Amps at VSAC. . .

Hantra

Amps at VSAC. . .
« on: 9 Oct 2003, 02:25 am »
Kevin:

Doesn't sound like anyone tried to kill you for bringing a non-tube amp to VSAC.   :lol:   No doubt that was because of the buffer.  

Anyhow, I saw the pics on 6Moons, and that is one nice looking piece of gear!  I gotta hear it!!!!!!

B

KevinW

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2003, 03:45 am »
Most people were very surprised and interested in the concept of a tube/class D hybrid.  Only a couple of people looked like they wanted to run screaming from the room becuase it used solid state. :)   Nobody could tell from the sound that there was a solid-state output stage, and I heard many of positive comments on the sound quality. Many people stayed to listen for a while.

Here's another photo to whet your appetite.  Official pictures, specs, etc... will be released in a matter of days.

I have done everything possible to make this amp scream out "quality", including chassis design and internal components.

And since I haven't seen any photos of my bamboo speakers on the web, here's a nice look....

MaxCast

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2003, 11:02 am »
Damn, Kev.  You stay in the Penthouse??  You had a fire place in your room :wink:
Very nice looking amp and speakers.  How many outs does the amp have?  Are you going to send one on tour?

KevinW

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2003, 03:17 pm »
No, that's the doghouse... er I mean listening room in my basement. :)

It has three inputs, but I could add a fourth if only having three isn't enough.  Opinions?

Hantra

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2003, 06:09 pm »
but I could add a fourth if only having three isn't enough. Opinions?

3 is plenty. . .  IMO. . .  When can we hear it!?

MaxCast

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2003, 07:14 pm »
:wave:

Quote from: MaxCast
 How many outs does the amp have?  Are you going to send one on tour?

KevinW

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2003, 08:05 pm »
I'll send one out soon... I don't want to make any promises in terms of time frame.  Priority will go to sales, naturally. :)

MaxCast

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2003, 08:44 pm »
Sorry, I was unclear.  I should have asked if there was a set of preamp outputs to drive subs.  Are there?

KevinW

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2003, 01:58 am »
Oh yeah, I'm a big believer in preamp/sub outs.  Not that this amp needs any additional "muscle" to make deep tight bass, but it still gives maximum flexibility for biamping, additional subs, etc...

doug s.

• makin' music
Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2003, 02:42 am »
kevin,

imo, for *best* flexibility, besides pre outs for subs, there should be main ins for an active x-over, so the integrated's amp can crossed over for the monitors.  or, if ya don't have a sub, ya could actively bi-amp...  will this unit have main inputs, and/or a true tape monitor loop?

doug s.

MaxCast

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2003, 12:07 pm »
Hell, through a 5.1 channel input as well so we could hook up some hi-rez and buy more amps from you :wink:

KevinW

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2003, 03:49 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
kevin,

imo, for *best* flexibility, besides pre outs for subs, there should be main ins for an active x-over, so the integrated's amp can crossed over for the monitors.  or, if ya don't have a sub, ya could actively bi-amp...  will this unit have main inputs, and/or a true tape monitor loop?

doug s.

Doug,
With an integrated amp, every input is a main in... all you have to do is open the volume control all the way.  A tape monitor loop is something I could add as a special option.  There is room in the chassis for this.  It will not be standard, however, as it would add some additional cost that not everybody would want, IMO.

KevinW

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2003, 03:51 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Hell, through a 5.1 channel input as well so we could hook up some hi-rez and buy more amps from you :wink:

Okay, consider it done if you promise to buy lots of amps. ;)

After I get product rolling, I'll start looking into this.  I'll also be working on a big 20 Hz to 20 kHz speaker that should provide more than ample competition to the other big boys on AC.

doug s.

• makin' music
Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2003, 04:15 pm »
kevin,  a main input is one that completely bypasses the pre, allowing for another pre to use it as a stand-alone amp.  the integrated's wolume pot would have no effect whatsoever.  when not in use, jumper plugs are needed...  generally much simpler & cheaper than a full tape monitor loop.

without a main input, you cannot use an active x-over between input & output, sending the hi-pass to the amp of the integrated, & the low pass to a subwoofer amp.

in any event, the option of a real tape loop should suffice...

thanks,

doug s.

KevinW

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2003, 04:50 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
kevin,  a main input is one that completely bypasses the pre, allowing for another pre to use it as a stand-alone amp.

Right, and I'm saying that if you turn the volume full-up, then this accomplishes exactly the same thing.  It acts just like a stereo amp with no loss of sound quality.  In my amp, there are no crummy plastic pots... I use only immersion cryo treated Dact attenuators, which have practically no deleterious effect on the sound.  Any lesser volume control would be audible in my amps, because they are so transparent.  If this doesn't accomplish what you are asking for, please explain.

without a main input, you cannot use an active x-over between input & output, sending the hi-pass to the amp of the integrated, & the low pass to a subwoofer amp.

Are you saying that you want the active XO inside the amp, or would it be external and upstream of the integrated amp?

nathanm

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2003, 04:54 pm »
Is it safe to assume this is amp does not use an....ICKY pot!?  But seriously, the case looks good to this shiny metal afficianado.  I just hope those aren't icky pots behind those nice knobs! :wink:

Maybe, given the "green" nature of SHF you could have bamboo knob covers that slid over the pots.  You know, like a cut cross section of the stalk with an end cap of contrasting color that matched the side cheeks.

doug s.

• makin' music
Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2003, 06:45 pm »
kevin, my x-over would be *in* the integrated, but only electronically.   :)  

if i had an integrated, it would send signal from pre out to input of my outboard active x-over.  high pass would go to main input of integrated, so monitors would be playing thru the integrated amp's speaker outputs, but they wouldn't be playing any low frequencies.  low frequencies would be from the outboard amp & subs, getting signal from the low-pass outs of the x-over...  the wolume pot is needed to control the standard line inputs...   :wink:

i never said ya used cheap pots, but without preamp outs/main ins, ya cannot run an integrated as described above, no matter *how* good the pots are!   :)

see the pic below, for an example of main ins/pre outs on an old receiver:

regards,

doug s.

Hantra

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2003, 07:12 pm »
What about a mono switch?  It really would help for some of those pesky old recordings where they pan everything and make it seem like stereo, and it SUCKS. . .

B

doug s.

• makin' music
Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2003, 07:17 pm »
here HERE hantra!  a few years back, i put on an old jimi hendrix "smash hits" album, that i hadn't played for years, & i broke out into fits of laughter, the recording was miked so badly, it was funny!  definitely only listenable in mono...

doug s.

KevinW

Amps at VSAC. . .
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2003, 07:41 pm »
Doug,
Okay, I see where you are going.  I could add this option as custom, but it would not be standard.  I probably won't even advertise it as an option, just because it seems like something few people would want.

Besides... my amps don't need bi-amping as much as others.  Especially the amp with tubes. Plenty of power, and that sweet tube sound.