NEW -- Improved Vision Phono Preamplifier

avahifi

NEW -- Improved Vision Phono Preamplifier
« on: 31 Jan 2017, 09:26 pm »
I am happy to announce an improved (quieter and even better fidelity) Vision Phono Preamplifier.

The improvements are pretty simply, after lots of listening evaluation, we have selected new opamps for this application.  Four LT1028 ICs to replace the OPA627s.

This buys about a 9 dB improvement in signal to noise ratio and even better musicality.

We have been shipping the new version since the first of the year.

If you have this phono preamp, either the free standing unit or built into your AVA preamplifier, we can replace all your phono section ICs and test it for $50.  Return shipping is $21 for the free standing unit, $35 for the full size verison.

If you want to do it yourself (the new ICs just plug in) a set of four including shipping in the continental USA is $50.

If you have an older larger size phono preamp, contact us (651-330-9871) because there may need to make one small circuit change to use these new ICs correctly.

No change in the price of the phono preamp, either the free standing or built in prices.

Frank
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2017, 01:07 am by avahifi »

Art_Chicago

Re: NEW -- Improved Vision Phono Preamplifier
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2017, 09:46 pm »
 :thumb:
will be upgrading SOON!

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2017, 11:37 pm »
Frank helped me upgrade both of my Vision phono preamps. Wow, what a change! If the Absolute sound gave this a Product of the year award, what are they going to say now?

Wayner

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2017, 01:16 am »
Thanks for the update Frank. Will have to dig thru the couch cushions see if I can find enough change to cover the upgrade for the CF.

Question - when you say "older larger size phono preamp", are you saying the phono in my Ultra Pre from '08 is upgrade-able as well ? (with appropriate adjustments)

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2017, 01:20 am »
You have to have the Vision phono board.

ArthurDent

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2017, 01:25 am »
You have to have the Vision phono board.

Aw shucks. Thanks Wayner.  :thumb:

Syrah

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2017, 02:14 pm »
Hi Frank,
Have you ever tried any of the Burson op amps, like the the V5i - https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/

I have a Jolida JD9, and it is often recommended to go with the following op amp complement,

Output - AD843
Middle - OP627
Input - LT1028

I'm wondering how the Burson might perform?

Thanks.

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2017, 03:30 pm »
We tried the Burson devices in the early stage of the phono preamp design process and were underwhelmed.  They were not quiet enough.

Frank

Syrah

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2017, 04:17 pm »
Thanks.  Including the V5i?  It's supposed to be quieter than the V5.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:27 am »
Do these alternative opamps have any application for the Insight+ EC preamp, and does AVA ever conduct such evaluations for this preamp?

Four LT1028 ICs to replace the OPA627s.

plaf26

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2017, 05:09 pm »
Good thing I contacted Frank about the new opamps.  My preamp needed the modification, which I wouldn't have known otherwise.  Luckily I live close enough that I could bring it over.  He did the fix and installed the new chips on the spot.  And we listened to a relatively new American made turntable that looks very promising.  Thanks yet again, Frank!  :D

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2017, 12:27 am »
I made the change last weekend, and highly recommend it! I put on my 45 RPM version of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" LP and played "Dreams" and "The Chain" before and after.  Stevie Nicks vocals became more three dimensional and I noticed sounds in the background that I did not before, probably because of the lower noise floor.  The bass in "The Chain" gave me goosebumps! It was well worth the $50.00.
Note: place the preamp on it's left side and use tweezers to remove and replace the bottom two op-amps.  I also had to remove a tube to get more wiggle room.

ArthurDent

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2017, 12:48 am »

Note: place the preamp on it's left side and use tweezers to remove and replace the bottom two op-amps.  I also had to remove a tube to get more wiggle room.

Thanks for the tip Nightfall.  :thumb:  Next item on the agenda when the budget loosens up.  8)

LarryRS

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2017, 09:26 am »
I have a Vision preamp that was shipped to me on January 18th.  Is it safe to assume that it has the new opamps?  Thanks.

LarryRS

avahifi

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2017, 06:43 pm »
Your phono preamp should be the Vision Q version.

It make sure, remove the cover.  The new devices have a white stripe across one end and are marked LT1028.

Frank

LarryRS

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2017, 08:05 pm »
They are the LT1028.  Construction is beautiful, by the way.  Thanks.

LarryRS

Art_Chicago

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2017, 09:55 pm »
I am listening to The Royal Ballet Ansermet Analogue Production reissue through an upgraded version now, and I can strongly recommend it! It is "digitally" quiet, but with all the vinyl "magic"!  Not that the previous version of Vision was noisy, but when you change you'll know  :D

50 bucks well spent!

Jim Hamley

« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2017, 07:00 pm »
Hi Frank,
Just wonder whether you tried either the Sparkos:
http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/
or Sonic Imagery:
http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model994DiscreteOpAmp-Ticha.html
discrete opamps which are designed to plug into standard DIP sockets (i.e., pin replaceable for IC's).
Their specs are impressive and reviewers like the way they sound.
...Jim

avahifi

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2017, 10:04 pm »
We have tried Sparko devices and they were not appropriate for our requirements.

The Sonicimagrry devices would raise the phono preamp price nearly $300 so that is not what we want either.

We suggest the Vision Q phono preamp is the best sounding one you will find under $2000 or thereabouts.  Try one, it does have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.  Nobody returns one.

Frank

avahifi

Vision Q phono preamp now available at The Needle Doctor
« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2017, 04:14 pm »
Just to let you know that The Needle Doctor is now selling our Vision Q phono preamp.

They have lots of other ones available but like ours so much it is on display with them now.

This is pretty high praise from these guys who really know so much about vinyl playback.

Frank