You can own a 500hp new Miata with LS3 V8 for $53K

drphoto

You can own a 500hp new Miata with LS3 V8 for $53K
« on: 30 Jul 2016, 06:33 pm »
From Flying Miatas. I have no affiliation. Just saw story.

I love the MX5 Miata. Not a chick car, but the true definition of sports car. Always wanted to get a beater and turn in to track car. Maybe one day, if biz really takes off I can buy one of these V8 babies!0

500hp in a 2500 lb roadster? check!!(I'd pony up for the 6 piston Bembro's though)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: You can own a 500hp new Miata with LS3 V8 for $53K
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2016, 06:50 pm »
I bet it is sweet...but at that price point not sure that would be my top choice for a convertible.

George

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2016, 07:30 pm »
The new joint venture between BMW & Toyota to produce the next gen Z5/Supra looks pretty wicked. Gonna by built in former Mini factory. Wonder where it will come in price wise? $50K?

I've been a big fan of MX5 since day one, as former MGB owner. I value handling and fun over fast any day. But damn if you could have it all with the v8 mod?

But yeah, that's a lot of cash. In ballpark with M2 convertible. I guess you could spec regular M2 for what? $40?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2016, 07:31 pm »
I just bought a soul metallic red 2016 Miata, club edition.  A 500 hp engine makes no sense in a 2332 pound car.  I wanted a true 2 seater roadster convertible with manual transmission.  My choice came down to a 2014 Porshe Boxtster for $45 k or a new Miata for $31 k.  I had Expell installed on the entire front of the car for an additional $1,750.  This car is an absolute joy on long winding roads :thumb:

Regards

Randy

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2016, 07:45 pm »
Good for you Randy. Bet it's a hoot. new version looks killer too.

Perfectly balanced car, and best shifter going. Open roof sports car on a curvy country road? Heaven.

Yeah, 500 hp makes no sense. I think that's the point. Absolute overkill.  :lol:

Does anyone need 500hp in anything? Can get in Mustang now. or 700 in a Dodge

I gotta make do with 170, maybe 190 after mods. :oops:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2016, 08:04 pm »
I just bought a soul metallic red 2016 Miata, club edition.  A 500 hp engine makes no sense in a 2332 pound car.  I wanted a true 2 seater roadster convertible with manual transmission.  My choice came down to a 2014 Porshe Boxtster for $45 k or a new Miata for $31 k.  I had Expell installed on the entire front of the car for an additional $1,750.  This car is an absolute joy on long winding roads :thumb:

Regards

Randy

Randy,

Can you quantify "the entire front end"?

I am ready to take off the clear bra on my M3 and have been looking into Expel.  It's self-healing aspect and great protection are very appealing.

Right now I have the very front, 1/3 of the hood, door sills, door edges, and fuel door covered.

I assume you did the Expel via a certified dealer?

George

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2016, 08:07 pm »
To George/Zybar. Yeah, be hard not to consider Boxter at that price. Maybe best handling car of all time?

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2016, 08:13 pm »
You guys that worried about rock chips? I'd rather spend money on ceramic tint to protect interior. I do keep my fingers crossed when they predict hail, as I don't have a garage. Intend to install roll up door in studio when remodel so can pull car inside if needed. Might get one of those weather resistant car covers.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2016, 08:59 pm »
You guys that worried about rock chips? I'd rather spend money on ceramic tint to protect interior. I do keep my fingers crossed when they predict hail, as I don't have a garage. Intend to install roll up door in studio when remodel so can pull car inside if needed. Might get one of those weather resistant car covers.

Yes!

My interior still looks brand new on a 2009 M3.

Properly cleaning and maintaining the interior is much easier than fixing paint scratches and chips.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2016, 09:08 pm »
To George/Zybar. Yeah, be hard not to consider Boxter at that price. Maybe best handling car of all time?

Yep, at 50k there quite a few options:

-  Used Boxster
-  Used 911
-  Used Vette
-  Used M3 or M4
-  Used Lotus

George

rklein

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2016, 10:42 pm »
George

Yes, the Expel was installed by a certified place.  The Expel is the real deal.  The Miata is very low to the ground.  I have 1750 miles on the car with no rock chips.  Not a one.   

Here is what has Expel...
Front bumper, running lights, head lights, full hood, A pillars, both side mirrors, full front fenders, rocker panels, the area under the door handles and the areas behind the rear wheels. 

Make sure you find a certified installer that has great reviews.  The Expel website has a list of ones in your specific area. 

WELL WORTH THE INVESMENT!! :thumb:

Randy

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2016, 10:57 pm »
George

Yes, the Expel was installed by a certified place.  The Expel is the real deal.  The Miata is very low to the ground.  I have 1750 miles on the car with no rock chips.  Not a one.   

