Opinions: new (used) amp for ST's

joegator81

Re: Opinions: new (used) amp for ST's
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2014, 01:25 pm »
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I decided to go with Emerald Physics 100.2SE. The customer reviews are positive and I was able to get a good price on an amp used for demo. The AVA amps though very nice are just a little more than I wanted to spend right now. Obviously, a purchase like this is never a guaranteed slam dunk but I'm excited to get this amp in my system and hear what it can do. I know that more expensive is not always better but considering that the EP is replacing an NAD from the early 90's (I think) and the reviews paint the picture of a smooth, neutral to slightly warm sounding amp, I expect there to be a considerable improvement.

I'll be sure to give my impressions after I give it up and running.

hogzilla

« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:25 pm »
Looks cool. Not at all familiar with that amp. Would like to see your thoughts once it's up and running. Enjoy!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2014, 05:20 pm »
That amp is getting some good press, so let's see.... :thumb:

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2014, 04:26 pm »
Hmmmm, I saw an add for this I believe ,(2) mono amps for $1500 ?

This is a class D with a analog power supply ?
in mono 250 w/ch

Hmmmmm

joegator81

« Reply #24 on: 24 Oct 2014, 07:43 pm »
Hmmmm, I saw an add for this I believe ,(2) mono amps for $1500 ?

This is a class D with a analog power supply ?
in mono 250 w/ch

Hmmmmm

The $1500 mono amp deal is for a pair of standard 100.2 amps. I asked Walter directly whether a single SE or a pair of standard mono's would sound better and he was adamant that unless you need the power that the SE version is the way to go, it has upgraded parts etc. A new SE is listed on Audiogon for under $1400 but I would contact Walter at Underwoodhifi if you have any questions.

joegator81

« Reply #25 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
The amp was delivered yesterday and waiting for me when I came home from work this morning. It is a real beauty, the faceplate is nicely textured and the etching is nicely done. It is also heavy for the size as it is much smaller than my NAD. It gives you the impression of real substance. It just feels like quality stuff. I listened to my NAD first sans subwoofer so that I could get a clear understanding of the differences between each of the amps. Let me start off by saying, the Emerald Physics 100.2SE is an improvement in EVERY way over the NAD. Many might say, "obviously", but I try to remain steady and not get too hopeful with these types of things. However, it became immediately clear that the low end had filled out. Percussion and drums, bass guitar, even acoustic guitar had more body, more presence, more warmth, more punch. I really got a kick out of "Psycho Killer" off of the Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" record. Alice in Chains "Unplugged" was another record that has always sounded good but just sounded bigger. The EP also smoothed out those rough edges that came through on the NAD c270. Listening to Roger Water's "Perfect Sense" from "Amused to Death" through the Halide DAC was more relaxed at higher volumes than I have ever heard before. Its a dynamic recording that just begs to be turned up to 11 but through the NAD the trebles would always become hard and exhausting. Through the EP the trebles were still very present just much more natural sounding and not etched or piercing. There was still plenty of detail however, I was hearing subtle little sound effects that I hadn't heard or noticed before. Also, the piano in that song though not very powerful sounding (I don't think it was recorded to be) had more body and warmth to it than before. This was my experience with all of the high quality digital downloads that I listened to. The EP isn't a miracle worker however. I was disappointed when I first listened to the Ray Charles Genius Loves Company on vinyl. It was so good on CD and hi rez that I thought that it would be a slam dunk for sure and 2/3 of the equation gets an A+. The trebles and midrange are smooth and natural. The low end, however, is a little boomy, muddy, and just plain lacks definition. Even though the song towers are now reaching lower and with more definition than they ever have before "Fever" w/ Natalie Cole still sounded muddy and vague on the low end though with the bass lines being ever so slightly easier to follow. Again, I believe this to be the records fault.

Here is the only bad news, while trying to rearrange some wires, the already loose power connection to my Clearaudio Concept snapped off  :?. I am now without a turntable until I can get it repaired which is very depressing. I was really looking forward to rediscovering some records. I will just have to stick to my hard drives and Halide DC for the time being. Perhaps Clearaudio has upgraded the chincy power connection and get it up and running again. I am still waiting to hear back from Musical Surroundings.

