This is a Test, Only a Test!!

adydula

• Restricted
This is a Test, Only a Test!!
« on: 20 Nov 2017, 01:39 am »
Posting this in the headphones section because I discovered this with headphones!

I was listening today to an old CD of Dave Brubecks, the famous, "Time Out" album.

Listening to the Take Five track #3 after the opening settles down starting around 1:54 and continuing..

I notice a distorted warbling in the right channel....amazing I have never heard this before on any system or set of headphones.

I thought it was my T1's going bonkers in the left earpiece, but I hear it on several headphones, amps, and the original CD in a cd player.

I have had this cd for ages....

Wondering if this CD has this issue being mastered long ago and its just part of the music and mastering good or bad?

If any of you folks has this cd, please give it a listen critically and let me know..

A long time ago I had a cd that would not rip to flac one track and I bought a second on and it did indeed work ok.

Thanks
Alex

dB Cooper

Re: This is a Test, Only a Test!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2017, 02:09 am »
I tested for this by listening to the HDTracks 88.2 remastered version with both my Sennheiser HD650's and Shure SE535's and did not hear the artifacts you describe. But just to be clear, are you hearing a warbling independent of the music (like something oscillating), or does it affect the sound of instrument(s) (like flutter- Brubeck's piano, an instrument that reveals flutter mercilessly, is on the right)? Also, is it just on Take Five or are any of the other tracks affected? At any rate, mine sounds clean, but FWIW I hae heard 'problem rips' cause artifacting occasionally..

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2017, 02:35 am »
I just listen this track on my CD 1997 and on a superb JAP single layer SACD and did not hear anything wrong.

What I hear is that at 01:50 the piano changes the tempo of the song.
I believe your copy is defective and the CD player could not fix it in the sampling process. Or you listen the snare drum from Joe Morello.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2017, 03:09 am »
Morello's drums are on the left and the OP was hearing a problem on the right.

This is a fairly prominent jazz recording and I'm interested to hear what others have to say, but FRM and myself at least  don't seem to have the same problem FWIW. If there were a problem with the master, seems like there'd be some 'word on the street'.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2017, 03:16 am »
On my CDs the drums are in the center.
By the way the original Mono LP cover was great:

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2017, 12:23 pm »
On my CDs the drums are in the center.
By the way the original Mono LP cover was great:

Interesting... I went back and listened and on my HDTracks they're definitely on the left, with Desmond just left-of-center, Brubeck right, bassist Wright fairly centered. Don't know if any of the various remasterings fooled around with the mix. Anybody else?

As an unrelated side note, I find that 'Time Out' and 'Kind of Blue' were both recorded the same year but to me, 'Time Out' is a noticeably more modern sounding recording- more 'presence' and quieter.
Interesting that the mono and stereo releases had different cover art; I never knew that. Guess that made it easier in the record store. Mono AND stereo releases were common in those early stereo days. Not everyone embraced the newfangled technology, especially at a time when many speakers were the size of small refrigerators.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2017, 02:48 pm »
The HDTracks was re-pan? or this is due the my HE400?

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2017, 03:46 pm »
I can't say for sure because I only have the HDTracks version on hand. It would be unusual to change that, although I have heard a few incidents of stuff like that happening- for instance, I've heard that the channels were flipped vís a vís the master tape in the original Santana 'Abraxas' release (this was apparently discovered by Mobile Fidelity in the course of doing their recent vinyl remaster).

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2017, 06:57 pm »
Ok,

I tried the original cd on a seperate pc from its internal cd drive, to a set of external speakers.
The issue is still there...

Right channel, piano side....warbling or slight distortion....a distinct muffled sound that may be from the piano..not sure.

I think it must be the cd then....going to buy another or do the HD Tracks download.

Stay tuned.
and many thanks to all that "tested".
Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2017, 08:50 pm »
So you could listen online?
Do you confirm its at 1:54 Time Out track?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2017, 11:48 pm »
I could confirm at approx 1:54 into the 3rd cut on the cd that this anomoly starts...its definity distortion of somekind, it may be the bass vs the piano.

The cd I have is TIME OUT, The Dave Brubeck Quartet, with 7 tracks.

Its the one that I posted a picture of the cd cover art. Take Five is the third cut on this cd.

I ordered one from Amazon and I listend to the digital download, but that is mp3, but it was clean in this area.

The distorted sound goes on for quite awhile after 1:54 into it.

Stay tuned
Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2017, 12:21 am »
The distorted sound goes on for quite awhile after 1:54 into it.
By what you said its not music, just microfilm fail or dust at the CD press moment. Chances are the new CD you ordered now is defective too if its from the same batch as the previous one. As I have various defective CDs from this very fine native american music:
https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mockingmusic3

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2017, 02:47 am »
I will rip the cd again with verify on....I did this many years ago....so the cd I just bought should be 10+ years later(I hope) unless Amazon has real old stock of this cd in their wharehouse!!

When I ripped my entire library several years back there were a few cd's that were indeed troublesome to rip...they would go into retry limbo and this is when dbpoweramp was failry new and took a rocket scientist to set up for accurate rips....

I had a Spyrogyra "Carnival" cd that would rip completely and I re-purchased it and it workedfirst time, subsequent tries with many different settings and differnt rip programs would not rip that defective cd....but it played in a cd player!!!

Stay tuned
Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2017, 02:58 am »
CD players error correction system have hard work w/many CDs to recover faulty data to delivery music.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2017, 01:55 pm »
Agree there....I also tried a separate external cd player an external usb cd drive...same results, when the tempo changes at approx 1:50 on Time Out I hear the distortion.

Re-ripping with analyze/verify on did nothing to find or improve the audio on this track.

New cd arrives tomorrow.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2017, 11:57 pm »
Well the new CD arrived.

It looks the same as my original but its not...

The original number is: 7464-08192-2 Released 1984.
The new one is:           7464-65122-2 Released  1997.

According to https://www.discogs.com/artist/251689-The-Dave-Brubeck-Quartet
There are 243 types of this recording!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new one has a yellow promo sticker that touts: 20 bit remastered, finest sound possible!!

All the tracks correspond to the original one and Take Five plays perfectly!

So IMO the orignal disc has some distortion or garbage floating around from its manufacture....or burning bits into the aluminum...

So my issue is resolved.

The newer disc sounds just great as did the original except for this track.

oh well time to move on!

Thanks for all the input.
Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 23 Nov 2017, 12:24 am »
On your new CD how is the instrument placement in the soundstage?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 23 Nov 2017, 12:30 am »
Great IMO...Drums on left, horn just a little left of center, piano right side. Very clear, crisp...you can easily hear the horns reed and how its being played...amazing.

Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 23 Nov 2017, 12:56 am »
This is on HPs or speakers?
My CD also is the 65122 from 1997 and the instruments are all centered in a deep stage on my HE400 powered by the PC sound card.

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 23 Nov 2017, 02:54 am »
Again, CD 65122, HE 400S, ear to ear out of head sound stage, drums far right sax center and piano far left. The piano as well as drum solo energize entire recording venue and reverberation is clearly heard.
Reed clearly audible on sax as well as fingering of strings on bass.
No anomalies heard on my dBpoweramp rip to wav.
Scotty