Anyone have a VW diesel subject to the settlement?

ctviggen

Re: Anyone have a VW diesel subject to the settlement?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Dec 2016, 08:20 pm »
In Europe, they have high gas taxes and also engine sizes are taxed. The larger the engine, the higher the tax. That's why you saw 2.0L engines from European cars when American cars were using much larger engines.

I personally like the European features better. In my Saab, you could put it in a mode where you could turn only only the fog lights and the driving lights (no front beams), which was really helpful.  My Volt has no side turn signal (on my VW's side mirrors; on the side of the car in the Saab). I like the rear fog light in European cars. 

Of course, I LOVED night panel in my Saab, which would dim everything except the speedometer (although gas and the like would undim if necessary). 

I also liked the ability I had with my Saab to leave all lights on all the time (including headlights), and having them turn off when I turned off the car.  I think it's safer to have rear lights and head lights than the puny and front only "driving lights" we have here in the US. 

Philistine

« Reply #21 on: 23 Dec 2016, 08:35 pm »
I had a turbo diesel Volvo for 4 years when I lived in Germany (engine supplied by Audi), it was economical, quiet and had bags of torque - this was 20 years ago,  In comparison US diesel technology at the same time was in the stone age.  In 2006 Audi raced the diesel powered R10 in the Le Man 24 hour race and won, they went on to win more races and continued the development to the R15.  Audi did this as a showcase for TDI (Turbocharged Direct Injection) and Common Rail injection, the US had no interest in developing diesel engines with gas being so cheap.  TDI and Common Rail are all used in the VW's in the settlement.  A few years ago s guy had a VW Toureg with a V10 turbo diesel and used to challenge rednecks with their F150's etc to a tug of war - the VW had so much torque it ate the US trucks for lunch.  Ultimately VW stopped importing this engine option in the US, I tried to buy one, and was told it was an emission related issue behind this.

Diesel engined cars were more prominent in France initially with Renault and Citroen, followed by Fiat and the VAG group - all of these are small car producers and people bought these because they were more economical to own based on lower fuel prices.  EU emission regulations are tightening up, so much so that Renault has announced that it will stop producing diesel engines as they can't meet these proposed regulations.  Recent studies have shown that diesel engines produce more toxic emissions than gas engines, along with the sub-micron particulate they they struggle to capture with the filters they're using.  So it looks like diesel technology may be heading for the history books anyway.

I've lived in the US now for 16 years, initially I was going to get a locally made muscle car but finished up with an Audi and then BMW's. I test drove a Corvette when I first arrived and it was a piece of junk, couldn't corner and the build quality was appalling - it's good to see that Ford and GM are starting to get their act together but they're still playing catch up with the Germans.  I've just bought another BMW and love it, the only US producer that I would consider is Tesla - they're not stuck in the Detroit paradigm.  I trained with the Audi rally team in Germany, so I'm biased towards having a car that handles well and performs....this taints my response, but thought I'd share the views of someone who owned gas and diesel cars in the US and Europe.

ctviggen

« Reply #22 on: 23 Dec 2016, 09:23 pm »
Good points. 

I ended up buying a Chevy Volt, as I should be electric easily 90+ percent of the time.  I use the car as a commuter. 

I loved the Saab I had, I had the high performance model (Viggen).  However, I realized I basically drive all back roads where the highest speed is 35 MPH.  For me, I can't see  buying a high performance car to go 35 MPH.  It doesn't compute for me.  When I was single, I got to drive fast sometimes.  But now I just shuffle to and from work, and we use the 7 passenger Honda for long trips.  I'm basically never alone on a road when I can use any power, and if I do go fast on the very windy roads here in CT, everyone in the car complains.

So, I'll be driving my silent Volt (at least it's silent inside -- they've added a noise outside to let people know you're coming) to and from work.  That is, once I turn in the VW.  I'm driving the VW until then. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 23 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm »
I'm not sure the US car mfgrs are playing catch-up anymore. The newest Chevy Camaro and Vette are more than competitive and cost a lot less vs Porsche/Audi... The new Mustang GT350 has a 500+ hp flat-crank V8 with an 8200 rpm redline. The Cadillac CTS-V and Chevy SS are embarrassing BMW's M-cars. 