Back to the EP 100.2SE. I am fairly certain that I can be content w/o a subwoofer in my system. The Bass that I have always known the Salks to be capable of is there and it is real and of high quality.... maybe not SS8 quality but what I haven't heard won't kill me right?  :icon_lol: I am thoroughly convinced that an upgrade from my Parasound 2100 and possibly even my Phonemena II phono pre may now be in order  :duh: My wife is going to divorce me  :icon_lol:

Conclusion? The EP 100.2SE is a great match for the songtowers!

sfox7076

« Reply #26 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:15 pm »
No reason to upgrade the Phonemena unless it is to add the battery.  I think the issue for you would be the Parasound...  I still advocate the Tortuga, even though it does not have a HT bypass button.

joegator81

« Reply #27 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:25 pm »
No reason to upgrade the Phonemena unless it is to add the battery.  I think the issue for you would be the Parasound...  I still advocate the Tortuga, even though it does not have a HT bypass button.

I would upgrade for the battery powered nova phenomena since I really like the sound of the phenomena II. Was thinking about the wyred4sound mPre for a line pre. might need to look into the Tortuga a little deeper.

joegator81

« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2014, 11:24 pm »
well, I've made a couple of major changes that have really taken the Songtowers to what I can only believe to be the pinnacle of what they are capable of delivering. I've always knew that the ST's were capable of delivering real potent bass but with the NAD everything was just flat, I always felt I needed a sub to add depth and punch. The EP 100.2SE was really a step up, the bass took on real definition and punch, though I still longed for a subwoofer on some occasions. Well, I decided to ditch the parasound 2100 and bought a Belles 22a on audiogon for an excellent price. Well, the Belles took everything the EP 100.2SE did and put it into overdrive. I have to admit that I was cautious about what I would hear with these component changes but I couldn't be more pleased. There was nothing  subtle about what improvements i'm hearing.

I've just changed the stock 12au7 tubes for some NOS RCA Command 5814's that I got for around $38 bucks. This was my first ever tube roll and yes I was very nervous, however it went off without a hitch. Obviously, I may need to give these tubes some time to get into the groove but with just some casual listening i'd say they are slightly more detailed and slightly smoother than the stock tubes. I'll have to report back later with any changes. I'm also going to try some after market power cords.

Needless to say, the EP 100.2SE and the Belles 22a are a great match for the ST's. I can't recommend them enough with this speaker.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2014, 01:49 am »
Belles gear is pretty good.  Had some of his amps but never a preamp.  Does it have remote volume control as well?

joegator81

« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2014, 03:51 pm »
Belles gear is pretty good.  Had some of his amps but never a preamp.  Does it have remote volume control as well?

It does have a remote. It controls every function on the amp. Very small but effective.

I took a bit of a chance on the 22a. I couldn't find any professional reviews of the 22a. I was able to find one of its predecessor the 21a but the 22a was a major redesign from what I was able to gather from the forums and was actually redesigned to meet a lower price point than the 21a. From what I read in some forums the 21a w/ aurocap upgrade mod was better than the 22a (but at $1000 more it should be). That didn't concern me as I was making the jump from the 2100 which should be fairly significant regardless and a used 21a w/ aurocap would be more than I wanted to spend anyway. Also, the 22a has HT bypass and a second out for a subwoofer should I choose to use one in the future... I doubt I would need to as I am very happy with the bass response i'm getting from the 22a, 100.2se, and ST's. I can only imagine what a full range speaker might sound like.

As I listen now, it is plain that the mids, highs, and bass seem to be in proportion. Instruments have more body, and seem more real and dimensional, not like a flat cutout. I guess its like lifting a wet blanket off of the music. I never realized there was this "grayness" hanging over the music but now it was plainly obvious that there was some life and color that was being choked out. In the same vein, there was a dryness that just wasn't lifelike that is now gone. All of this become noticeable with the EP amp but even more so with the Belles added in.

