Record Cleaning Machine (RCM)

Samurai7595

Record Cleaning Machine (RCM)
« on: 16 Sep 2013, 10:54 am »
To Bryston owners who have an turntable setup with their system, what record cleaning machine (if any) are you using?

What would you recomend for around $1,500 that is easy to use, easy to find parts for and is not too noisy?

Photon46

Re: Record Cleaning Machine (RCM)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2013, 12:09 pm »
[quote author=Samurai7595 link=topic=119829.msg1260000#msg1260000 date=137932884

What would you recomend for around $1,500 that is easy to use, easy to find parts for and is not too noisy?
[/quote]

That's a tough set of parameters to meet at your price point. If you'll give a little on the noise issue, your horizons are broader. What constitutes "easy to use" for you? Do you require fluid pumps, automatic dispensing, auto reverse, etc? A basic $200 Nitty Gritty machine will noisily clean your records well (albeit with a bit of work on your part dispensing fluids and turning the record by hand.)

Alpha10

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2013, 02:19 pm »
I do not know if these are available on your side of the pond, but, Moth record cleaners are popular over here, I have been using a mkII for a long time with great results. They do need a little manual intervention but are simple to use:

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/mothrcm.htm

Cheers

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2013, 10:10 am »
The "easy get parts for" part of the equation seems to leave you with two choices, VPI and Nitty Gritty. There are other record cleaners that function well and are quiet (Okki Nokki comes to mind) but will they be around in the future when you'll need parts? Plus, Okki Nokki is in Germany, so maybe that's a factor for you, depending on where you live. Neither VPI or Nitty Gritty qualify for a "quiet" rating I'd think, but you're not going to go deaf using them either.

Samurai7595

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2013, 11:00 am »
Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated!

I exchanged some emails with VPI and was told that a new VPI MW-1 Cyclone RCM will be coming out in the Nov-Dec/2013 timeframe.  Apparently, it will be an all-aluminum construction, platter will rotate in both directions, will be 20dB quieter than the VPI HW-16.5 RCM and will retail for around $995 US.

Not as "pretty" as the Clearaudio or Okki Nokki models but sounds promising and the price is right (for me).

http://vpiindustries.com/clean-mw-1cyclone.htm