looking to upgrade to the VR4-SR then I saw these on eBay

runnerlk

Yes, I have a nice pair of VR4-JR and they have served me well since 2006. I have always wanted a pair of VR4-SR hoping for more detail in the highs and mids and better bass response.
I saw these on eBay and they are close enough that I could audition prior to purchase and the VR-44s were always out of reach financially.

Any input would be appreciated and here's the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Von-Schweikert-VR-44-Passive-Loudspeakers-in-Natural-Cherry-VR-4-5-Cabinets-/232127881244?hash=item360be6601c:g:rx8AAOSwMjNTzRGt

jonbee

Re: looking to upgrade to the VR4-SR then I saw these on eBay
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2016, 09:52 pm »
I'd certainly give them an ear if they are in your price range. If Albert says they work as well as the VR-44, I'd tend to believe it. I doubt you'll do better, new or used, if they match your room and tastes.

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2016, 10:25 pm »
The ad is a bit vague on the upgrade process and largely just presents stock VR44 text from the VSA site -- if you've not already done so, I'd ask Leif or Albert to confirm the details. I can see why these might appeal for sure, especially if you can hear them first.  Since the seller considers trade-ins, I presume it's some kind of dealer but the other listings on ebay are a mix of things. I hate to be cynical but it IS ebay.....Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2016, 02:05 pm by Delacroix »

runnerlk

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2016, 12:21 am »
Thanks for the input. I think I'll contact Albert and get his opinion.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:33 am »
Considering the price, why not look into a new pair of the fabulous Endeavor E3's?

happyrabbit

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:05 am »
I currently own a pair of E3's  I found my pair used.  JAB makes a good point.   

runnerlk

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2016, 10:57 am »
I've been looking at the E3, but since I'm not familiar with the sound/sound differences as compared to the VR4-JR I'm reluctant to buy. I know with the VR4-SR exactly sonically.
The E3 is nice and if I get a chance to audition, I may go that route.

gammajo

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2016, 03:04 am »
When you talk to VSA, see what they may know of at roughly that price. I think if patient you might find the VR4SR that you know you like - witness pair just sold two thread below for $6,500. I had the original VR4SR, then upgraded it to MK2, then VR5Anniversary using the same cabinet. I loved the VR4 SR and the cabinet is very workable for upgrade. I heard the 4JR and would confirm that the SR will be an upgrade. Leif should also be able to give a knowledgable comparison of the E3 with the VR4 SR sound.

runnerlk

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2016, 01:53 pm »
The more I think about it the VR4SR is what I will wait for. While the E3 is nice I'm not sure it will give me the performance upgrade that the VR4Srs would

Stercom

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2016, 02:00 pm »
The more I think about it the VR4SR is what I will wait for. While the E3 is nice I'm not sure it will give me the performance upgrade that the VR4Srs would
Good call.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2016, 03:41 pm »
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've heard VR-4SRs.  If I remember correctly, the E-3MkII will out perform the VR-4SR MkI's. They are way more forgiving and less picky to electronics.  The VR-4SRMKII is a different story.   But if you own SR's, that speaker can be upgraded all the way to a VR-5 Anniversary.  Many people find the old VR-4 Gen 1's (cloth wrapped) and have us do the VR-44 upgrade.  So you have a couple ways to go about it.

You can always call me and I can walk you through our upgrade options.

Leif
951-682-0706

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2016, 05:34 pm »
I owned the VR4 Sr's and I think they were the MKIIs.  They were a huge cut above the Jr's as I recall (my good friend has a pr of the VR4 Jrs so am familiar with then).  I did upgrade to the Anniversaries...MK1.5...(only difference between the MKIIs is that mine have the Analysis Plus internal wiring).  The annies are going on 8 years old now and continue to amaze everyone that hears them (fill in all the journalistic descriptors...liquid, organic...the angels weep, etc...ad nauseum  8))