IsoTek System CD Enhancer

djbnh

IsoTek System CD Enhancer
« on: 18 Nov 2007, 12:33 pm »
Purchased one of these after reading Srajan Ebaen's review on 6moons.

I've used the CD, with volumes set at normal listening levels, for burn-in purposes on my:

1) dedicated home system, including burning in three pairs of ICs - all ICs were the same make, simply different in lengths. Took about 1.5 days for seemingly full burn-in for each time I burned in the ICs (did two pairs at once, then the third pair a week later). Even though I let the CD subsequently run in for another full day each time, I could discern no difference. [I also feel that there was an overall improvement to the entire system, which I understand is challenging to quantify in light of changing over of the ICs.] I used track 2 repeatedly, as my system has floorstanding speakers.

2) vintage stereo system: Let the CD run for about 2 days on my Fisher 800B receiver, KLH speakers, and older Sony CD. Results were a much more impactful, natural sounding system, imaging was improved as was bass-to-treble extension. Hard to believe it was the same system. I used track 1 here, as the KLH's are not floorstanding speakers.

3) Mistubishi TV with 2.1 system including NAD2200PE amp, NAD1240 preamp, Toshiba DVD, and Cambridge Soundworks speakers/sub. Let the CD run for two full days. I was highly surprised at the positive difference in the system, whether it was the sound simply running out of the TV, or with the 2.1 system in play. I note I used track 2 here, hoping to fully exercise the subwoofer.

4) headphone system including Sony D-33 portable, Xin SuperMacro-!V amp, and the following headphones: Senn HD-650 w/Stefan AudioArt Equinox cable, AKG701, and Grado 325i. Each set of phones got between 2 to 2.5 days of burn-in using the Sony/Xin combination (thus, the Sony / Xin combo got substantially more of a workout). I'll simply comment on some of the improvements to the Senns, which are the cans that get day to day use at work: a deeper more natural extension, improved attack/decay, better imaging/positioning, more air around voices/instruments. I used track 2 on the headphones - even though this track is recommended for floorstanding speakers, I really wanted to get the transducers exercised, esp. those of the AKG headphones.

The IsoTek disc instructions also suggests using track three as a system warm-up. I find that this suggestion works admirably well once everything is burned in using either track 1 or 2. For day to day listening, I first play track three, then get on to the music.

For me, this tweak has been a timesaver and works exactly as advertised. YMMV.

saisunil

Re: IsoTek System CD Enhancer
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2007, 01:05 pm »
I bought this disk (as if I needed another burn-in disk). After a couple of days of playing the track 2 of the burn-in disk (while we were away for the weekend) - when I returned the system sounded cleaner, lower noise floor. The system  in general sounded better - the effect was similar to a power cord upgrade.

Highly recommend. It is not only a time saver but does something to eliminate EMI build up in the system.

Cheers
Sunil.

martinr

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2007, 03:33 pm »
I bought this disk at RMAF after reading the six moons review and used it first to see what effect it would have on my Odyssey stratos/candela/Lorelei system.  I've owned the system for over a year now and I assume its pretty well broken in.   I did have a new cryoed umbilical running between my CI audio DAC and power supply after two days of playing the disc through all tracks repeatedly the Lorelei speakers seemed to open up especially in the lower frequencies and overall deeper soundstage that seemed to move further to the rear - it seems like the disc had an impact on the entire system.  I then upgraded my CI VDA 1 DAC to a VDA 2 and ran the disc for 24 hours all three tracks repeatedly.  The disc definitely improves the system sound and does seem to help with cable/component burn in -  seems like a good value for the money.

- Martin

jaspal kallar

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2007, 06:53 pm »
I was wondering how long is needed on track 2 to burn in a new dac that is estimated to need about 300 - 400 hrs burn in time?

I've already played the whole disc a couple of times.

Thanks

jaspal

some young guy

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:27 pm »
I was wondering how long is needed on track 2 to burn in a new dac that is estimated to need about 300 - 400 hrs burn in time?

