Overdrive SX DAC shipping

audioengr

Overdrive SX DAC shipping
« on: 21 Nov 2015, 08:19 pm »
This is the DAC to beat, IMO.  The Overdrive SX is in another league.  Better focus and better dynamics even than the SE.  My wife gives it a 20% improvement factor over the SE.  It is finally listed on the website and I have several orders for them, although I don't talk about the differences there. Don't currently have a webmaster, but I will get some edits in there soon.

After the first customer gets an SX DAC, I will ask him to post impressions.  Photos coming soon.

Retail is $12,995.00

Steve N.

firedog

Re: Overdrive SX DAC shipping
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2015, 02:52 pm »
That's great, but don't you think for a $12K item you need to get a description up ASAP about what makes it worth double the price of its predecessor?.....

jjh1585

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2015, 01:11 am »
Steve are you using USB or SPDIF input? Thanks.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2015, 05:24 am »
Steve are you using USB or SPDIF input? Thanks.

The Overdrive SX has 3 inputs: S/PDIF, I2S and either USB or Ethernet. The best sounding of these is the USB or Ethernet.

Steve N.

ctsooner

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2015, 11:26 am »
Great to see that it's out Steve.  I'm loving the SE so much.  Honestly, Dr Matt and I have been listening to a lot of DAC;s recently and I haven't heard one that I'd get over my SE and that includes the DCS, Berkley Ref, Trinity Ref, Lampinator, PS Audio and the list goes on.  Just great gear.  I fell into getting my Vandersteen Treo's, Ayre AX5/Twenty and the SE and couldn't be more pleased with the system.  Congrats, I can't wait to get to hear the SX one of these days. 

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2015, 07:53 pm »
Great to see that it's out Steve.  I'm loving the SE so much.  Honestly, Dr Matt and I have been listening to a lot of DAC;s recently and I haven't heard one that I'd get over my SE and that includes the DCS, Berkley Ref, Trinity Ref, Lampinator, PS Audio and the list goes on.  Just great gear.  I fell into getting my Vandersteen Treo's, Ayre AX5/Twenty and the SE and couldn't be more pleased with the system.  Congrats, I can't wait to get to hear the SX one of these days.

I'm so pleased that you are enjoying the DAC.  My wife calls the SX a "breakthrough" product, not just an incremental improvement.  I wish I could just rework an SE to make an SX, but its a nightmare to try this.

Thanks,
Steve N.

ctsooner

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:13 am »
I'm sure it is. I won't be able to ever afford one, but I'm sure it will be very special.  I've heard some good DAC's lately and my SE stacks up with most.  It's much more musical than most and it gets the sibilance correct which most high end products can't.

indirstr8s

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2015, 02:27 pm »
Is it the same chassis as ODE?

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2015, 05:34 pm »
Is it the same chassis as ODE?
Yes, but different volume knob.  Substation is different inside as well and new front panels for both.

ctsooner

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2016, 03:58 pm »
Can't wait to hear it.  Hopefully I can make it down to Matt's once he gets it in. 

indirstr8s

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2016, 03:15 pm »
The Overdrive SX has 3 inputs: S/PDIF, I2S and either USB or Ethernet. The best sounding of these is the USB or Ethernet.

Steve N.

Does the USB still require special drivers. Same question for the ethernet input. With either input does it work with OSX 10.11 and Amarra?

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2016, 11:35 pm »
Does the USB still require special drivers. Same question for the ethernet input. With either input does it work with OSX 10.11 and Amarra?

Ethernet works with several different software setups including Jriver.  Amarra does not support it.  It is independent of OS and platform.  Even an iPad with the right S/W should work over WiFi.

The new USB requires user-installed drivers only for PC, not Mac or Lynux.

Steve N.

kerisabe

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2021, 02:00 am »
Entering 2021, was wondering when were the latest updates were implemented on the overdrive sx and the interchange network renderer. Thank you.