T8+ as phono pre

tipatina

T8+ as phono pre
« on: 7 Jun 2016, 01:20 am »
Hello, I am rotating some things around various systems. I have a T8+ with the current MM phono circuit. I'd like to use the T8+ as a phono pre only. I assume I would just connect the turntable to input 1 of the T8+ and the T8+ tape out to another linestage or integrated or home theater receiver. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
Re: T8+ as phono pre
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2016, 08:34 pm »
That will work.

Regards,
Dean

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:48 pm »
It won't hurt the pre to have an open circuit at the mains? Not challenging, just curious.

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2016, 06:15 pm »
Lefty is correct.  To use the phono section of a T8+ alone, come out the tape outputs of the preamp with its selector switch set to the Line 1, or Special position.  Turn the volume control all the way down.

You will now get the direct output of the T8+ phono section sent on to another preamplifier if that is what you desire.

Note that you can use the tuner section of any old FM/AM stereo receiver as a tuner alone using the same technique.  Connect its tape outputs to a spare set of line level inputs on your preamplifier and don't bother with the receiver's speaker wire connections at all.

No problem running any AVA preamp with nothing connected to the audio output jacks.  All are totally stable in this mode of use, as are all AVA power amps too.

Of course turn the preamp and or power amp off while connecting or disconnecting audio cables.  Not doing so risks generating large possibly system damaging transients.

Frank Van Alstine

tipatina

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2016, 03:29 pm »
Thanks, this did indeed work well.