Omega Alnico Monitor & Blumenstein Mola Alnico

stoneray

Omega Alnico Monitor & Blumenstein Mola Alnico
« on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:00 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering about the Omega  Alnico monitor , at the same time I'm also curious about Blumenstein Mola Alnico(fostex f120a).Its there any any Omega Alnico monitor have experience with the Blumenstein Mola Alnico ? or maybe folks can give some advice about the speaker!

I usually listen classic piano ,strings , jazz piano and vocal .use tube amp and turntable. thanks ! :)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Omega Alnico Monitor & Blumenstein Mola Alnico
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2014, 04:01 am »
Hello stoneray,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.

Louis at Omega used to use the Fostex F120A some years back in his speakers, but is now using his own drivers in all his speakers.  Just looking at the specs of the two speakers (Mola and Alnico Monitor), I personally don't think there is even a comparison.  The Alnico Monitor should be priced at around $4000 a pair.

The one who can give you an answer as far as personal experience with both drivers is Louis.  If he doesn't come on here, maybe contact him directly.

What are you using for an amp?

stoneray

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2014, 04:38 am »
Thanks CR super fast reply,and give me such good advice ! My amp is Trk-3488. Really thanks CR. :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2014, 05:48 am »
With an amp of only around 6 watts output, the extra 3db efficiency along with the larger driver of the Alnico monitor will make a noticable difference in dynamics and ultimate SPLs over the Mola.  Your amp will also have an easier time and not run out of steam as quickly.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm »
Don't ever recall an Omega using the Fostex F120A, but in the beginning of Omega Louis only used Fostex drivers.  I believe the smaller one he used was the ferrite FE127E (now discontinued):

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/fe127erev2.pdf

My main speakers use the F200A (the more efficient/more bass big brother of the F120A).  The F200A works well with solid state or tubes (as long as they don't have flabby bass).  Did surprisingly well with a 6 wpc tube integrated or 7 wpc class T, but no power issues with my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium integrated (40 wpc ultra-linear/20 wpc triode), 40 wpc chip amp, or 100 watt Hypex.  I looked at the F120A, but F3 = 65 Hz and 89 dB/w/m with peak power of 30 watts made it best suited for desktop applications, maybe small rooms depending on how loud your listen.  The F200A has been described as one of very best extended range drivers in the world with a very smooth, detailed, full bodied sound.  Depending on your application either would be a wonderful match for your listed genres.

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2014, 04:43 pm »
Hi stoneray,

Many thanks for your interest in Omega and welcome to the forum. Looks like Canada Rob beat me to the punch and he described the Alnico monitor extremely well. He has a pair himself.

I take a lot of pride in my products and hand build them all in house and install OEM Omega Drivers in each and every speaker I make.

I haven't heard the Blumenstein speaker although I am very familiar with the Fostex F120A driver to the point that I have built pretty much the same speaker about 9 years ago. It was a 17 liter standmount original Super 3 which was a wide baffle design and I mounted the driver on the narrow side instead of the wide side. Under testing and evaluation that particular driver liked a bit of depth behind them. This was front ported design.

I moved on however and my new offerings are on another level all together.

The New Alnico monitor is almost twice the size and much more linear in bass and top end extension. They are extraordinary in speed and tone as well as detail retrieval at low volume. They are 93 dB and easier to drive. The latest version also is a bit wider than the previous models and I inset the drivers flush on the current model. As always you may choose from any of the finishes at no additional cost and grills are included.

Picture of the old F120A Super 3 on Skylan Stands

Earthshaking music was a dealer in Atlanta I used to work with a while back.

Thanks again,
Louis

stoneray

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2014, 03:09 am »
Thanks JLM & Louis reply, it's really such tremendous experience ,and it touches me greatly.
I will  think it over .
Thank you for all your assistance. :thumb: :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2014, 03:40 am »
stoneray, I haven't heard a Fostex based speaker that's even close to the new Omegas. While I've heard some really nice Fostex based speakers the Omegas are going to offer a much flatter frequency response. The best Fostex implementations I've heard are the 8"models with tweeters added up high, and they were much more expensive than Omega speakers... and not necessarily better either.