Stax Owners?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Stax Owners?
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2013, 01:48 am »
Hi fsimms and all Audio Circle members.
Did your cousin pay for the repair ?  :duh: :lol:
May I ask how much it cost you?
Where did you get them repaired?

Guy 13
Where would be the best place to shop?
There is a Stax dealer in Ho Chi Minh now:
http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-Vietnam.html

Guy 13

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2013, 07:44 am »
No, he didn't pay for it.  He didn't have a penny to his name. 

I think it cost a bit above $100 in 1977 to get them fixed. 

My local HiFi store sent them to Stax to get them repaired.  The HiFi store went out of business almost 15 years ago.

Bob
Hi Bob and all Audio Circle members.
Sad story ! :cry:

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2013, 08:00 am »
Where would be the best place to shop?
There is a Stax dealer in Ho Chi Minh now:
http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-Vietnam.html

Hi FULLRANGEMAN and all Audio Circle members.
I know already the Stax importer/retailer by the name of Audio Choice in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
I don’t want to buy any audio stuff in Vietnam.
They don’t know what they are talking about and I cannot take advantage of the manufacturer’s warranty (Especially Stax products), because many time, the importer don’t have enough volume to import directly from the manufacturer, therefore, the importer buy from Hong Kong and/or Singapore.
By doing so, they cannot offer a real warranty.
I had that problem when I bought my Rega P3/Exact mm turntable combo.
So I know, don’t forget that I have been doing business in Vietnam for the past 18 years.
Anyway, by curiosity, I went to Audio Choice which is only 10 minutes from my showroom.
I ask for Mr. David Huy (The name that was on Stax’s website) and no one has ever heard of that gentleman.
I ask for a demonstration of a pair of Stax headphones and the salesman went behind his counter and gave me a box marked on it Fostex.
I told him, not Fostex, I want Stax and I raised my voice and try to prononciate as clearly as possible, there is not many different ways to pronounce STAX !
Anyway the salesman looked at me with BIG eyes and stayed in front of me like a statue.
So, I walk out mumbling: Bunch of retards…
Now, you know why I don’t want to buy audio stuff in Vietnam.
I will report my findings to Stax head office and I hope Audio Choice will loose the exclusive distribution for Stax in Vietnam.
End of story.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2013, 07:36 pm »
Very strange indeed, Stax deserve a better dealer.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2013, 09:08 pm »
Perhaps you'll have better luck in Canada.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2013, 01:19 am »
Out of all the people on this site am I the only Stax owner?
Used to own Lambda's.. had them for many years..sold em last year..just don't listen to much headphone these days.
But they had a big transparent sound that I liked. Think they were over $500 with the energizer box way back when.   Greg

airhead

« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2013, 03:25 am »
I have a very old pair of SRX MK 3's with an SRD7.  One driver went and so I bought a second pair (with one
bad channel) used and now have a good pair.  Except for sound staging, they sound more true  and simply right than anything
else I have ever heard anywhere.  I loved the sound so much that I went sort of crazy and bought a pair of Stax
loudspeakers, which have a marvelous soundstage but can't match the bass of the headphones of course. 

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2013, 07:41 am »
Used to own Lambda's.. had them for many years..sold em last year..just don't listen to much headphone these days.
But they had a big transparent sound that I liked. Think they were over $500 with the energizer box way back when.   Greg

Hi Greg and all Audio Circle members.
I've purchase 30 years ago exactly the same pair of Stax with the energizer
and I think at that time, I've paid at that time about 500 Cnd $.
I am still today kicking my butt for selling them.
However, who knows, I might buy another pair when I am back in Canada.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2013, 07:49 am »
Perhaps you'll have better luck in Canada.

Hi Steve and all Audio Circle members.
I am sure I will have better luck buying Stax headphones in Canada.
I know already the retailer in Montreal, Canada,
it's Filtronic they have been in business as long as I can remember
and they are close to where I will live.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2013, 07:55 am »
Very strange indeed, Stax deserve a better dealer.
Hi FULLRANGEMAN and all Audio Circle members.
Stax have deleted their e-mail address and state in their website to contact the distributor for any problem.
Well, the problem is the distributor, therefore, I found Stax's mailing address in Japan and sent a letter via Air Mail no later than this morning.
I will see what will happen and if Stax is really committed to the satisfaction of their customers.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2013, 01:32 pm »
Remove the email address from the site is not a good sign.

Lord Soth

• I'm an American BadAss!
« Reply #31 on: 2 Jun 2013, 10:10 am »
As much as I would like to share and describe in writing the Stax sound , I apologize as I am not very good at writing about the sound i hear. Not all of the Lambdas sound the same although some of the adjectives used to describe them are ..accurate , effortless, bright etc ... IME the Sigma sound more like listening to speakers or having an out of the ear/head sound.

I started with the HD650 last year w/c I found very good for jazz and  pop music (but never enjoyed classical with it) , and tried a few other headphones LCD2, Beyer T1 before going into stats. My first being the Omega 2 followed by the 009 ...i got addicted and sought earlier Lambdas to add to the collection. Each one has its own sound and depending on the listener , their will always be good, better or best  for certain types of music , moods and equipment.

For starters I would recommend the normal bias Lambda ,as they have some of the best mids and is one of the most musical lambdas ..even though it is about 20+ years old . The newer 407 may also suit a lot of music types and can be easier to acquire.

Again sorry If I have not been much of a help ..

Hi!

What is the sonic difference/impressions of the T1 vs Stax?

I've got a T1 myself, hence the curiosity.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #32 on: 2 Jun 2013, 10:22 am »

cab

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jun 2013, 01:51 pm »
I have 2 sets of Stax headphones-the New SR-3 and a SRX MarkIII. Enjoy both a great deal.

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:23 pm »
Out of all the people on this site am I the only Stax owner?

Nope. I have the SR-507 driven by the SRM-006ts and like the rig very much. I have come close to getting a SR-007 a few times, but it has never quite happened. Don't give up the ship!

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:32 pm »
I've got Omega II, which sounds sublime via SET by way of transformers  :thumb:

Lucky

jibzilla

« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2014, 06:05 pm »
I have tried out the 007mk2, 407, 507 and airbow sr-sc-11. The 007 requires a very powerful amp, more powerful than the Woo ges can provide so I think that deserves a warning. The airbow's are the ones to get over the 407 and 507. Pricejapan has good deals on stax and are very professional imo. I think it will be interesting to see how the schiit raganork will pair with the woo wee.

jeffreyfranz

• LOW HEAT
« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:43 pm »
I have gotten away from following the audio websites. I am not sure I even remember the Airbow, if I've ever seen it. I'll look around, maybe. However, I am not really into spending large sums on audio these days. Ive been there and done that, as folks say, and I am getting older. I am thinking more now of paring down to asimpler lifestyle. I mostly collect music nowadays and little of that. Good luck to you, and enjoy.  :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2014, 10:03 pm »
I've got two Stax headphones:  SR 507 and SR 404.  I also have the  Stax SRM 006 tiitA and SRM 007 tII.  Wonderful sounding setups.

Once you have heard the Stax system, it's hard to go back.   :thumb:

steve in jersey

« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2014, 11:10 pm »
Has anyone had a chance to hear the "King Sound" electrostatic phones ?

I've seen only sporadic mention of them (Steve Guttenberg did a small article on them & Tyll H did a short visit with them at a past Audio
Show,but that's about all I can think of).

Any thoughts on these ?