AVA Introduces the DVA 850 Monoblock

aln

AVA Introduces the DVA 850 Monoblock
« on: 31 May 2016, 12:17 pm »
Just saw this on the website.  Way to go!

ricmon

Re: AVA Introduces the DVA 850 Monoblock
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 07:05 pm »
WOW!!! :o  I thought I would never live long enough to see this......  I mean holey sh*&t!!! I am truly glad to see this product coming from AVA..  Way to go Farnk!!!!

Ric

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2016, 11:58 pm »
Gosh, so many questions!!

Why 'DVA'?  Can two Fet Valve Ultra 550s be upgraded to two DVA 850s?  If so, what's the upgrade cost?  Can these be bridged, for insane, crazy power?  8)

Have fun,

Jerry

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2016, 12:40 am »
The DVA 850 is a mono block power amplifier. It has approx. 850 watts RMS under its hood. Obviously, two amps are required for stereo, giving the user 1700wrms of total power.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2016, 12:49 am »
The DVA 850 is a mono block power amplifier. It has approx. 850 watts RMS under its hood. Obviously, two amps are required for stereo, giving the user 1700wrms of total power.

Yep, I knew that part.  :D

PMAT

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2016, 06:08 am »
 :thumb: Great move. I have similar power. It can really wake some speakers up. Lack of clipping can be very noticeable. Go AVA!

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2016, 09:29 am »
I'd like to see some pics of it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2016, 10:05 am »
I'd like to see some pics of it.
This photo is some large:

rlee8394

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2016, 01:33 pm »
Would like to see the insides. Is it a true common ground monoblock, or two channels that are internally bridged? If the latter, then wouldn't make much sense to modify two FV400R/600R amps. Just my $0.02 worth.

Ron

PMAT

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2016, 02:50 pm »
Enter......The Dragon

Unleash the POWER!

Wake up your system. Flea watters are welcome to sit this one out.

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2016, 03:20 pm »
The DVA 850 is a bridge mode design, using a variation of the Fet Valve 600R circuits with new relay controlled switching for power and RCA to XLR use and detailed design concepts unique to this amplifier.

Here is a drawing of the back panel layout.  The dual sets of audio output jacks provide for easy connecitons for bi-wiring.

A stock 600R cannot be easily converted.  Too much difference in the back panel layout and internal wiring and needed new circuit boards.

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2016, 04:19 pm »
For those of you wondering on how the monoblocks sound in comparison to the Fet Valve 400R or 600R amplifiers, we did sell a pair at Axpona.  Here is bits of an email exchange with the customer.  He owned a 400R amplifier and traded it in for the DVA 850s.

"While I do like the monoblocks, I am going to do one last listening comparison against the 400R to make sure I can justify the additional cost.

I may need the weekend to do some additional listening.  I will let you know by early next week on my final decision and then let you know which amp(s) I will be sending to you."

"Hi Mary:

I listened last night and I don't think I need any additional time.  The monoblocks are much better.

I will ship the 400R back to you most likely tomorrow and email you the tracking info."

I agree!  The monoblocks are much better.  You hear it immediately!

Mary

Pryso

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2016, 05:44 pm »
It doesn't appear that AVA will be represented at THE Show Newport this weekend.  Too bad, I had hoped to hear the new DVA 850. :roll:

ricmon

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2016, 06:46 pm »
Don't see them on the schedule for the Capitol Audiofest either... :evil:

Ric

PMAT

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2016, 10:27 pm »
Rushing things to market can certainly be problematic. Of course I know nothing about the situation here but Patience is a virtue or so my mother told me. I'm hoping these are parasound JC-1 mono block competitors. Hi power and high-quality mono blocks for a reasonable price. It opens up so many more possibilities for speakers. I own none of Frank's gear but I do fancy the basic tube preamp. These boys are something I could lust after. I'm rooting for Frank because I like less bullshit in life. And he's a zero bullshit kind person from what I can tell. Go team Frank.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2016, 12:11 am »
Mono blocks are fully separate amps, sharing nothing. This is the best reason for their better sound.

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2016, 06:03 am »
Is the front panel of the 850 indicative of a new direction in styling, or just for this behemoth?

festuss

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jul 2016, 02:12 am »
Watts is never enough, it ain't louder, it's control, and detail, it matters.  i started out with one 500W amp decades back went to two, then 4 driven each now  in mono with AVA hybrid phase inverters 2 of of them, it changes EVERYTHING  P500 with AVA ckts are 1200W + in mono.X 4 ! 3 separate AC line ckts, to not pop the breaker.  due to the huge AC mains transformers,, it opens up and controls Legacy Whisper to the nth degree, one 500 W amp is lifeless, 4 in mono is ALIVE, not louder, just BETTER.  always go for the WATTS pristine AVA watts of course. Listening at realistic levels of close to 100dB is ALIVE, not stressed or strain, with current and watts! AVA puts everyone in AWE