Jared's 24" subwoofer twins

jsalk

Jared's 24" subwoofer twins
« on: 11 Jan 2017, 07:37 pm »
Jared called and asked if we could build subwoofer cabinets for a pair of some 24" drivers he was having built.  We had done 18" subs in the past and so it didn't seem like much of an issue.

About two months later, a truck delivered a pallet with two HUGE cartons.  After opening one of the cartons, I realized we had an issue.  This was going to be a MASSIVE task...far in excess of what I had imagined. But since we committed to building them, we went to work.

The first task was to design all the internal bracing to accommodate the drivers and plate amp.  It was a bit more complicated than usual since we had to support the driver magnet.  If we failed to do that, if the truck delivering them hit a bump, it would probably rip the magnet right off the driver frame (the magnets were massive).

Once we got everything to dry fit perfectly, we assembled the cabinets.

We then finished the cabinets and they were ready for final assembly.

This was no simple task as each driver weighed at least 150 pounds.  So much care had to be taken to align the driver perfectly before lowering it into place since it would be almost impossible to re-align it afterwards.

So how do you lower a massive driver into place?  Well, we built a large post that was fed up through the amp cutout to support the driver magnet.  A pallet jack held the driver slightly above the driver cutout.  Then, when the driver was properly aligned, we slowly lowered the pallet jack allowing the driver to drop into place in the cabinet. 

Once the driver was in place, we finished the assembly of the braces that locked the driver magnet securely in place.

This was the final result.  Mary never likes to have her picture taken, but we needed a body in the shot to gain some perspective.  She was nice enough to oblige.

We estimated that each of the subs weighed somewhere between 350 - 400 pounds.  I have no idea how Jared moved them into his home theater, but he reported that after the set-up was complete, they were  making serious bass flat to 5Hz.

Happy listening (and feeling) Jared...

- Jim

srb

Re: Jared's 24" subwoofer twins
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2017, 07:45 pm »
Really should have a swarm of 3 or 4 .....  ;)

audiocrazy

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2017, 07:50 pm »
Great job Jim :thumb:
I've dual 18" JTR captivator and thought that was insane but Jared beat me to it with his dual 24" :o

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2017, 08:25 pm »
What's the cost to produce these again in the same basic  black finish? 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2017, 08:34 pm »

+1.

Thanks,
Anand.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2017, 08:50 pm »
wtf

that picture doesn't look real. Thanks for sharing the steps it took to build these. I'm guessing these aren't the most profitable projects, but the satisfaction of overcoming the challenges must be fun (once its done) for your team.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2017, 09:02 pm »
Mama bear those are huge!

Guy most own a forklift to move those into the house. 

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2017, 09:07 pm »

Based on what Jared indicated he paid for the drivers and amps, I would guess they would come out at about $6000 each.  Build time would be about 4 - 6 months since the drivers are hand made and take a few months to build.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2017, 09:08 pm »
wtf

that picture doesn't look real. Thanks for sharing the steps it took to build these. I'm guessing these aren't the most profitable projects, but the satisfaction of overcoming the challenges must be fun (once its done) for your team.

It doesn't look real because I stripped out the shop background in Photoshop. And you are right about profitability...they are not profitable.  But the challenge makes us stronger  :thumb:

- Jim

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2017, 09:15 pm »
Mary has gotten much smaller!   :o

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2017, 09:37 pm »
Jebus, I think I pulled a muscle in my back just looking at this monster...

benguin

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2017, 09:44 pm »
Agree-  the first thing I thought was "How could you possible maneuver those through the house and into position?"  I hope they didn't have to go up (or down the stairs).     And here I was feeling sorry for us when we were moving the Rythmik 15s that Jim built for us- I thought THOSE were heavy.  I would have to use my shop crane for these- with no chance of getting them into the house.

Fantastic job on the framework and creative solutions to get it all assembled.  Yikes!  Could you imagine bringing a pair of these to Axpona??

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2017, 09:53 pm »
Based on what Jared indicated he paid for the drivers and amps, I would guess they would come out at about $6000 each.  Build time would be about 4 - 6 months since the drivers are hand made and take a few months to build.

- Jim
OK, thanks.  Are you willing to share the info about the driver/amp? 

Armaegis

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2017, 09:53 pm »
See, this is why I like the big subs used in pro audio. Those come with wheels on the bottom.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2017, 10:06 pm »
I couldn't get these images out of my head with the size and power requirements for these:

mojave

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2017, 10:43 pm »
OK, thanks.  Are you willing to share the info about the driver/amp?
Looks like Stereo Integrity BHS-24 driver and probably SpeakerPower SP1-4000 plate amp. Very similar to what is offered by Deep Sea Sound.

Here is a DIY sub with the same driver and unique grill:

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2017, 12:45 am »
Looks like Stereo Integrity BHS-24 driver and probably SpeakerPower SP1-4000 plate amp. Very similar to what is offered by Deep Sea Sound.

Here is a DIY sub with the same driver and unique grill:

This is the best looking sub I've ever seen. Did you do a build thread for this?

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2017, 01:17 am »
Damn.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jan 2017, 04:02 am »
I have heard a 24" sub once and was impressed, dual sub's has to be insane. 5Hz sounds real close to the brown note.
Great work Jim!

Armaegis

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jan 2017, 04:22 am »
I see that fireplace in the background and think to myself... one of these days I wouldn't be surprised to see someone convert their fireplace/chimney into a transmission line sub.