Thanks

jaspal

while i can't answer your question exactly, (and i don't think anyone else can either) i've been using it for over 100 hours to burn in a new player and it just keeps getting better. i use the whole disc repeatedly, not just track 2. i don't think you can over-do it.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:39 pm »
Well from what i've read here (from my New England neighbor especially), I bit and ordered one from Galen Carol. Seeing how I use a HTPC for a CD/DVD/DVR player, I'll be downlaodingthe discs, the  turning around and selling them @ discount. So for anyone interested, keep an eye out in the Accessories Circle and here also for my opinion on my first system enhancer discs,,,, my first try with 1 of the many CD's tweaks out there.  :roll:  :D

Cheers,
Robin

miklorsmith

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:43 pm »
If you sell the disc I think you're supposed to delete the file, unless the material isn't copyrighted.

jaspal kallar

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:50 pm »

Thanks

jaspal

while i can't answer your question exactly, (and i don't think anyone else can either) i've been using it for over 100 hours to burn in a new player and it just keeps getting better. i use the whole disc repeatedly, not just track 2. i don't think you can over-do it.

Thanks "some young guy" that's actually a great help. My thinking is to have to on repeat for around 1 week i.e ~ 1/3 of the normal burn in time

jaspal.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:53 pm »
If you sell the disc I think you're supposed to delete the file, unless the material isn't copyrighted.

I'll keep that in mind once I receive the CD. Thanks for bringing that up!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

saisunil

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2007, 10:06 pm »
I have been using this disk to burn-in my headphones. I consider this disk akin to burning calories while running as opposed to walking (listening to regular music). It is a work out for the system and saves burn-in time by an order of magnitude - that could mean hundreds of hours. Which in turn means saved energy aa  and helping the component reach its potential (sound) faster.

Good product.

Cheers
Sunil.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2007, 11:40 pm »
Well I finally got my Isotek CD from Galen Carol, played Track 2 once and A/B "The Doctor" by Fattburger off their album The Best Of Fattburger.  :o :o :o I'm hear to tell ya that everything that has been said above is straight up true!. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed. The song starts out with this little faint cymbal and it continues thruout the song at a higher level. Well after playing Track 2 at the same level as the song(moderately loud), I replayed the song and it seemed like the volume level jumped up 2-3db. After hearing this volume change, I kicked myself for not doing a sound level check. I truely never expected a volume increase. As the song started, the cymbals were no longer faint. The cymbal was now very distinct and clear,,,,, ohh so very clear.8) The bass from my Force XL was definitely tighter also. Seeing how I'm still audtioning Lonewolf's Black Sands Silver Reference power cords, I have no problems comparing the difference in sound quality to that of a power cord change,,,, if it's as good a power cord as Black Sands makes.  :thumb:

I highly recommend the Isotek Full System Enhancer & Rejuvenation CD. All these impressions came after 1 spin of Track 2. Saturday while I'm at Phil Lam's RAVE,,,, guess what will be repeating itself on my HTPC????  :o Awwwe come on,,,, think about it.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

djbnh

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2007, 11:45 pm »
Well I finally got my Isotek CD from Galen Carol, played Track 2 once and A/B "The Doctor" by Fattburger off their album The Best Of Fattburger.  :o :o :o I'm hear to tell ya that everything that has been said above is straight up true!. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed. The song starts out with this little faint cymbal and it continues thruout the song at a higher level. Well after playing Track 2 at the same level as the song(moderately loud), I replayed the song and it seemed like the volume level jumped up 2-3db. After hearing this volume change, I kicked myself for not doing a sound level check. I truely never expected a volume increase. As the song started, the cymbals were no longer faint. The cymbal was now very distinct and clear,,,,, ohh so very clear.8) The bass from my Force XL was definitely tighter also. Seeing how I'm still audtioning Lonewolf's Black Sands Silver Reference power cords, I have no problems comparing the difference in sound quality to that of a power cord change,,,, if it's as good a power cord as Black Sands makes.  :thumb:

I highly recommend the Isotek Full System Enhancer & Rejuvenation CD. All these impressions came after 1 spin of Track 2. Saturday while I'm at Phil Lam's RAVE,,,, guess what will be repeating itself on my HTPC????  :o Awwwe come on,,,, think about it.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin
Burn, baby burn. But burn smart! Glad to hear it's working out for you. Try running track 2 a bunch for those Loreleis and other components. Then once everything is good-to-go, use track 3 (a 5 minute track) prior to using your system for the day's / night's listening.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:10 am »

Cheers,
Robin
Burn, baby burn. But burn smart! Glad to hear it's working out for you. Try running track 2 a bunch for those Loreleis and other components. Then once everything is good-to-go, use track 3 (a 5 minute track) prior to using your system for the day's / night's listening.

I played Track 2 in Dolby Pro Logic 2x for my whole 6.1 system and i'm even noticing the improvement on the video side of my system with a cleaner full range sound in Dolby EX on my DirecTv, not to the extent of my music side, but an improvement never the less.

So when you say "burn smart",,, wanta explain that? I have my HTPC and that's it for compenents that I can actually play the CD on. I've already burned all 7 speakers(including the sub) so please clue me in. Are you saying playing this CD repeatedly isn't a smart thing to do?  :dunno: I dunno so please educate me.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

djbnh

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:19 am »
So when you say "burn smart",,, wanta explain that? I have my HTPC and that's it for compenents that I can actually play the CD on. I've already burned all 7 speakers(including the sub) so please clue me in. Are you saying playing this CD repeatedly isn't a smart thing to do?  :dunno: I dunno so please educate me.  :D

Cheers,
Robin
Robin, I simply mean that using the Isotek CD, in my experience, has significantly cut down the hours and hours I previously needed to burn in cables and components. That to me is burning smart! For example, I wish I had this disc when I first got my Extreme Monos, with their +400 hours of time to get right; I would not be surprised if the IsoTek CD significantly reduced that timetable. I know that I have used the CD to burn-in two sets each of the newest iteration of Grover's ICs in about 36 hours for each set. That, to me, is a significant time reduction.

nrenter

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:31 am »
I'm using this disk to break in my *completely* new system - CD player, XLR interconnects from CD player to integrated amp, integrated amp, speaker cables and speakers. I let the CD run (all 3 tracks) all night, then spin music during the day.

I think what is most interesting is that I can hear my system articulate the "pops" on this CD with more clarity each night. If you are using this disk, perhaps you know what I mean.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:40 am »
*ERROR* I ordered the XLO/Sheffied not the Isotek. Sorry about the confusion!

« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 01:59 am by Jim N. »

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:49 am »

Cheers,
Robin
Robin, I simply mean that using the Isotek CD, in my experience, has significantly cut down the hours and hours I previously needed to burn in cables and components. That to me is burning smart! For example, I wish I had this disc when I first got my Extreme Monos, with their +400 hours of time to get right; I would not be surprised if the IsoTek CD significantly reduced that timetable. I know that I have used the CD to burn-in two sets each of the newest iteration of Grover's ICs in about 36 hours for each set. That, to me, is a significant time reduction.

Thanks for the explanation, I just wanta make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here. My system is 4 years old and other than Chris's power cord (and I know they ain't new), nothing in my system is new but yet I still hear a significant improvement and to me,,, that's making this Isotec purchase a smart buy.  :D But I think it goes w/o saying that any future purchases (like the Crysal Cables digital cable that I should be getting anyday now) will get extensive exposure to this CD straight outta the box!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

95bcwh

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:02 am »
I just ordered it through Amazon Marketplace, 26.22 shipped. It's worth a shot as I have found using the Ayre/Cardas IBE disk to be beneficial.

Amazon???? I did a search on Amazon and found nothing!  :scratch:

Huck

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2007, 02:56 am »
I guess this question is for anyone, so, how often are tracks one and two to be used?.I get it about using track three as a warmup once a week before listening, but not sure if tracks 1 and 2 are used just the once to burn-in and demagnetize and that's it or when a new piece of gear is added? Thanks, Huck

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2007, 03:10 am »
Personally, I use track 3 everyday before firing up the tunes, usually first thing in the morning right after me and my Aussie do our "thing".  aa I play track 2 for my floorstanders whenever i'm leaving the house for 1/2 hour. All this Enhancer does is exercise your system, you can't play it too much but you can play it too little. Everytime I've ever A/B'd a song before running the Enhancer, I can tell the improvement, especially in the highs. Liken it to getting out of bed in the morning. If you spend  1/2 hour doing stretching exercises or just going for a walk, you speed up your metabolism and you get up to speed that much faster. Same with your system, it's no different. JMO!  :)

Cheers,
Robin