Alpha configuration questions

Mike-48

Alpha configuration questions
« on: 22 May 2017, 07:50 am »
I recently replaced the hardwood flooring and area rugs in my basement audio room with wall-to-wall carpet. Now the sound seems a bit too dead. Also, having quite heavy construction and a low ceiling, the room tends to be hard to control in the bass, even with soffit traps in the front corners and similar traps in the rear.

I am thinking of replacing some of the 2" thick acoustic panels (with reflection strips) on the sidewalls with 1D Alphas. The goal would be more life to the acoustics, and possibly better bass control. Will this help, do you think? And if the main bass problems are below 60 Hz, will Alphas of any thickness help?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: Alpha configuration questions
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 12:18 pm »
The Corner Alpha will work below 60hz and the 6A and 4A will also work when straddling a corner

As far as replacing the side wall panels. That is fine, but keep in mind that generally we want to absorb as much as possible on the early reflection points. If you do replace the panels I would use either the 4A or better yet 6A, 1D or 2D is fine.

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
Re: Alpha configuration questions
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2017, 04:49 pm »
Agreed with Glenn, just to add you can find more detail on the differences between 1D and 2D diffusion here:
http://www.gikacoustics.com/diffusion-dimension-download-1d-2d-scattering/