I guess if I had to knock anything about what i'm hearing, i'd have to say that the soundstage isn't as layered or deep as could be with some more expensive setups. However, that isn't a deal buster for me as I've never had a setup that was great at that and as long as its musical, dynamic, and detailed i'm pretty happy. I will also say that the Belles with stock tubes and the RCA Commands (as of now) are probably not a super tubey combination (I've really only heard tubes once before so my experience is limited). Its also a hybrid design and that may have something to do with it. I'm going to try some mullards and see what happens. Please don't take this as a knock. It is very smooth and musical but just not what I imagine a "glowing tubey" system would sound like.

I had been considering a Wyred4Sound mPre and a Belles Soloist if I could find one used but the 22A came along and i'm very happy it did.

billmcc

« Reply #31 on: 2 Dec 2014, 12:06 am »
This might not be the popular opinion, but I might replace your preamp first.

Im my experiance, the difference between preamps is much bigger than amps, as long as the speakers are being  powered sufficiently.

With 1-2k, you might be able to get yourself a pretty solid tube preamplifier, and potentially improve your sound greatly.

Hard treble, and congestion sound  like more of a preamp issue.

Not to say your Parasound Classic 2100 is a bad preamplifier, but you can certainly do better with 1-2k on the used market.

A used Manley Shrimp, or something like it, might blow your  mind.

What's the "mind blowing" differences between the 2100 and the Manley Shrimp?

Bill

kingdeezie

« Reply #32 on: 2 Dec 2014, 12:30 am »
What's the "mind blowing" differences between the 2100 and the Manley Shrimp?

Bill

In a well setup system with ample power for the speakers?

Better dynamics. Wider and deeper soundstage. More tonality and texture. More natural reproduction and extension of the upper frequencies. Less overall grain. The ability to tailor the sound with the proper selection and application of different tubes. Overall, more musical.

The Parasound 2100 is a very decent preamplifier, with a huge feature set, at a very reasonable price.

I do not think it competes with the Manley Jumbo Shrimp, or any similar preamp, SS or Tube, within the Manley's price range in terms of overall SQ. I wouldn't expect it to either, the Manley retails for 6 times the price of the 2100.

I offered advice to the OP when tasked with trying to improve his SQ, within his system, with the budget he had set aside.

I wasn't trying to put down the Parasound, but it can be bettered with 2K applied towards a used preamplifier.   

joegator81

« Reply #33 on: 2 Dec 2014, 12:23 pm »
In a well setup system with ample power for the speakers?

Better dynamics. Wider and deeper soundstage. More tonality and texture. More natural reproduction and extension of the upper frequencies. Less overall grain. The ability to tailor the sound with the proper selection and application of different tubes. Overall, more musical.

The Parasound 2100 is a very decent preamplifier, with a huge feature set, at a very reasonable price.

I do not think it competes with the Manley Jumbo Shrimp, or any similar preamp, SS or Tube, within the Manley's price range in terms of overall SQ. I wouldn't expect it to either, the Manley retails for 6 times the price of the 2100.

I offered advice to the OP when tasked with trying to improve his SQ, within his system, with the budget he had set aside.

I wasn't trying to put down the Parasound, but it can be bettered with 2K applied towards a used preamplifier.

Though when i started down this path of upgrades i was somewhat skeptical that any of the improvements i heard wouldnt just be in my head. But, like you said they are fairly obvious and i spent about $1800 or so for both the EP and the Belles. I would have to echo all of the things you noticed with the shrimp except maybe soundstage depth. It might just be that i'm not very sensative to it but that is one are that had maybe just a slight improvement.

That being said, the Belles 22a is $2500 brand new, the 2100 is $700. The Belles doesnt have anywhere near the features of the 2100. I used the 2100 for a few years and loved every second of it. I wouldnt hesitate recommending one to anybody, the improvement over my AVR is one i wouldnt want to live without.
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2014, 03:38 pm by joegator81 »