, the internetstate is there for the audio CD features whether or not it should speand time identifying an audio CD.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #179 on: 2 Sep 2017, 05:57 pm »
That should have no bearing on tidal, the internetstate is there for the audio CD features whether or not it should speand time identifying an audio CD.

I'm grateful for the reply, but don't really understand what you mean. What are audio CD features? I do not presently own a CD player, nor do I know what a BDP has to do with CDs.

Edited to add: I got an e-mail from Chris from Bryston support (sent after business hours, which I think is pretty great service) who said pretty much that if everything works (Radio, Tidal, the Music Player) that I should just ignore the "No internet connection". Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but perhaps its just a temporary bug and will fix itself. (Turning the BDP on and off, restarting my computer, has no effect--still says "BDP has no internet connection.")

Edited again: [RANT] ARRGH! Just had a problem like described by schmidtmike76, got a log in request when going to the Tidal application, would not accept my credentials, but clicking on anything on the left-hand Tidal menu just brought me to Tidal anyway.  But crazy things are happening, such as not allowing me to select lossless and my USB DAC doesn't appear in devices. When I select an artist, sometimes only top tracks appear, no discography! "Discography" is grayed out! (On artists where I know there are albums there) Turning the BDP on and off seems to have fixed some things, but not others, I AM GETTING AWFULLY TIRED OF THESE QUIRKS. I would be prepared to say I have a faulty or slow internet connection, but I don't have these problems when using Tidal's own desktop app. [/RANT]

When everything works right, I am delighted to have an incredible library of music at my fingertips--Tidal--play through my home stereo, without having physical media take up space.
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2017, 08:01 pm by Larry Dickman »