DIY Iowa results and recognition (very long)….

jholtz

« on: 25 Oct 2004, 02:56 am »
I’d first like to thank everyone that attended this year’s event. I want to particularly thank Rick Craig, Dennis Murphy, Dave Ellis and Jim Salk for their attendance and support. It was a real treat having Rick and Dennis join us this year. I really enjoyed it. I’d also like to give a special thanks to Scott Quick and Jim Salk for the electronics they provided. The sound was excellent and the power was robust

The attendance at this year’s event was excellent. Over 30 people from all over the upper Midwest and Florida attended and brought 21 speakers to listen to. The speakers ranged from very inexpensive designs that were built for well under $100 to John K.’s NaO design built by John Pastuck and Jim Salk’s new super high end 3-way design.

I spent the day trying to keep things organized and tallying the feedback forms, so I didn’t get to actually listen very much. However, I was impressed at the number of very good sounding speakers at the event this year. Almost 450 feedback forms were filled out and submitted that had to be calculated to determine whose speakers were most liked in each category. I’ll only list the top two in each group and let other individuals comment on additional designs that were favored.  

****SPECIAL RECOGNITION****
I want to extend special recognition to the wonderful sponsors of the awards given in each class and a special “Award of Excellence” that was awarded to the most professional non commercial, non kit design.

Budget Class – Dave Ellis generously provided a pair of Hiquphon OW1’s for the best sound in this class. A wonderful gift for a beginning or budget speaker builder. Thank you Dave!

Mid range $250 - $500 Class – Sponsored by Parts Express. A special thank you to all around good guy, Darren Kutsma. Parts Express with Darren’s leadership  has been a strong and loyal supporter of the DIY community and should be recognized and applauded. Thank you Darren! The prizes included A pair of Usher 8945A carbon Fiber 7” woofers, one pair each of 6”, 7” and 8” Dayton Reference series drivers and many, many smaller items that became drawing giveaways. The Reference drivers were awarded to the 1st runner up in each class.

Unlimited class - Sponsored by Madisound. I want to thank Madisound for their support of the DIY events this year. It is deeply appreciated! They awarded the listeners choice in this category an unlimited 20% off gift certificate on one order. That’ll warm up your credit card! :-)

Award of Excellence – Sponsored by E-Speakers. I was quite overwhelmed with Andre’s generosity when the award arrived and I opened the box to see what was inside. Andre provided all the Aurum Cantus drivers for a very high end pair of 3-way’s consisting of  G3si ribbons, AC-130F1 5” mids and AC-250F1S 10” woofers. This is a spectacular award that is just as excellent as the design it was awarded to. Exceptional! Thank you Andre!

I also want to extend a special thanks to Bohdan, owner of Bodzio software, for again providing a free copy of his exceptional Soundeasy software. Bohdan has been a strong supporter of the DIY community and I want him to know how much we appreciate it.

Finally, Ray Kimber generously provided a whole box full of goodies including shirts, binding posts, CD’s etc. Lots and lots of fun stuff that we really appreciate.

**** LISTENERS CHOICE AWARD WINNERS ****

Budget:
Best of class was won by Maynard Goff with his Morel/M130/Dayton driver 3-way design.

1st runner up was won by Jeff Yourison with his Audax 8” 2-way design.
Great job guys!

Mid Class ($250 - $500):
Best of class was won by Scott Julian with his 2-way “Bevels” based on Excel and Dynaudio drivers

1st runner up was won by Scott Julian with his MBOW1 entry.
This was an unusual situation in that Scott had two entries that both sounded great. Excellent job Scott!

Unlimited Class:
Best sound of class was Jim Salk’s new 3-way tower. Absolutely stunning to look at and listen to. Aurum Cantus G2’s, Seas Excel mids and a custom made TC Sounds 10” woofers round out this spectacular speaker. Since Jim does offer his speakers for sale, he was not eligible for prizes but the quality of his speakers is just amazing. Great job Jim and thank you for making the long trip and allowing us to hear your creations!

1st runner up and award winner:  John Pastuck with the beautiful Nao design by John K. Exceptional sound that has to be heard to be appreciated. The Corian baffles are beautiful! Great job John! Ya, both of you…  :-)

2nd runner up: Nate Bryan with his excellent 2-way design utilizing Scan Speak 5” Revelator woofers and Morel MDT-30 tweeters. Excellent sound! Great job Nate!

Award of Excellence:
The criteria for the Award of Excellence was that the nominee must not be a commercial or a kit design and be created by a DIY’er from the beginning to the end. The goal was to pick the most polished and professional design without regard to the cost of the design so it could be a budget or an unlimited.

