Headphone Help, please!

I.Greyhound Fan

Headphone Help, please!
« on: 25 Oct 2014, 04:28 pm »
I would greatly appreciate some headphone advice.  I bought my son a pair of Sennheiser HD 449 headphones to use with his preamp, IPOD, computer music, and gaming.  After 50 hours of burn in they are flat with little bass.  I am going to sell these and buy a different set.  I want to stay in the $100-120 range discount or street price, not list.  Any recommendations must be for OVER THE EAR. I have been researching the following around the ear headphones-

ATH M50x
ATH A500x
ATH A700X
ATH AD700x

Beyerdynamic DT440

JVC HA RX900
JVC HA MR77X

Sony ZX700
Sony MDRV6
Sony MDR7506
Sony MDR7510

Denon AH-D1100

VMODA Crossfade LP1

I am so freaking confused.  I have read so many user and pro reviews and they are all a mixed bag of worms as far as bass is concerned.  Some reviews say that bass is deep and strong, while other reviews of the same headphones state that bass is weak.  WTF!  For example a pro review on the M50x stated that bass is ok but not great and user reviews state bass is strong and deep.

My son basically wants a headphone that is not veiled or muddy, has good fidelity ( does not have to be great at this price range) and that has good deep punchy bass and a full midrange without being too bright..  Any head phone that is recommended must fall in that price range and must be over the ear.

By the way, my son's sound card in his computer is one of the high end sound blaster cards. 
Any help would be much appreciated.

Any one want to buy a pair of Sennheiser 449's for $40 plus shipping?

Thanks,

Larry

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Headphone Help, please!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2014, 06:00 pm »
Larry,

I certainly appreciate your frustration in finding the 'right' choice. I have no headphone suggestions--just offering moral support.

Come to think of it, I know a young man who may be interested in the 449s. I'll flash him a message. I'll get back with you as soon as I get an answer.

Enjoy life! We get but one chance.

Michael

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2014, 06:15 pm »
Greyhound, look at the Senn HD 558.  A bit over your budget but a winner for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:40 pm »
Would he consider an in-ear monitor? Alclair (in MN) sells a super comfortable universal in-ear now that is perfect for gaming. It has not a single negative that would detract from game play. Plus, it can be used outside the house as well.

I apologize that my suggestion is over your budget and not a headphone. Please forgive me for ignoring the rules on this one.
See this thread for good advice :http://www.head-fi.org/t/260797/good-gaming-headphones-150

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:50 pm »
As usual there will be a plethora of different recommendations making you more confused than when you started.  As an owner of the JVC HA RX900 I'll weigh in with one of those recommendations, which couldn't be higher for the JVC s.  At the street price of $57 you could buy two for your budget, one for you and one for your kid.  They're marvelous stock, clean and clear with good bass and an incredibly wide and deep soundstage.  But the real deal is how easily they can be modded into a giant killer.  A small screwdriver, a sheet of no rez, and a tiny bit of spare cotton can turn these into world class headphones.  I like mine better than any 500 series Sennhiesers and gives the 600s a reasonable run for they're money.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:54 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations guys.  He definitely wants around ear as stated.  We are strongly considering the JVC's and the Sony 7510/ZX700 but have not ruled out the M50's.  I keep reading mixed reviews on the M50's, some say the bass is strong and deep and others stating that it has weak bass.  I have read similar reviews on the JVC's and Sony's which is so frustrating. Here are some reviews on the M50's which differ-

http://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/ath-m50/review

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audio-technica-ath-m50-page-2

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/audio-technica-ath-m50-over-ear-headphones-review/sound-quality

He basically wants a set of musical headphones that has good bass and punch without sounding bright, flat or muddy. As far as coloration goes, he is ok with that and likes a little warmer sound.  (He and I both have tube gear).  He has a pair of Koss Porta Pro's and while they are not as clear sounding as the 449's they are more enjoyable for certain types of music as they are much more musical.  The 449's sound better when cranked up and when you put little pressure on the cups to make a better seal.  They may need better pads and the mod that people are doing.

