audio technica at lp120 two defective units in a row

pslate

Hey Vinyl Fans,

I am new to turntables, but not to audio. Basically I purchased the audio technica at lp120 and recieved two defective units in a row. Thankfully the Amazon return policy is excellent.  Can someone recommend a budget turntable that will be very reliable? Vinyl for my wife and I is fun and we do not need USB. We certainly do not need anything audiophile grade, just something that works.

Happy holidays everyone,
Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: audio technica at lp120 two defective units in a row
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2014, 12:00 pm »
Hi,
You might want to consider this one, it's belt drive and people seem to love it:
http://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-plus-turntable

It also comes with a lighter platter for a little less money. 
There are also other brands of direct drive DJ types like Stanton and Numark:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=745029&gclid=CL3n38eN3MICFWgF7AodXiUAsQ&is=REG&Q=&A=details

neo

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2014, 12:57 pm »

Minn Mark

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2014, 01:51 pm »
+1 for the Project. I have an older Debut III (before the carbon arm, and other updates) and while it's not Da Bomb, with an Ortofon MM cart and a stable platform, it ain't too bad.  Mine has been trouble free, and the fit'n finish is very good. No problems with hum, etc in my set-up.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2014, 05:18 pm »
I for one would like to see Wayner do a U-Turn shootout!

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2014, 08:21 pm »
What do you mean?

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2014, 10:53 pm »
Wayner, in the past you have bought TT's and modded them and did a review on them. I especially liked your anti skate mods on one of the "cheapo" turntables. I trust your opinion and I'd enjoy hearing what you have to say about it.

As a side note, retailer stereo store has a well-stocked record store attached to it... up here in northern Michigan...owner tells me he ordered about 8 U-Turn tt's without cartridges, he can make some money by putting a Grado on it. There's next to no profit in them but he figures every one he sells will be translated into a record buying customer.

So, sorry for the hijack, I just know that Wayner is a tinkerer!

Merry Christmas,

Paul

pslate

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2014, 01:04 am »
Pulled the trigger on the Project. Thank you Wayner for the link. That was a great price and I would not have done it otherwise.

Happy Holidays,
Paul

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2014, 12:33 pm »
I hope you like it. It's a good starter table and that one was suppose to come with an Ortofon cartridge. Music Direct is pretty darn good to deal with and if you don't like it, they will take it back.

Wayner

pslate

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2014, 04:16 pm »
One last quick question. I am started to get pulled into cartridge and stylus research. I wonder if this make me to send back the Debut III for the Carbon. But before I do something like that it is interesting that people change the stylus of the Ortofon OM 5E with OM 10, or OM 20 styli. In certain message boards people indicate that the bodies are largely the same meaning that a good deal on a stylus could bring up the 5e body to the level of nicer cartridges. I also see that the cartridge would need to be in the super category in places as well and that the 5e may or may not meet this level. What do people think? Also how difficult is it for a novice to change the stylus down the road as an upgrade path.

Paul