How to burn Hi-Res downloads

scb

Re: How to burn Hi-Res downloads
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2012, 07:33 pm »
I've looked everywhere for a DVD audio creator for the Mac, and have come up pretty empty. 

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14246/xact

"Util" tab

drop flac files in the file list(wavs with nonstandard headers are finicky.  use flacs instead).  then create the dvd-audio .iso image

burn in toast or disk utility

rbbert

« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2012, 07:55 pm »
You didn't look too hard, since this was #1 on my Google search for "Mac DVD audio"

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/DVD-Audiofile.shtml

scb

« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2012, 01:11 pm »
You didn't look too hard, since this was #1 on my Google search for "Mac DVD audio"

i moved the dvd-audiofile functionality into xACT at some point last year to not require a separate app.  If you want multiple groups, though, dvd-audiofile still offers that feature while xACT doesn't.  I didn't think people really cared about multiple groups, so didn't move it over to xACT

Emil

« Reply #23 on: 5 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm »
Hey guys....novice here :oops:

DVD recordables are either DVD "plus" or DVD "minus. Which do I chose?

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2012, 01:55 pm by ted_b »

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 5 Sep 2012, 01:56 pm »
Hey guys....novice here :oops:

DVD recordables are either DVD "plus" or DVD "minus. Which do I chose?

Either should work; DVD-R's usually do not need to be formatted, DVD+R's sometimes do.  I use DVD+R (Verbatim brand).

dnd

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2016, 01:54 am »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am trying to burn true DVD-Audio discs on my mac.  I do not mean DVD-V discs with audio only.  I mean the DVD-Audio discs that play on said equipped players. 

I did this before successfully with Discwelder Bronze, but now that software is no longer supported so I cannot get it to open.

I tried Burn mentioned above, and I was successful to a point and then it started to simply close the session as soon as it started.  I have tossed at least a dozen discs trying different things with it.  I am importing WAV files downloaded from HDTracks.

Cirlinca looks to do DVD-V and not DVD-Audio anymore but I downloaded it anyway just to see.  It looks to do DVD-A in Windows (which is running on my mac using Fusion) but it won't actually write to the disc.

When I download DVD-Audiophile and try to open it, it give me a message that the app is damage and needs to be move to the trash.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Please help - HDTracks help line isn't getting me very far which is disappointing.

Lastly - Can I just get a cheap PC, install a burner drive and dedicate it to burning discs?  What would the machine need by way of hardware?  Would a PC with a $50 Blu-ray/DVD burner, 4 gig RAM, and couple hundred gig HDD do the trick?
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2016, 03:28 am by dnd »

scb

« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:32 pm »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am trying to burn true DVD-Audio discs on my mac.  I do not mean DVD-V discs with audio only.  I mean the DVD-Audio discs that play on said equipped players. 

I did this before successfully with Discwelder Bronze, but now that software is no longer supported so I cannot get it to open.

I tried Burn mentioned above, and I was successful to a point and then it started to simply close the session as soon as it started.  I have tossed at least a dozen discs trying different things with it.  I am importing WAV files downloaded from HDTracks.

Cirlinca looks to do DVD-V and not DVD-Audio anymore but I downloaded it anyway just to see.  It looks to do DVD-A in Windows (which is running on my mac using Fusion) but it won't actually write to the disc.

When I download DVD-Audiophile and try to open it, it give me a message that the app is damage and needs to be move to the trash.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Please help - HDTracks help line isn't getting me very far which is disappointing.

Lastly - Can I just get a cheap PC, install a burner drive and dedicate it to burning discs?  What would the machine need by way of hardware?  Would a PC with a $50 Blu-ray/DVD burner, 4 gig RAM, and couple hundred gig HDD do the trick?

you can try feeding flac files to xACT's "utility" tab for dvda creation

dnd

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:14 am »
Isn't xACT just for file format changes?  I am talking about burning a DVD-A disc.  I don't need help with format changes, just burning a hi Rez disc.

scb

« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:33 am »
Isn't xACT just for file format changes?  I am talking about burning a DVD-A disc.  I don't need help with format changes, just burning a hi Rez disc.

The utility tab has a function to create dvda .iso images. It likes flac files better than anything else (underlying tool is temperamental)

dnd

« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2016, 01:57 am »
OK, thanks - I'll give it a shot.

dnd

« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:08 am »
I put the flac files in the utility tab, selected DVD-Audio and execute, but nothing happens.

It asks for an output folder, and I tried a few things there, including selection the disk.

What am I missing?

scb

« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:52 pm »
I put the flac files in the utility tab, selected DVD-Audio and execute, but nothing happens.

It asks for an output folder, and I tried a few things there, including selection the disk.

What am I missing?

so it didn't create an .iso image in the output folder you selected?

it uses some command line tools (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-audio/) that never quite worked correctly for all files, and when it worked, it had most success with flac files.

dnd

« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:30 pm »
I tried both flac and wav, and when I hit execute, there was a flash of something, like a window that opened and immediately closed and then nothing.  Just Crickets.

I guess I will resort to trying to burn them to a Blu Ray disc.  Would there be any downside? 

I don't even know if hi rez audio burning to Blurry is possible, but at least there looks to be some information on it where with DVD-Audio everyone responds thinking DVD-V.

thank you for trying scb

dnd

« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2016, 02:31 am »
I tried this again with xACT since I didn't realize I was talking to the developer. 

I used two different MACs, and had the same unsuccessful result so perhaps there is operator error at play here. (I hope)

MAC 1 = MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) - 10.10.5 - using external superdrive
MAC 2 = Mac Mini Late 2009 - OS X 10.8.5 - using internal drive

Here are some screen shots:

Selecting the FLAC files

Choosing the folder

After hitting Execute

Any thoughts?

scb

« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:27 pm »
The command line tool xACT and DVD-Audiofile use has never worked the way it was supposed to, and newer versions work even less than older ones. Unfortunately, development on that project has basically died

What version of DVD-Audiofile did you have? I can resurrect that one and make it work under the current OS to see if that works

scb

« Reply #35 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:28 pm »
dupe post. sorry

rbbert

« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2016, 11:23 pm »
The most recent version of DVD-Audiofile I could find also required a long outdated version of Java.

dnd

« Reply #37 on: 20 Feb 2016, 03:38 am »
The version of DVD-Audiophile that I downloaded looks to be 3.3.

So far, I have not found a single way of burning a hi resolution music file regardless of media, file type, or software.  This is all on Mac.

My attempts to contact Minnetonka have been fruitless even though I have my receipt and all the reference numbers for Discwelder Bronze that I purchased.

Should I just go but a $200 quad core windows machine just for burning these discs?  Use Circlina or something?

I'd like to play pack DVD-Audio or Blu-ray audio on my normal hifi player which is oppo based.  That is all I want...

rbbert

« Reply #38 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:05 am »

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

You will need to set your preferences to allow apps from anywhere, then DVD-Audiofile will run

You will need a DVD-burning app which will burn an .iso to DVD

my iMac is 3.4G i5 processor running 10.11.3

dnd

« Reply #39 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:04 pm »
rrbert,

Thanks for the advice.  I installed the backdated Java and then downloaded DVD-Audiofile.  When I tried to open DVD-Audiofile I got this message:

Sorry for the convoluted screen shot, but I did this on a different machine.