HD AVA...any experiences?

RDavidson

HD AVA...any experiences?
« on: 23 Aug 2016, 01:39 am »
Anyone using an HD AVA?
With all the hoopla around the Parasound Halo Integrated since it's intro, one would think the HD AVA might enter the conversation. It appears to have everything the Halo has and more. The most notable feature, to me, is the HDMI functionality which makes the HD AVA even easier for 2 channel "HT" use than the Parasound.

Any experience anyone?
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2016, 02:43 am by RDavidson »

rustydoglim

Re: HD AVA...any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2016, 09:07 pm »
I guess you can follow the HD-AVP discussion.  HD-AVA simply has the stereo IDA-16 amp module inside.

pconley2

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2016, 09:20 pm »
R, I have the AVP, which I use as pre-pro attached to a Parasound A-31 as I only can do 3 channels in my room.  If you are thinking of this as a AV system, I can give high marks to the Nuprime, and their support staff.  the combination of NuPrime and Parasound is a very good, easy to use, good sounding, great video product combination.  I don't think of the Parasound as the control for an AV system, but I may be wrong (i am a fan of both companies).
Phil

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2016, 11:35 pm »
Thanks for the input. Good to know the amp in the AVA is the same as the IDA-16. Reading about the AVA on the Nuprime site, this aspect wasn't really clear to me.

What interests me about the AVA is that it is essentially a 2 channel "HT" integrated amp. There are only a few products similar to this, short of an HT receiver (which would have too many bells and whistles and not as good of an amp section... generally speaking).

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2016, 09:03 pm »
Thanks for the input. Good to know the amp in the AVA is the same as the IDA-16. Reading about the AVA on the Nuprime site, this aspect wasn't really clear to me.

What interests me about the AVA is that it is essentially a 2 channel "HT" integrated amp. There are only a few products similar to this, short of an HT receiver (which would have too many bells and whistles and not as good of an amp section... generally speaking).

That is correct and all you need do to add a center, and surrounds, is to choose your speakers, and add STA-9 amps. :thumb:

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2016, 11:49 am »
This is an interesting thread. These past 8 years I have been traveling around the world with a Bel Canto S300 integrated amplifier. It was/is small, operated at 110/220 out of the box without having to toggle any switches. This past month i decided to settle down in the States and that meant a new integrated amp, one with both power and versatility and a whole slew of features.

After a bit of research I opted for the Parasound Halo Integrated Amp 2.1 over the Hegel H 160. At this point you may be wondering why I am replying in this thread, and here we go. It was not until yesterday when I received a private message from a frequent contributor to the Nuprime Circle which led to a phone conversation where among a number of topics we discussed my Parasound acquisition and the HD AVA was brought to my attention. This was the very FIRST time I have ever heard of the product and herein lies the rub....WHY???

Just been inspecting all the features and specs. Had I known about this unit it definitely would have made my shortilst and at the new price $1895 it would have risen closer to the top.

If this product is to be continued, i would strongly suggest supporting it with a WHOLE LOTTA LOVE and marketing.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2016, 05:49 pm »
I agree. There are folks out there who would love to more easily integrate a simple, but high performance hi-fi (2.0 or 2.1) with their video system via HDMI. The HD-AVA provides this. It's a unique product....that indeed needs marketing love.

pconley2

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2016, 06:05 pm »
Owning products from both companies, I want to echo davidavdavid on his comments that the AVP should be more well known.  I was about to pull the trigger on the pre-pro from NuForce when I heard that they were breaking off (not sure exactly what happened, I am sure details are covered somewhere), but in talking with John Casler and having gotten very quick responses from rustydoglim, I went ahead with the AVP purchase.  I am quite pleased with it, it has exceptional video playback which was its primary job, the sound is from a parasound a31 feeding PSB speakers and is an excellent (moderately) compact AV system.  I can't help with chosing between Parasound and NuPrime but I will say that the sound from the Parasounds in this system and my main two channel system is amazing. 

I would again say to the NuPrime people that the AVP product is excellent and should get more attention/marketing than it is currently getting, at least on this web site,

Phil

nocrapman

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2016, 07:57 pm »
+1
I cant even figure out where to purchase it from since it has caught my attention.
Waiting for JC to write back.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2016, 08:48 pm »
+1
I cant even figure out where to purchase it from since it has caught my attention.
Waiting for JC to write back.

You've got mail :thumb:

And I certainly know where you can get them. . . .  :green:

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2016, 08:56 pm »
Owning products from both companies, I want to echo davidavdavid on his comments that the AVP should be more well known.  I was about to pull the trigger on the pre-pro from NuForce when I heard that they were breaking off (not sure exactly what happened, I am sure details are covered somewhere), but in talking with John Casler and having gotten very quick responses from rustydoglim, I went ahead with the AVP purchase.  I am quite pleased with it, it has exceptional video playback which was its primary job, the sound is from a parasound a31 feeding PSB speakers and is an excellent (moderately) compact AV system.  I can't help with chosing between Parasound and NuPrime but I will say that the sound from the Parasounds in this system and my main two channel system is amazing. 

I would again say to the NuPrime people that the AVP product is excellent and should get more attention/marketing than it is currently getting, at least on this web site,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Great to hear you are enjoying your toys we got you.

I think you are correct that the Parasound gear is excellent.  I would however encourage anyone looking in the price range, to consider the MCH K-38 (the one I RAVED about a few weeks ago) for a slightly lower price.

You can bridge 6 channels to 3, (400wpc also) and still have a couple channels for surrounds if they appear in the future.

And bridging actually makes the channels sound (and measure) BETTER.

I don't think the K-38 was available when you ordered.

In any event, enjoy your gear.   :thumb:

pconley2

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2016, 12:32 am »
john, thanks for the feedback and the support during my buying process, but mostly I want to echo the thoughts on this thread, that you have a tremendous product, both in the AVP and the AVA and they are not getting the attention they deserve. I will vouch for the AVA, it is an excellent Pre-Pro, giving me a simple system that is focused on video quality and sound quality without having a back that looks like a I could connect the entire internet and still have extra connectors (that I don't need) left over.

Phil

pconley2

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2016, 12:35 am »
sorry, I meant the AVP (not the AVA which I haven't heard) but assume is fine.

chrisc

• Listen to the great composers
« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2016, 07:10 am »
Owning products from both companies, I want to echo davidavdavid on his comments that the AVP should be more well known.
Phil

I agree with these sentiments.  The AVP performs way better than the upmarket SONY it replaces.  The only niggles I have is that several remote functions do not work and there is always sound from the rear channels.  I looked at another HD-AVP which belongs to a user of the SA AV Forum and this one was 100%.  Also, despite sending a request for help to NuPrime's email address and also Mytdss 3 weeks back, I have received no reply or acknowledgement at all.

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2016, 06:43 pm »
....Also, despite sending a request for help to NuPrime's email address and also Mytdss 3 weeks back, I have received no reply or acknowledgement at all.
Sorry, the international support staff (who also handled sales) has been too busy lately (lots of sales after people came back from summer holidays). I will push them early next week to get this resolved.