BMC PureDac
List: $1790
Sell: $1090

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Greatest SQ improvement: New DAC vs. new Preamp Question
« Reply #41 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:05 pm »
Hi, Tom.

Thanks for the heads up on the BMC DAC. I scanned a review on it and it looks really sweet. Without my having had an opportunity to audition one ahead of time, buying one 2nd hand (even though heavily discounted) is too great a risk for me at this point. I have heard just two DACs in my system--the DacMagic Plus and the internal 100 level DAC in my SimAudio i3.3, which is inferior to the DacMagic Plus. I expect some major revelations once I get a great DAC in for an audition.

Michael

mresseguie

« Reply #42 on: 20 Oct 2014, 06:43 pm »
Great feedback! I see I've got some homework. Here's a list of the DACs as suggested by respondents:

Chord Hugo
Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 DSD SEAVA Hybrid DAC (edited.....I had written it on my paper. Sigh.)
Auralic Vega/Aries
Grace Design M920
Benchmark DAC2 HGC
Lampizator Amber
Mytek 192
Oppo HA-1

I've begun investigating these, but I've come to no conclusions as it is too soon. When I posted my question, I hadn't put much thought into the possibility of a DAC with volume control since my T-8 preamp is so new to my system. I don't want to hold back my system by insisting on keeping the T-8 and foregoing a potentially better alternative though. Each time I buy a new component, I realize significant increases in my listening experience. I'm sure most of us have made this journey.

My declaring a $2500 budget was based on the approximate cost of the AVA Fet Valve CF Preamp with Remote Control and phono circuits included. My heart is not necessarily set on that preamp nor is the budget set in stone; it was more about synergy and a convenient target. If the stock markets are kind to me in the coming months, I may feel more inclined to increase my budget. Additionally, I'm all for buying a slightly used unit off an AC member once I know which unit I actually crave. [Hey, sfox, time to sell your new Lampi 7!!]

I'm aware I have a tendency to start out thinking I want 'X' component because it is at an arbitrary price point and/or clever marketing. I may buy that unit only to discover a few months later that I really should have bought 'Y' or 'Z'. They are more expensive, but deliver significantly better sound. I'd very much like to avoid making that mistake with this next purchase. It may require my forcing patience onto myself till I truly grasp what it is I want or need.

Hmm. There was something else I wanted to say, but it slipped away.

Mr. Esseguie  :lol:

RDavidson

« Reply #43 on: 20 Oct 2014, 06:58 pm »
Someone also mentioned the Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 DSD SE. I upgraded my DAC 2 to SE status a couple of months ago. It is a fantastic sounding DAC, very flexible, and well built. W4S is a great company with excellent product support too. I'm not sure how upgradable the other DACs are on your list, but it is something to consider. Something else you might consider as a much less expensive entry to a MUCH better DAC than what you currently have is to get a standard DAC 2 used (which go for about $900 tops). Play with it in stock form for awhile, then when the upgrade bug bites, send it in for the upgrades.

mresseguie

« Reply #44 on: 21 Oct 2014, 08:11 am »
I couldn't help but notice an absence of a Bryston model. Prior to my discovering AC, I'd heard people raving about Bryston's DAC. Is it not so hot then compared to the above units?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #45 on: 21 Oct 2014, 10:29 am »
Sorry, but this thread (including my previous post) is feeding the DAC of the month mentality that has been an audio sickness for years.  This is the fastest moving segment of home audio reproduction and very costly to keep up with the latest/greatest.  So here are a couple of lower cost, but still high quality DACs that you can more than "get by" on:

CEntrance DAC mini CX ($800; PCM only - 24/192; optical, coax, USB, and RCA (analog) inputs; RCA, 1/4" headphone outputs; same size as your mini; 2014 Stereophile class A rated)

Halide Design DAC HD ($450; PCM only - 24/96; captive USB input/RCA output; tiny; 2014 Stereophile class A rated; smooth sound, good soundstage)

iFi Micro iDSD ($500; PCM768, 2xDXD, DSD256; optical, coax, USB, 3.5 mm (analog) inputs; RCA, 1/4" headphone outputs; small; flexible; battery power; great soundstage, almost tube like sound)

mresseguie

« Reply #46 on: 22 Oct 2014, 08:28 pm »
Has anyone heard of this, and/or have experience using it? It's just $389.00!

Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter
Features:
(5) sets of selectable inputs to allow you plenty of choices - including 2 sets RCA, 1 coaxial, 1 optical and 1 USB 
(2) sets of RCA Outputs tailored to your taste - one with transistor and one with a single 6N11 vacuum tube (can be replaced with 6922, E88CC, 6DJ8, 6H23n and CCa tubes) with passive volume control
DAC direct output - by pass tube buffer stage and volume control for you to match the DAC with other high end amplification (amp must have its own volume control as DAC direct output pass signal at full volume)
Built-in transistor headphone amp to allow you enjoy music in privacy (standard 6.5mm jack). Alternatively, you can use a RCA to 6.5mm jack adapter to connect headphones directly to the rear tube output. Note: front solid state headphone out can accept headphone with impedance as low as 16ohm; rear tube out only work properly with headphones with impedance over 300 ohm.
Key parts are of audiophile quality throughout
High efficiency low noise custom toroidal transformer which is usually only used on high end audio
Separate power supply to tube circuitry to reduce interference
Gold coated signal connectors throughout
No over-samping - input singal pass through at original sampling rate
TE7022 USB 2.0 decoding chip is used to process data at 24/96kHz
High quality Cirrus Logic CS4398 for main D/A converter - provide rich mid-range and low clock jitter
ADA4075-2 as opamp for sweet midrange
Dual voltage (115/230V +/-10% wide range) for you to take it with you anywhere in the world
Brushed aluminum faceplate and complete casing
Complete set of cables included: (1) IEC power cord, (1) RCA, (1) Coaxial, (1) Optical and (1) USB

Specifications:

Input: Optical, Coaxial, USB,Analong x 2
Input digital signal format: 32-192 KHz, 16/24 Bit auto detection. (USB 2.0 supports up to 24Bit 96KHz)
Output: DAC output, pre line output , tube buffer output.
SNR: >120dB.
Dynamic Range: 115dB.
THD+N: <0.0008% at 20-20KHz (tube out :0.02%)
Frequency response: 20-20KHz -0.2dB.
Output Level: DAC output: 2V, pre line output/ tube buffer output:max 6V
Output Impedance: Line out and Tube out - <20 ohm, DAC out < 600 ohm
Headphone output power: 110mW at 300 Ohm, and 600mW at 32 Ohm
Channel separation: DAC and Headphone output - 105dB; Tube output - 90 dB
Power consumption: <20W.
Net Dimensions: 10" W x 7" D x 2" H
Net Weight: 1.6Kg (3.5 lb)
Package Size: 12" W x 12" D x 4" H
Color: black faceplate or silver faceplate

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #47 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm »
Has anyone heard of this, and/or have experience using it? It's just $389.00!

I have not heard that DAC specifically.  Based on hearing similar DACs, my guess is that the tube will give it a different texture, but your DAC Magic probably sounds as good if not better.

Russ

geowak

« Reply #48 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:01 pm »
If it were me, I would attempt a trial of the Benchmark and the Auralic. I have the Benchmark USB DAC1 and it is very, very good. It upstaged my preamp, when using it as a preamp and DAC.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #49 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm »
Now that the US stock markets appear to have found a bottom, my mind has once again wandered into the 'How can I improve my sound even more?" space. With that in mind, I'd like to pose a question to anyone interested in answering. I understand responses may be very subjective, but that is fine by me.

If I wanted to move to that next level of nirvana, and I had a budget of $2500, would I get more bang for my buck by buying a new DAC or a new preamp? [I'd like to limit this exercise to DACs and preamps if possible.]

I'm open to suggestions of any brand or SS/tube/hybrid/etc. technology. I'm not necessarily dissatisfied with my system, but....well....you know....it's that bug thing. I can't stop wondering what will take me higher. 

My current setup is:

AVA 400R Fet Valve Hybrid amp
AVA T-8 Vacuum Tube Preamp
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus DAC
Oppo-103
Mac Mini (purchased new this year)
ProAc Response D2 speakers
I look forward to your input.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael you have a VG synergy with the AVA product line. IMO no need to change that. The source is key. DAC would be my recco. A used Berkley, or Aurilac just may do the trick for you.
      Opinions are nice however hands on is the only true way to find out. Have fun.

charles

mresseguie

« Reply #50 on: 23 Oct 2014, 05:44 pm »
Russ,

Thanks. I guess I didn't have high expectations, but one never knows...There are so many products out there. I don't wish to buy something that is simply a lateral move (or close to it).

