MQA finally taking off. The format for the future?

RDavidson

Re: MQA finally taking off. The format for the future?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2016, 12:12 am »
MQA :thumbdown:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #21 on: 16 Sep 2016, 12:15 am »
I still cannot pinpoint the reason for why there is a need for MQA in the first place?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio
DVD-Audio has been described as "extinct" by 2007
Encoding: Meridian Lossless Packing or uncompressed LPCM

This new Pinky and the Brain MQA scheme is an attempt the rectify that lost revenue stream. It's complete nonsense, which is why it's aimed squarely at audiophiles.
This is a good explanation of what happens when one abandons standard information theory for "audiophile" theories about "time smear" and such bogey men:
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/MQA/origami/ThereAndBack.html
Best of luck to them, I'll skip and keep DSP processing for pesky trivialities like room modes, thanks.

cheers,

AJ

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 16 Sep 2016, 02:55 am »
Just curious, anyone here know the ETA on Tidal?

bacobits1

« Reply #23 on: 16 Sep 2016, 02:58 am »
The only date I have seen stated was 2016.
Ain't happening.

smargo

« Reply #24 on: 23 Sep 2016, 03:04 pm »
MQA is a money grab, plain and simple. The licensing costs are very high for manufacturers. I see it as just another "better way" that the audio press is trying to push upon us.

How come nobody can say what the licensing costs are for mqa decoders? How come its such a secret?

bacobits1

« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2016, 03:32 pm »
 :thumbdown:
Negative repercussions.  :?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2016, 09:18 pm »
We've listened at the shop to MQA samples as well as MQA vs non MQA files downloaded off of the Norwegian recording label 2L.  There was not universal agreement that the MQA files sounded better - though there was agreement that the MQA files sounded different.

I liked the idea of MQA - i.e. authenticating the provenance of HD files and offering a way to stream that with lower bandwidth to make it more financially feasible for Tidal and other services.

Nonetheless I worry about what this MQA processing is doing to potentially harm the sound - I just doesn't make sense that you can break up and "fold" the higher frequencies below the noise floor, then reconstruct it again, without some detrimental effect. 

I'd also be worried that its going to make compliant DAC's doing MQA sound to much like Meridien.  Meridien digital products are good - but I don't want all my DAC's to be be made to sound more Meridien-like.

Apparently a number of manufacturers have these doubts as well - not to speak of handing over intellectual property to a competitor to certify their products as MQA compliant. 

And as a hi fi retailer I think ultimately it creates more harm - i.e some customers on the fence about a digital purchase until it supports MQA - or MQA is abandoned.  Sales are tough enough without giving people another reason to hold off on a purchase.

Ultimately I think the MQA issues distracts from more important ones, even just in the sound quality camp.  Ultimately there are many more important issues to address to optimize sound quality than trying to develop a new high definition audio format.  "Good old fashioned" red book digital has potentially many more things that can be done to it to make it better, whether its pulled off a CD or streamed over a home network or internet.

smargo

« Reply #27 on: 26 Sep 2016, 09:42 pm »
  "Good old fashioned" red book digital has potentially many more things that can be done to it to make it better, whether its pulled off a CD or streamed over a home network or internet.

i know this isnt the jist of what you are talking about - but i recently hooked my cd player up ( in storage for about 2.5 years)  - after 2 years of playing downloaded files on my sony hap es  - i stopped listening to music from my digital downloads - about 3 months ago - now i cant stop listening to music again on my cd player - the music seems so much fuller and richer and attractive - this with a modest cd player by shanling

Its all bs -  the dowloaded files sounding better - sometimes it does - most times  it doesnt - long live the cd player!

bacobits1

« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2016, 10:05 pm »
Good post jarcher!
It's a control money play.

The recording quality is all over the place so it's going to differ quite a bit.
I just purchased 3 CD's and I will continue to purchase what I want.
I purchased my Chord DAC and now my Yggdrasil specifically for their pcm quality.
I stream primarily for discovery of new music, although it sounds very good very close to cd at times
I will still purchase the CD versions.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2016, 03:36 am by bacobits1 »