IMO, Germans have gone backwards to a large degree as far as quality and reliability, dieselgate was also very embarrassing for them.

Also, some European cities have to deal with a lot more smog mostly because of their diesel powered vehicles. US may be much more restrictive but it has had it's pros.

drphoto

« Reply #24 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:57 pm »
It seems like a lot of diesel owners are going to come out ahead on this. As far as the 3.0T, from what I've seen on the VW Vortex forum they're gonna get an even better deal (buyback at retail).

And yes, VW execs were idiots for doing this. However, as a proud owner of a 2012 Sportwagen (gas motor) I still think they build some fantastic cars. No one else still sells an affordable wagon in the States. Plus their build quality is impeccable. This car is a lot of fun to drive, way more than it should be for what is basically an econobox. I love everything about it, except the sound system. And I think the notion that VW is unreliable is no longer true, as it was earlier. I've had mine for 1.5 years with zero problems. (and drive the snot out of it) True, the maintaince cost is a bit higher than say a Toyota. The designers and engineers got it right.

Some day I will own a GTI. Wish they sold the Scirocco in the US.

And totally agree the US manufactures have caught up. If I had the money and wanted a high performance coupe, I would certainly take a Camaro or Mustang these days. GM & Ford have improved tremendously across their product lines. Hell the 'Vette, built here in my state is equal in many aspects to world class supercars.

Happy new year to all, and I hope those of you who own diesel VW come out satisfied.

chip

« Reply #25 on: 7 Feb 2017, 10:11 pm »

Some day I will own a GTI. Wish they sold the Scirocco in the US.

GTIs are fun cars we had 3 in our cul-de-sac for a month until my neighbor switched his car out again  :duh:. Mine is a MK6 and the other two MK7.

I think alot of people agree on the Scirocco as well along with other cars that don't come to the states. One I wish they would bring would be the Audi rs6 wagon.

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 7 Feb 2017, 11:01 pm »
I'm not sure the US car mfgrs are playing catch-up anymore. The newest Chevy Camaro and Vette are more than competitive and cost a lot less vs Porsche/Audi... The new Mustang GT350 has a 500+ hp flat-crank V8 with an 8200 rpm redline. The Cadillac CTS-V and Chevy SS are embarrassing BMW's M-cars. 

IMO, Germans have gone backwards to a large degree as far as quality and reliability, dieselgate was also very embarrassing for them.

Also, some European cities have to deal with a lot more smog mostly because of their diesel powered vehicles. US may be much more restrictive but it has had it's pros.

I would not say that about Porsche. They're more reliable than anything else made in Europe or 'domestic' Chevy/Ford. (Toyota is the biggest manufacturer in the USA)

But you're certainly not wrong that dollars to performance ratio has changed a lot recently. Sadly the price for horsepower you could buy in the late 1960's, is now not just premium but super-duper premium in price tag. And considering for many of the sports cars it's about as easy as a cam swap and computer change, well.... They make you bend over backwards for a bump.

However, style is important to me and I'm not that into many of the new cars.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2017, 03:57 pm »
I think Chevy and Ford are still on a roll and the cars are improving quickly... the new Camaro ZL1 is pretty amazing and apparently they fit 11 heat exchangers so it'll hold up to track use better. It's true that Porsche has been offering more "track ready" cars for a very long time, but these cars are only for the very wealthy while a Vette/Camaro/Mustang are priced so many more people can afford them. Not cheap, but in terms of performance cars that won't get destroyed from use on a track anything under 6 figures isn't bad. My STi is one of the cheapest options but it still requires upgraded oil and water cooling, better front brake ventilation, and camber plates to get a proper alignment. Hopefully Porsche can maintain their standards, it doesn't seem like the others have, just from looking at Consumer Reports ratings...

I would have a real problem owning a Camaro or Mustang as far as looks, imo they are incredibly ugly and stupid looking cars, they are also too big and heavy for what they are... I do like the Vette though. :)