Fuses

jimbones

Fuses
« on: 26 Oct 2014, 02:32 pm »
OK, So I have myself a previously owned KWA 100SE. Wonderful amp. I was noticing that the fuses are internal. Now I am ok the unit is fine, but Dan are you saying that if I blow a 59 cent fuse i have to ship this nearly 50 lb piece of equipment across the country for you to replace it? I don't get it, how much does this cost? I understand to some point that you may not want owners futzing with some fancy aftermarket fuse if they don't know what they are doing but I am missing the point.

Phil A

Re: Fuses
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2014, 02:52 pm »
I have a KWA 150SE and a LS36.5DM preamp.  Never touched the fuses on the amp but did put Synergy HiFi fuses in the preamp.  Many, if not most, amps (and I've owned a bunch and whatever I've owned has had those instructions) have internal fuses that indicate to contact the factory in the event of failure.

jimbones

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2014, 09:30 pm »
I realize that if a fuse blows, there is/may be something going on inside the unit. It's just that most amps I've owned put a line fuse on the rear panel and the rail fuses on the PS are on the inside. I did have one occasion with an old piece of equipment years ago where I blew a fuse and replaced it with no problem. I would hate to have to ship it and incur all that cost. 

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2014, 09:49 pm »
If something goes wrong, just contact Dan. I think contacting the manufacturer first or a tech is always best, as you risk causing more damage to the gear even if it seems like simply replacing the fuse will fix the problem. Dan may even recommend that you just take it to a good local tech to diagnose, before sending it to him.

kngale1

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2014, 10:52 pm »
My guess is the internal fuse should never blow if working properly.  If blew, it needs to be returned for service issues.   This is common on most amps.  ie Atma-Sphere.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2014, 12:36 am »
+1 Fuses blow if there's a fault, which could be caused from a number of things. If you don't know exactly what happened, nor know how to properly test things to find the problem as well as fix it, you should never just replace the fuse and turn the amp back on. You risk further damage to it. This is just part of ownership of any piece of equipment. If you live in the US, you're much better off than those who'd have to ship their amp from another country for repair.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 03:09 am by RDavidson »

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:15 am »
you should never just replace the fuse and turn the amp back on. You risk further damage to it.

Not the case with fast blow fuse,the fuse is there to protect,if fuse blows again (same rating) it protects again no matter how many times it blows,i guess same thing applies with slow blow fuse (or any fuse for that matter) i just dont know(havent tested),perhaps another ac member may know about slow blow better

my $,02...

kngale1

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:30 am »
Not the case with fast blow fuse,the fuse is there to protect,if fuse blows again (same rating) it protects again no matter how many times it blows,i guess same thing applies with slow blow fuse (or any fuse for that matter) i just dont know(havent tested),perhaps another ac member may know about slow blow better

my $,02...
We are talking about INTERNAL fuses.   Nothing to do with slo or fast blo.  There are reasons they are INTERNAL.  On some amps, ie Atma-Sphere, there are both INTERNAL and external fuses.   External fuses are expected to blow in some circumstance and is fine replacing them.   But if INTERNAL blows, you have to return for service.

jimbones

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2014, 04:38 pm »
Hmmm, so  maybe my question is the wrong question  :scratch:

Ok so most amps have 2 internal rail fuses and I agree that if either of them blow there is a problem that most owners would not be able to remedy themselves. However there is usually an AC line fuse as well. So maybe Dan does away with the AC line fuse? Again, On another piecce of equipment I did have an AC line fuse blow one time and I replaced it and the unity worked fine for many years. I don't remember what coused it to blow but it was easy to replace sine it was a rear panel mount.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2014, 06:00 pm »
My KWA150SE Owner's Manual indicates the following:  "• Fuses:
o All fuses are internal and are only to be replaced at the factory or by factory
authorized technician. There are no user serviceable parts inside and opening the
unit will void the factory warranty. If unit protection triggers and amp will not restart,
please contact factory."