About to pull the pin on the nimbus whites - some final advice please

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Not even the 4ohm TD15H+ will get you 98db sensitive system, maybe 96 if you place it close to the floor and have little baffle step. 

We did run the Nimbus at RMAF in that massive 26'x75' room with a 3.5w 2A3 SET and believe it or not, it sounded really good.  Yes, there was definitely some truncation of the dynamic range, and bass thinned out a bit, but in that massive room we were all surprised. 

The 40w 805 SET's were a very nice match, and powered them to just about any reasonable listening level.  With Infected Mushroom and driving dubstep however, I would like a bit more overhead in case the need arose.

Yeah, the nimbus was great with the 40 watt SET. The 15H+ is only 94.5 dB but I'm hoping with the addition of the 2nd driver it'll go up a little... 98 is probably too much to hope for, 95 will probably be closer. Which is fine, it'll have 1st order crossovers and it should be good with SET amps but a big one would be much better, they are just pricey... which is why I also like the idea of a KT88 PP amp. Unfortunately, I can't afford a whole collection of amps.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Yeah, the nimbus was great with the 40 watt SET. The 15H+ is only 94.5 dB but I'm hoping with the addition of the 2nd driver it'll go up a little... 98 is probably too much to hope for, 95 will probably be closer. Which is fine, it'll have 1st order crossovers and it should be good with SET amps but a big one would be much better, they are just pricey... which is why I also like the idea of a KT88 PP amp. Unfortunately, I can't afford a whole collection of amps.

If you want to start another thread here about your design, I'd be happy to share my input. 

paul79

• Industry Participant
Class act for sure. Good on you.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
If you want to start another thread here about your design, I'd be happy to share my input.

Thanks, it would be great to get your input. The Nimbus is an inspiration for sure, as was mgalusha's speakers, Daedalus and other efficient speakers that use large woofers... There is no substitute for a large diameter woofer in the main speaker, pointing right at you. The saying there is no replacement for displacement applies to audio too.  :D  I'll have to decide how much should be public, but it's always possible to generalize a bit... It'll be modular, the woofer will have it's own box and there will be 2 different external crossovers and 2 different high frequency drivers, a cone and a ribbon, both with waveguides. I'll let you know when I get 1st draft of the woofer enclosure design done. AE is taking their sweet time building those woofers so I have plenty of time.  :lol:

Oh yeah, see ya at RMAF...

guest86232

I'd enjoy reading a conversation about design and all the considerations you go through during.

werd

Hi All,

I've been following all things Vapor for a long time. I don't listen to your stereotypical audiophile affair and have been looking for a speaker that can play Infected Mushroom, dubstep, EDM, indie, rock ect without falling apart. My journey led me to the nimbus speakers.

Any feedback would be great at this stage.

Cheers,

Colin

"Please ... tell them - I am God!!! hmm"