Here is what has Expel...
Front bumper, running lights, head lights, full hood, A pillars, both side mirrors, full front fenders, rocker panels, the area under the door handles and the areas behind the rear wheels. 

Make sure you find a certified installer that has great reviews.  The Expel website has a list of ones in your specific area. 

WELL WORTH THE INVESMENT!! :thumb:

Randy

Thanks Randy.

My friend was quoted more than that for his new Challenger and he was only getting the front 1/3 covered.

Good to know it is worth it.

George

srb

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2016, 11:22 pm »

drphoto

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2016, 11:40 pm »
George your killing me with those M3 pics! Damn, what a car. BTW: those infamous E30 M3's are going for crazy amounts of money. Cars are usually not an investment, but think they would have been.

I haven't notice any chipping on front of my VW and I wash it quite a lot. It has 61K miles now. No door dings either, but I always park away from other cars if I can. I'd rather walk an extra few steps than visit the dent repair guy.

Ok, I just went out and looked one tiny chip on front bumper. Dab of touch up paint should do the trick. I'd personally rather put $1700 into mods or paying off loan, but that's just me.

twitch54

drphoto

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2016, 12:45 am »
Agree, the S2000 was a high reving beast. But the Mx5 isn't just cute. It's a damn fine car. Not fast but a riot to drive. The new version is really sharp looking too.Dunno why Mazda never did a 'speed' version.Offer some sort of forced induction.

rklein

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2016, 02:00 am »
Agree, the S2000 was a high reving beast. But the Mx5 isn't just cute. It's a damn fine car. Not fast but a riot to drive. The new version is really sharp looking too.Dunno why Mazda never did a 'speed' version.Offer some sort of forced induction.

+1.  When my miata was getting xpelled (thanks srb)   the installer had two ferraries along with a brand new vette on his floor.   All 3 owners loved the look of the new Miata.

I love the S2000.  However, the fun start when the rpm's hit 6000.  The miata is a blast in the first three gears.   I have driven both cars and while I love the S2000, I prefer the handling of the miata. 

The beauty of the miata is you can have a blast getting to the 45/55 mph speed limit.

Randy

lowtech

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2016, 08:06 am »
I'll take a turbo charged BRZ, please.  Nah - I'm still very happy with my Evo8.  It crushes most anything costing twice the price.   :lol:

rklein

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2016, 11:33 am »
I'll take a turbo charged BRZ, please.  Nah - I'm still very happy with my Evo8.  It crushes most anything costing twice the price.   :lol:

The BRZ is another cool car.   The problem I faced was my bucket list of must haves...
2 seater
Convertible
Manual tranny

Or maybe I should have been like my brother who ended up with a 1962 classic vette(all original)

Randy

roscoe65

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2016, 12:44 pm »
The Flyin' Miata LS conversion car is actually $50k plus the cost of your car, which for a ND Miata will be at least another $30k.  We're talking about an $80k car here, which puts the Miata in competition with a lot of other cars on paper.

However, as a former Miata owner, you're comparing comparable vehicles.  Miatas have always been pretty elemental, tight, lightweight cars.  They were intended to be a modern expression of the British Sports car (i.e., Lotus Elan).  They have a short wheelbase (90"), low CG, and weigh less than 2300 lbs stock.  They steering wheel feels directly connected to the front tires.  You can run skinny tires and throw it into a 4 wheel drift at will.  They don't really need that much power.  They are also very tough, reliable, and virtually every part of the car can be upgraded or tweaked, and with a strong (27 year) following, dedicated race classes and series, and huge aftermarket support are hobby cars of the first degree.

Putting a LS engine doesn't give you a Miata that competes with a Corvette (or porsche or anything else for that matter).  You have a car with the same engine and tranny, but with 1,000 pounds less weight and a 16" shorter wheelbase.  You have a modern day improved 427 Cobra.  It is purely a fun machine, not necessarily a track monster nor a car that will compete in objective terms with every other performance car off the showroom floor.

The other factor is that most V8 Miatas are not turn key cars - they are put together by enthusiasts.  The V8 is one of many (2.0l, turbo, SC, Ford V8) power upgrade options available to these small, lightweight cars.  Comparing a LS-swapped Miata to a comparably priced off the shelf sports car is like comparing my Altec 414/802/32A custom speakers with a pair of Klipsch P-37F speakers.  They both spec out about the same, both would cost me about $2,000, and both are around the same size and footprint (more or less).  However, the Altecs are an expression of my own ideas, are exactly what I want, conform to my idea of what good sound can be, and if I were to buy them off the shelf (if available - they are the equivalent to SHino Petite LaTours) would cost me 10 time as much.