Geowak,

I need to track down a Benchmark DAC dealer (easily done, I know) and cajole him/her into allowing me to take one home for a few days. I already have a decent relationship with an Auralic dealer, so I'll see about borrowing one soon. Based on my initial research, I'm looking at the Wired4Sound, Benchmark, Auralic, and Lampizator DACs (and possibly the AVA DAC) as being most likely to make me happy, but I am still open to trying other brands.

Charles,

Old habits die hard, so I can't help but do as much online reading/asking for opinions as possible before actually dashing out to borrow this or that component--plus most dealers are 90 minutes away. Of course, by my asking for opinions, I open myself up to others' prejudices and biases. Until this thread, I hadn't thought of AVA as being pedestrian, but now that tiny seed has been planted. Sigh.

I've really come to like being able to buy directly from manufacturers. This site (AC) has saved me thousands of dollars on products that I would have eventually bought at dealers. I would have acquired these components more slowly through dealers because of the much higher prices I would have had to pay. At the same time, I still try to buy some items from dealers because I want them to stay in business. Oh, yeah. Even though I've saved big bucks, I couldn't help but notice that I spent a lot more money on audio this year than I expected to one year ago.....and I STILL want to buy a DAC and better speakers!

Is there an Oregon branch of Audioholics Anonymous?  :lol:

geowak

« Reply #51 on: 23 Oct 2014, 06:46 pm »
I would call Audio Advisor. They carry Benchmark and have a 30 day return policy.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #52 on: 23 Oct 2014, 07:43 pm »
Russ,

Thanks. I guess I didn't have high expectations, but one never knows...There are so many products out there. I don't wish to buy something that is simply a lateral move (or close to it).

Geowak,

I need to track down a Benchmark DAC dealer (easily done, I know) and cajole him/her into allowing me to take one home for a few days. I already have a decent relationship with an Auralic dealer, so I'll see about borrowing one soon. Based on my initial research, I'm looking at the Wired4Sound, Benchmark, Auralic, and Lampizator DACs (and possibly the AVA DAC) as being most likely to make me happy, but I am still open to trying other brands.

Charles,

Old habits die hard, so I can't help but do as much online reading/asking for opinions as possible before actually dashing out to borrow this or that component--plus most dealers are 90 minutes away. Of course, by my asking for opinions, I open myself up to others' prejudices and biases. Until this thread, I hadn't thought of AVA as being pedestrian, but now that tiny seed has been planted. Sigh.

I've really come to like being able to buy directly from manufacturers. This site (AC) has saved me thousands of dollars on products that I would have eventually bought at dealers. I would have acquired these components more slowly through dealers because of the much higher prices I would have had to pay. At the same time, I still try to buy some items from dealers because I want them to stay in business. Oh, yeah. Even though I've saved big bucks, I couldn't help but notice that I spent a lot more money on audio this year than I expected to one year ago.....and I STILL want to buy a DAC and better speakers!

Is there an Oregon branch of Audioholics Anonymous?  :lol:

Check out the iFi iDSD - it is very inexpensive, but is a seriously good DAC (and is pretty much future-proof).  How good is it?  The iFi booth has gotten best sound at RMAF from Jason and I for 2 years in a row.  It's a also a seriously good headphone amp, too.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

Don't just take my word for it - Here is a professional review:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0914/ifi_audio_micro_idsd_dac_headphone_amplifier.htm

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #53 on: 23 Oct 2014, 07:47 pm »
+1 on the Benchmark DAC2 if you want sonic neutrality and exceptional transparency.  You can call them directly at 1 800-262-4675.  They will give you 30 days to try it out.  Rory Rall is a great guy to work with. 

I've owned that DAC for two years and can answer any questions you have about it.

Russ

coda304

« Reply #54 on: 9 Apr 2015, 10:19 am »
recently purchased the OPPO BDP-105D and love it! I can send SACD DSD via USB to 105D or PCM 352.8kHz

Pre-Pro - Krell HTS 7.1

AMP - Krell HTS 5 Channel

Mains - KEF XQ5’s

vhiner

« Reply #55 on: 1 May 2015, 04:33 am »
I would be very cautious about describing DACs in this price range "blowing away" each other. There are distinct differences to be sure, but the OP's current DAC is not lousy by any stretch....and I say this as an owner of a PSAudio DirectStream DAC. I'm surprised so many posters are assuming that a different preamp would not significantly improve the OP's system. Has anyone heard the OP's preamp?

Since I have not, I cannot offer an opinion about it, but I *have* listened to a number of preamps that did a great deal to improve a system's SQ.

With that in mind, I'd like to suggest the new iFi tube buffer stage. I have heard this $399 baby hold its own with at least two $4k preamps. Putting this device between whatever DAC you buy and your amp may surprise you. A 30 day audition is free and it's so small that shipping is hardly worth mentioning.

I don't sell these and I'm not associated with anyone who does. I've simply heard the iFi tube buffer in two very different systems and was seriously impressed.

Just a thought.

JLM

« Reply #56 on: 1 May 2015, 11:28 am »
2 points -

Get both:  Combo units (DAC, pre-amp, headphone amp) save money, a set of interconnects, and desk/rack space at the loss of flexibility.

If you're ready to give up DSD (and how many albums were recorded natively in PCM anyway?) and save $700 - 1500:  I can easily recommend Emotiva DC-1 (DAC, pre-amp, headphone amp) for $500.  I just picked it up and within a day is really performing well (review forthcoming).  Small and solidly built with all features available on the unit itself.  Has an analog input and all the digital inputs covered but the headphone jacks are only 1/8 inch.  Remote is made of metal but volume is touchy with all black on black buttons (no back lighting).  "Blue collar" reviewers agree that the sonic differences between good DAC's, like the DC-1 and others in the league of the Benchmark, is indistinguishable.

mresseguie

« Reply #57 on: 1 May 2015, 03:14 pm »
JLM,

This (about the Emotiva) is interesting news. Until now, I've mostly read that Emotiva products are mid-fi at best. I'd be interested in reading your impressions.

Back in October I had a top 'five' list of DACs I wanted to audition and was all set to begin trying them at home when I suffered a financial hiccup. Okay, it was more a backflip than a mere hiccup. I did not try a single unit. I'm once again on the hunt, but I'm budgeting under $1k for my upgrade.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #58 on: 1 May 2015, 04:32 pm »
I would be very cautious about describing DACs in this price range "blowing away" each other. There are distinct differences to be sure, but the OP's current DAC is not lousy by any stretch....and I say this as an owner of a PSAudio DirectStream DAC. I'm surprised so many posters are assuming that a different preamp would not significantly improve the OP's system. Has anyone heard the OP's preamp?

Since I have not, I cannot offer an opinion about it, but I *have* listened to a number of preamps that did a great deal to improve a system's SQ.

With that in mind, I'd like to suggest the new iFi tube buffer stage. I have heard this $399 baby hold its own with at least two $4k preamps. Putting this device between whatever DAC you buy and your amp may surprise you. A 30 day audition is free and it's so small that shipping is hardly worth mentioning.

I don't sell these and I'm not associated with anyone who does. I've simply heard the iFi tube buffer in two very different systems and was seriously impressed.

Just a thought.

To further the iFi love - I have a Micro iDSD and it's phenomenal.  I heard it at their booth at RMAF last year and it was one of the few "stunner" moments where the sound quality was WAY better than price would indicate.

JLM

« Reply #59 on: 1 May 2015, 07:01 pm »
JLM,

This (about the Emotiva) is interesting news. Until now, I've mostly read that Emotiva products are mid-fi at best. I'd be interested in reading your impressions.

Back in October I had a top 'five' list of DACs I wanted to audition and was all set to begin trying them at home when I suffered a financial hiccup. Okay, it was more a backflip than a mere hiccup. I did not try a single unit. I'm once again on the hunt, but I'm budgeting under $1k for my upgrade.

Emotiva = high value and I agree, not known for high-end sound.  But this is from their professional line.  I don't have much experience with the current $1200 - 2000 DAC/pre/headphone amps and my ears hear mostly speakers/room in various systems.  Really don't know how anyone compares amps/DACs without A/Bing on the same system (then you run into synergy issues).  My duh moment was when I realized that I could save $$ by giving up on the DSD hype (almost all DSD is reformatted from PCM, native/pure DSD could only be a very purist exercise as it can't be manipulated like PCM).

My review will take a while as I'm using a $6, 35 foot optical cable from my iMac in the back of the room and it will be 3 weeks until the Cable Company has the loaner cables I wanted to home audition.  But by then the DC-1 should be broken in.  After 40+ hours it's sounding better and better.  For better or worse, won't be auditioning with $1000 cables on a $500 piece.

Another well reviewed, low cost, non-DSD DAC is the tiny Halide HD.  About $450 with USB and RCA captive cables.  2014 Stereophile Class A rated.  Just a DAC, no controls or displays.