The winner by a very large margin was Wayne Wendel with his Sphere entry. A speaker in the shape of a ball with great sound and unbelievable imaging. Finished in a mirror shine gloss black that had significant WAF. Excellent job Wayne!

There were many drawings by Rick Craig and Dennis Murphy for the additional items that PE sent and for the excellent prizes provided by Ray Kimber. I apologize if I’ve missed anyone. I hope everyone that attended had as much fun as I did. Now it’s some one else’s turn to host next year so I can be an attendee again.

Jim

Marbles

Re: DIY Iowa results and recognition (very long)….
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2004, 02:26 pm »
Quote from: jholtz
Unlimited Class:
Best sound of class was Jim Salk’s new 3-way tower. Absolutely stunning to look at and listen to. Aurum Cantus G2’s, Seas Excel mids and a custom made TC Sounds 10” woofers round out this spectacular speaker. Since Jim does offer his speakers for sale, he was not eligible for prizes but the quality of his speakers is just amazing. Great job Jim and thank you for making the long trip and allowing us to hear your creations!  ...

Man I would love to listen to this speaker.

Anyone that was there or who has heard this speaker want to comment?

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2004, 02:55 pm »
I've heard from several people that Jim's speaker was the best sounding at the show.  I'm pretty sure it was the best looking.  I've seen his stuff up close and it's even more impressive.  The woodworking is nothing short of exquisite.  He's not too far from you, just north.  I'd try to get an audition if you have a chance.  

Looking forward to seeing the pix from the show.

J

jholtz

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2004, 08:15 pm »
I was so busy, I really didn't have a chance to sit down and listen to many of the speakers during the day. This is one I made time for. :-) It sounds even better than it looks, which is really saying something.

Jim Holtz

Quote from: Marbles
Man I would love to listen to this speaker.

Anyone that was there or who has heard this speaker want to comment?

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2004, 08:53 pm »
8) Are there any pictures anywhere of Wayne Wendel's creation?  I'd love to see it!

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2004, 11:41 pm »
Wow- Maynard Goff won in the budget category!  He used to be my boss a few years ago- great guy and a die hard DIY devotee.  I'm glad his design was recognized.  Way to go Maynard!

Michael

OBF

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2004, 12:52 am »
I was so busy, I really didn't have a chance to sit down and listen to many of the speakers during the day. This is one I made time for. :-) It sounds even better than it looks, which is really saying something.

That is ONE amazing looking speaker.  But an even better question, any comparrison to your own line arrays?  Does it just come down to a matter of preference or the type of music / listening style, like SPLs?

jholtz

Pictures!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:11 am »
Quote from: nathanm
8) Are there any pictures anywhere of Wayne Wendel's creation?  I'd love to see it!

There will be pictures along with my write up posted on audioDIYcentral.com soon. I've sent the info to Jim and have request that pictures be sent to him also. It should be up in few days at the most. Waynes "Spheres" are very cool! Unbelievable imaging.

Jim

jholtz

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:25 am »
Quote from: OBF

That is ONE amazing looking speaker.  But an even better question, any comparrison to your own line arrays?  Does it just come down to a matter of preference or the type of music / listening style, like SPLs?

This is tough to compare because they're very different speakers. I will without reservation say that I really, really like my Omegarrays and have yet to hear anything that I'd trade them for. I like the "real" sound that an array offers a lot. IMHO, it simply takes you to the performance with the dynamics and detail you'd expect to hear.

However, if I was in the market for a point source speaker, there would be two that would be on my very short list. Jim's Veracity towers and Rick's Chalcedony or Carnelian with a TC Sounds sub integrated into the cabinet. My reference prior to the Omegarrays was my JH3 Reference design that was a variation of Rick's RC3 speaker. The combination of an Excel woofer with the Morel mid dome and Foundtek ribbon has got to be exceptional. I can't think of any commercial speaker that could come close to any of the ones I listed without spending just ungodly money.

My $.02 worth.  :-)

Jim

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Sure, I can comment
« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2004, 02:24 am »
Jim's 3-way speakers sounded like...a Joeph Audio Pearl with better bass resolution.  Otherwise, Jim's 3-way and the J.A. Pearl are virutally identical.  Sure, the ribbon in Jim's speaker does sound slightly different than the Millenium in the J.A. Pearl, but this is only a "difference".  I don't think there is a clear winner for treble.  

I must admit, in all fairness, that I heard the J.A. Pearl on a KT88 push-pull tube amp.  I suppose this might leave the Pearl bass slightly lacking compared to the SS amp used on Jim's 3-way.  However, I am generally familair with the character change in the bass when moving from tubes to SS.  Given this... my opinion about the bass character in these speakers remains the same.  Jim's 3-way had better bass.