New Proud Owner of VR-4JRs

nickgregory

New Proud Owner of VR-4JRs
« on: 2 May 2016, 12:37 pm »
Back in 2005 I went to a friends house to pregame before a Springsteen solo show and he had the most mind blowing setup I had ever heard.  Conrad Johnson separates bi-amped to 4Jrs.  Fast forward to 2007 I bought a pair of VR-2s from VS directly and have had them happily in my system since then.  The past couple of years, I have been looking for 4Jrs in the used market, but either the timing didn't work out or the pair had issues.  Happy to say I found a pair yesterday that look flawless based on pics.  Cannot wait to get them in my system.  Going to be a long couple of weeks as they make it to NC from California...

System comprises of

Nottingham Interspace Jr with Benz L2 cart
Musical surroundings Phonomea ii
Conrad Johnson PV11 Pre
Conrad Johnson MF80 Amp (lower)
Primaluna Prologue 5 Amp (upper)

Needless to say I am pretty jacked....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: New Proud Owner of VR-4JRs
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2016, 01:03 pm »
Cool.  Another NC audio guy.   :o

nickgregory

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2016, 01:06 pm »
Yup, based out of Raleigh?  you in NC?

nickgregory

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2016, 12:09 pm »
Got these beauties in yesterday and they sound fantastic.  Came packaged in these robust wood shipping crates.  Only issue so far is the rear firing tweeter on the right one doesn't seem to be working, but in fairness I need to spend some time rehooking them up and making sure I didn't cause anything. Worst case, I have a pair of cosmetically perfect and sonically fantastic (absent that one tweeter) speaker, that I am sure I can ask VS about options to correct. 

I am a little sad seeing my VR2s go as they have been part of my system for so long, but the step up on these is incredible. 

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2016, 12:31 pm »
Absolutely beautiful Nick.  Tho long out of production, the VR4Jrs remain highly coveted!  Enjoy!!  Jack

Escott1377

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2016, 12:48 pm »
Absolutely beautiful Nick.  Tho long out of production, the VR4Jrs remain highly coveted!  Enjoy!!  Jack

Hmm, rumored to be bringing a new version back into production to tackle the sub $10k speaker market...:)

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2016, 08:32 pm »
Hmm, rumored to be bringing a new version back into production to tackle the sub $10k speaker market...:)
Hello friends,

I have always loved the VR-4jr's .

Damon, Albert, and I have had this discussion about creating a contemporary version of the 4jr's.  We realized we already had one, and it's called the Endeavor E-3MkII.  It out performs the VR-4 jr's in every way due to advancements in driver technology, crossover design , and control of resonance in cabinet construction just to name a few.  Given the success of the E-3MkII and it's performance this is the speaker that is today's VR-4jr.  It just has a different name:)

rich58b

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2016, 08:44 pm »
What is the Endeavor  E-3MkII? I can't find mention of it anywhere on your website, either of them.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2016, 09:06 pm »
Here's their website.

I heard them at Axpona. They're boss. They're fantastic speakers.

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2016, 09:12 pm »
Yup, based out of Raleigh?  you in NC?

Yup, jtwrace is in NC, and me too.

Looks like it's G2G time at your place!

Congrats on the new ax. Must sound super sexy with tubes - and those tubes in particular!

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2016, 10:04 pm »
Here's their website.

I heard them at Axpona. They're boss. They're fantastic speakers.
Thank you Folsom for posting the link to Endeavor's webpage :D

Escott1377

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2016, 10:06 pm »
Leif what is retail?

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2016, 10:07 pm »
$8k

How have you been?

Escott1377

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2016, 12:43 am »
$8k

How have you been?

I'm sitting pretty with the upgrade jr's that you guys did for me last fall.

My next move is possibly th 55's, but that will be in our next house in a few years.

And you guys will probably have something new for me to spend my money on :)

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2016, 04:52 am »
I'm sitting pretty with the upgrade jr's that you guys did for me last fall.

My next move is possibly th 55's, but that will be in our next house in a few years.

And you guys will probably have something new for me to spend my money on :)
I'm glad your enjoying your speakers :D

Something pretty major would have to take place technology wise for the VR-55's to be replaced lol.  They will be here when your ready.

nc42acc

« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2016, 09:48 pm »
Congratulations Nick on the Von Schweikert additions. Fellow NC Von Schweikert owner here.

nickgregory

« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2016, 09:40 pm »
Thanks all...having spent quite a bit of time with these speakers and I have to say I am blown away.  I expected an improvement from the VR-2s but this takes it another level completely.  I have found my last pair of speakers without question.  Now I may get the upgrade at some point, but that will be a ways out...and until then I am extremely happy.

As stated earlier I had an original issue with one of the rear firing tweeters not working...well, got some input from Albert to take a look at, and it turns out it was just a connection that must have shaken loose in shipping.  Speakers are now firing on all cylinders.  Cannot ask for better customer service, especially considering this is a pair of speakers I bought used.  VS continues to be my favorite audio dealer. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2016, 10:17 pm »
Nick,

Congratulations on your find.

I've been hunting for my next (hopefully last) speakers for several months now, and I got a bit of a surprise when I clicked on a link to see your VR-4JR speakers. These look very much like the speakers that have formed in my mind as one of my "gotta audition" designs. I don't know if I arrived at this design simply as a result of a couple years of research, or if my repeated exposure to Marty's profile (nc42acc) picture burned an image into my imagination. Regardless, this design is competing with other designs for my attention.

Enjoy!

Michael

nc42acc

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2016, 11:19 pm »
Michael if you can find a pair of VR5 Ann. MKIIs you will not ever want for another speaker.