Which Grado?

DeanChat

Re: Which Grado?
« Reply #60 on: 30 Sep 2014, 05:18 am »
The Alessandro MS1 and MS2 are great Grado-esque cans, but less fatiguing than the Grados.  The MS2's are similar to the Grado 325.  Earpads (cushions) make a huge difference.  I got Todd's Flats (from Todd the Vinyl Junkie) for my MS2s and they improved the bass significantly.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #61 on: 18 Oct 2014, 12:49 am »
Thanks Dean.  The Alessandro's are intriguing to me, but I can't seem to nail them down.  They say Alessandro by Grado, but appear to be various Grado models, SR80, SR325, and RS1, with an Alessandro name tag, sold at the same price.  Is it boutique marketing, or are they actually voiced differently?

As it always goes in these matters, my expectations and plans are changing.  Now I'm looking at going a bit upmarket to the RS2i that a fellow ACer is selling through a dealership he is associated with.  Whether they will be available at the end of the month when funds for the purchase will be available is up in the air.  Essentially a RS325 with wooden chambers, why not go for it instead of playing around.  And if I don't like them, I can easily sell them for a small loss at most.  So what started out as a whim is becoming a real purchase.

audacious808

« Reply #62 on: 18 Oct 2014, 01:45 am »
Ive owned SR80, SR225, SR325i, RS1i. Still have the Head-Fi series HF-2 (now called PS500's) and some modded 325i and Magnums. I would say save your money and get the older version. The new 'e' series to me just sounds like a marketing ploy to "renew" the models and create some interest. The changes from 'i' from the regular models weren't very significant.

solrage

« Reply #63 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:48 pm »
Over the years I've owned the 60s, 80s, 125s, 225s, RS1s, PS1s, and GS1000s. They're a frustrating headphone line, as I absolutely love their pedigree for rock music, but I inevitably find myself having SOME complaint with them over time and selling them.

Of the entire line, I think the RS1s are the best, but overpriced. They synthesize the best of the Grado sound without most of the typical annoyances. I do think the 60s are a steal for the price (best under $100 headphones I've heard) and the 225s are very solid upgrade that are maybe just a bit overpriced. I wouldn't mess with the 80s or 125s. The PS1s are great if you want bass, but outrageously overpriced. GS1000s were the most neutral, un-Grado like of the bunch, but I have other phones for that purpose.

I haven't heard any of the "i" line.

DeanChat

« Reply #64 on: 28 Oct 2014, 04:59 am »
Letitroll98, I believe the Alessandros are built by Grado for Alessandro and to Alessandro's specs.  They use the same basic housing as some Grado models but are voiced differently.  I love my MS2i, they were my main cans for 7-8 years (not as much use since I bought some Audeze LCD-3's though).

RS2i's are nice cans.  I hope things work out for you.

-Dean

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #65 on: 29 Oct 2014, 02:48 am »
Thanks guys, some great info.  I'm pretty set on hearing the RS2i as my best go to at this point, at least within the Grado line.  Seems to be a great bang for the buck with the most relaxed sound.

So what's the deal with the soundstaging?  I've read conflicting reports that the stage is all between your ears, but Steve Guttenberg says the soundfield is expansive, way beyond the headphones.  I'm a soundstage junkie, so this is a big deal for me.  This applies in varying degrees to all Grado headphones, the comments seem to be across the various lines.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #66 on: 19 Nov 2014, 01:04 pm »
Just to put a cap on this thread, I ended up buying the RS2i that was on sale at Command Performance in Virginia  And I also picked up a set of Hifiman HE400i's from World Wide Stereo in Hatfield, PA.  So now I have the best of both worlds.

FireGuy

« Reply #67 on: 19 Nov 2014, 02:48 pm »
Just to put a cap on this thread, I ended up buying the RS2i that was on sale at Command Performance in Virginia  And I also picked up a set of Hifiman HE400i's from World Wide Stereo in Hatfield, PA.  So now I have the best of both worlds.

I'm thinking about the HE400 too.  Let us know you take.

charmerci

« Reply #68 on: 19 Nov 2014, 03:27 pm »
I'm thinking about the HE400 too.  Let us know you take.

Already did here -

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130353.0

FireGuy

« Reply #69 on: 19 Nov 2014, 03:53 pm »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #70 on: 20 Nov 2014, 03:24 am »
Already did here -

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130353.0

And here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129903.0

I'm really being a pain with all of these threads open, didn't intend to and don't usually do it, but it just evolved that way.

Since I talked about the Grado sound in the other thread, maybe some reasoning why I started out looking at SR80's and SR125's and ended up with RS2i's.  Firstly, all of the "i" model SR's sold out so quickly that I'd have had to buy a new model "e" at full retail.  Then it seemed that from what several were suggesting, I'd be buying wooden cups and upgraded wiring anyway.  Then I thought about all of the audio projects left lying around because I'm no good with small wires and solder.  Then an AC member was suggesting I go with the more expensive product as I could get a great discount on the outgoing "i" model at a store he buys from.  I thought why not, if I don't like them I can sell them for what I paid.  And the goal was to find the sweet spot in the Grado line where spending more becomes overburdened with diminishing returns.  I don't know if I found it, but I made a pretty good stab at it and don't think I'll be selling these anytime soon.