My only issues with the JVC is that some reviews said that they did not hold up with some going dead in just a few months.  These will get a lot daily use.

Thanks again.  I got more replies here in 1 day then 2 days over at the Head Fi forum.  Go figure.

Larry

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2014, 04:54 am »
I will take a look at those.

What do you think about the Phiaton MS 400's.  I can get a discounted pair for $125

http://phiaton.com/ms-400-1

The reviews are excellent.  My only concerns are if they will fit around the ear.   I have read that on some people with larger ears that they will only fit on ear.  My son has average sized ears.  The other issue is the double sided cord instead of a single cord.  You would think that a pair of headphones that lists for $250 would have a nice single cord.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2014, 06:03 am »
I have heard many raving about the Pendulumic Stance S1. http://www.pendulumic.com/stance/

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2014, 10:25 am »
Hi,

Do you have any local headphones shops where you live?  Listening for yourself is probably the best thing to do.  Reviews are quite useless.  I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's which had most really good reviews based on a hunch and it paid off fine.  I live in Perth Western Australia which is really isolated city in our country but luckily we have a dedicated headphone shop which has a really good range of headphones to listen to.

Cheers Rod

2gumby2

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:18 am »
Larry,
   PM sent on some headphones.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2014, 05:44 am »
We listened to the ATH-M50X and the Senn HD 380 Pro.  The M50x was more clear, neutral and revealing while the 380's were warmer with more bass.  Both were not broken in.  The M50X has good bass but it was deeper and tighter in the Senn's.  Overall my son preferred the M50x's but he would like something with a bit more warmth.  We also listened to a Sony 7506 which was way out of its league with the other 2.

Tomorrow we are going to listen to a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's.  We heard a pair of 518's and they had a little too much bass and sounded a bit veiled.  I am hoping the 558's are better. 

I have a chance to buy a pair of the Klipsch Status phones, any one here heard them?

SlyFuu

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2014, 05:52 pm »
Fun thread, I'm interested what your son thinks of the 558s. I haven't personally listened to them but from what I read, my guess is they'll have less bass than the M50x but should give a bigger soundstage.

I owned the little brother to the JVC Ha-rx900's the rx700's. They were my first entrance into decent headphones and I absolutely love them to this day. I no longer own them, they ended up breaking after about 4 years of abuse  :lol:. They held up really well. I haven't heard the 900's but wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:52 am »
He ended up with the ATH-M50x.  He liked the 558 but the M50x's sounded more audiophile.  The 558's have a nice warm sound and are more clear and detailed than the 518's and would be better for gaming and poorly recorded or bright music.  The ATH's were neutral with deeper bass and more detail and definition with out the warmer overtones of the 558's and 518's.  You can get fooled by the 558's into thinking that there was more bass due to the warmth but in reality the bass is deeper in the ATH's.  If he does not like them for gaming then he can pick up a pair of JVC HA-RX900's for about $50pr or use his Koss Porta Pro's which I fixed.  The cable broke at the jack.  I bought a new jack and soldered in some new wire,

milford3

« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:58 am »
Darn!  No one mentioned Beats.  Greyhound, you are a great father.  Just by chance did he ask about Dre's Beats?  Not to open a can of worms here but hey, headphones are fun.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:43 am »
  He listened to them at best buy and thought there was better for the music he likes to listen to.  He is a budding audiophile.  I gave him my Parasound A21 amp and bought him some PSB B6 speakers and a Maverick Audio tube Preamp/DAC.

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:37 am »
  He listened to them at best buy and thought there was better for the music he likes to listen to.  He is a budding audiophile.  I gave him my Parasound A21 amp and bought him some PSB B6 speakers and a Maverick Audio tube Preamp/DAC.

Geez, did I ever tell you, you were my long lost father???  :lol: