Columbia Legacey LP's

lazydays

Columbia Legacey LP's
« on: 27 Dec 2009, 07:53 pm »
I opened of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew for a play Christmas night, and found sides 3 & 4 warped a little bit on the outter rim. Also noticed that the center hole was extremely tight on one disc and about right on the other. Traded it with my dealer for a new one, only to find the same disc warped, but nothing like the first set. This one tracks OK, but still has a little warp on the rim. Has anybody on here had similar problems with the legacey LP's (I have about six to play)
gary

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: Columbia Legacey LP's
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2009, 08:37 pm »
My copy of Bitches Brew was warped too.  I sent it back and the replacement was warped as well so I requested a refund.  I won't bother with any of the other Legacy pressings.

--Jerome

pw

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2010, 12:40 pm »
Hi,

Same problem I have with the 2nd record from the Bitches Brew reissue... I don't expect a perfectly flat record, but this one affected the playback on my turntable, causing the opening part of the track spanish key to sound strange (and its not due to Teo Macero's studio trickery :))

I've sent an email to Legacy recordings to complain about this... I don't feel good returning it to the store I bought it from as it is a small mom and pops store that stocks only 1 or 2 copies of each title.

Anyway, I'm new to this forum...found my way here while googling to see if others have the same issue with the LPs. (I'm from Singapore)

pw

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2010, 01:41 pm »
I have many issues with Columbia records. However, most of my complaints have to do with equalization and the tendencies of the recordings to sound shrilly. I just don't understand the problem with quality control in this day and age. Everyone from the guy running the press to the person stuffing the LP into the sleeve  must have noticed problems. My suggestion is do like Jerome did and use the power of the dollar to send a message to these companies. Spit out crap, lose sales.

Happy New Year!

Wayner  :lol:

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2010, 06:15 pm »
Hi,

Same problem I have with the 2nd record from the Bitches Brew reissue... I don't expect a perfectly flat record, but this one affected the playback on my turntable, causing the opening part of the track spanish key to sound strange (and its not due to Teo Macero's studio trickery :))

I've sent an email to Legacy recordings to complain about this... I don't feel good returning it to the store I bought it from as it is a small mom and pops store that stocks only 1 or 2 copies of each title.

Anyway, I'm new to this forum...found my way here while googling to see if others have the same issue with the LPs. (I'm from Singapore)

pw

my tone arm would track the warp OK, even though the warp at the outter lip was pretty bad. It was the second disc as you stated. The replacement LP also was warped, but to a much lesser degree. Just kinda pisses me off!
gary