LCR-30 good match for my VR4s

runnerlk

LCR-30 good match for my VR4s
« on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:39 pm »
I recently sold my Visiun CC as it was overkill for my room. I was going to pick up a LCR-15 but came across a LCR-30 but could not find any info on it. Wondering if it would be a good timbre match for my VR-4JR MKII fronts.

roscoeiii

Re: LCR-30 good match for my VR4s
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2015, 08:28 pm »
I've got an LCR-31 that goes great with VR-4s. Been meaning to sell it since I don't have room. Shoot me a PM if interested.

MichiganMike

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2015, 10:09 pm »
I believe the LCR-30 was a product of Von Schweikert Research in Watertown, New York.  After a flood of the factory in 1999, Von Schweikert Research went out of business.  Albert Von Schweikert went on to found his current company Von Schweikert Audio in Riverside, CA, which designed the VR-4JR.  The VR-4JR and other later speakers of VSA built upon the experience with the products of Von Schweikert Research, so I expect similarities in sound, but do not know if the LCR-30 would be the best timbre match.   

I am using a VR-4JR MkI as the center channel with my VR-4JR left and right speakers.  The price of used VR-4JR speakers makes this another cost effective option, if you can purchase one.  The bass module may be used horizontally if the center channel would otherwise be too high.

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:12 am »
The ideal match for the Jrs is the LCR-15 which has the same drivers. :)

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:35 am »
I had to Google LCR-31 to see what one looked like, it is interesting with that top mounted tweeter.

Regarding your original thought of the LCR-15, don't waste your money. It is boxy sounding and nothing can be done to improve the sound. I modded a few pairs of VR-2's with cabinet bracing and high density resonance control materials with excellent results. I used the same techniques on a friends LCR-15 and the improvement was marginal. Sorry JackD201 but the LCR-15 is not a keeper.

Wayne

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2015, 06:19 am »
No worries Wayne. IMO the keeper is the Visiun but the OP's sold them :(  The 15s worked well enough in our old HT when we lived in a condo. It really was the partner for the older retail line of speakers. The question was if they matched and IMO they did. The Jrs did have better bracing than the twos and that helped make them IMO really superior to the 2s along with the different xo arrangement.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:04 pm »
Love the LCR 15, in fact I'm using temporarily with my Uni 2's.  Used the LCR35 with my Jr's back in the day which, was a winner.   You can pick up an LCR 15 for $400 or so..  The OP can always re-sell if not satisfied. 

runnerlk

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:26 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I liked the Visiun in my old theater room which was much larger and at a time when I was watching a lot of movies. Since I moved to a smaller theater room and my focus is more 2 channel oriented I felt the Visiun was overkill. So for what I sold it for I can buy a LCR 15, 30 or 31 and have tons of cash left over to maybe upgrade my turntable.  :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2015, 09:18 am »
Sounds like a plan!  :green: